X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advertising VS. Word of Mouth

I will agree that the full page ads in the Yellow pages are a waste of money. Years ago (read many years!) we had a quarter page ad. And unlike others in the business we would reduce the size as time went on. I (we) have a Fencing contracting business and we use a basic sign on the job... just the name. We've found in years past thats all you need them to remember (they can then find you in the book!). We have a small presence in the yellow (or what ever color they are now) pages to make sure they know we're still here.

So, word of mouth is great! We get most of our business like that. BUT! If they can't find your number, and they usually look in the yellow pages, they don't know you are still there.

JMO,

Clato

Comment

clato, nothing wrong with fencing. but i would think that since most people probably get competitive estimates for fencing, the whole ambulance chasing scenario doesn't apply.

typically with plumbing repairs, emergency issues. people that don't have a regular plumber, end up looking in a book and get taken by those full page ads.

just compare the amount of plumbing ads to any other trade in your local book. out here there are over 40 pages even the binding and back cover too. no other trade has this many ads.

just like any other service or professional, referrals are the best. having a total stranger show up at your house is a crack shot. you might get plumber crack

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I'm right there with clato on this one. I agree for emergency work they are headed for the Yellow Pages until they find someone who can come out but there is no reason to be the largest ad.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

P Crack, NO
          THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

P Crack , I do not think so.
            THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

crappy,

You blew your comedic come-back. You should have follow up your "No" post with a post which said something like, "I don't think so"

Mark

Comment

LOL-Now that is just too funny

Comment

Word of mouth and envelope openers, jar openers, once in the house keep your name around there and you will be fine. Put stickers on the water heater, g/d, in the toilet tank, when the customer needs it fixed, they will call you. Main thing, just get in the door first!
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

I sometimes think my yellow page ad is a complete waste of money but when I run the numbers I find I have more then doubled my investment.
                    I have a tracking phone # that is ONLY used in my ad so I get a report each month so I can tell exactly how many calls I've got as direct result of the ad.
                    The report also contains how many missed calls, peak call hour,peak call day etc...
                    The ad is realizing a profit but more importantly it's creating a customer base that is spreading the word on my service.
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Has anyone out there heard about WideCircles.com. It seems like a way better service then wasting money on PPC. Apparently they are using refering websites ( forums, blogs, wiki, etc. ) and have a viral word of mouth distributed approach to it. My friend told me he got around 100 visits from single post which cost him $0.40c. I am going to give them a try today . In case you are intrested here is it. http://widecircles.com?s=imt1

Comment

I have to say that my business, while tiny, (Just me most of the time) mirrors Ricks. Never advertised. But stay busy. It's honestly got to the point where people call and I don't know how they know me. "You did work for Bob's sisters' neighbor. Their cousin said you could help me."

Comment

I target areas with post cards, 1,000 at a time, to date, every mailing has had a return along with a profit.

I have a large amount of repeat customers and referall customers, my main amount of business is referall.

I also have a large network of real estate agents that I have built up pretty rapidly, one referall was all it took.

I send a large amount of traffic to my web site and have recieved many compliments on it because it brings me closer to the customer, on a personal level.

The other day I had a customer give me a flyer that was over 7 months old, an old black and white i happened to drop off when I was working for his neighbor. He said he checked out my web site and held on to the flyer.

Besides that, caring about the customer and respect for their property, and clean work, this is what my comapny is built on.
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

I don't know how to get started, never had to do it. I hired into a friend's company, making it all of three people. A couple years later he mentioned he was thinking of selling it; wanted time for other pursuits. So I bought a piece of it and mostly let him do his sculpture, make him work once in a while.

I do know how to grow it though (now, three years later, we have just become five). I agree with all that referrals are the way to go. Just do good work, and understand and meet your customers' needs. Make your customers happy and give them a few cards. It will grow itself if you do good work. I have had to keep the brakes on growth until I find the right person to hire; I won't risk the reputation we've built by sending just anyone out. Then it gets lean again $-wise for a little while until I let it build enough to keep the new person busy. I let it expand until I am nearly overloaded, then find that right person and go crazy trying to get it all done while training them, then rest for a while while it builds some more. I do maintain yellow pages ads as people who want me need to be able to find me. Other than that, we don't advertise.
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Wow This Is An Awesome Bb. I Just Found It Today.
                              I Am Also Just Getting My Business Off The Ground And Using Bulletin Boards Like This One, Here In Colorado, Has Attracted Some Attention. Then The Referrals Start And More Business. It's Great.
                              ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                                I get more and more referrals and repeat buz as time passes...I almost feel like I'm cheating with the ad budget.
                                This hit me like a time capsule, I vaguely recall posting this and wanted to reiterate how true it is.
                                This week I've gotten a lot of calls, but most of the new ones are turning out to be inquiries or tentative work requests for the future.
                                I'm not sure if it's just chance, or a sign of the economy, but right now I'm booked through wednesday with old customers.

I don't feel like I'm cheating the budget now, thats for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X