X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional membership required

What do you guys think about having a forum for only those in the plumbing trade. This is how it would work:

-you would have to apply for membership/ must be in the trade or retired from it and have proof.
    -the moderators would recieve your application and decide on who gets in.

the benefits:
    -the professional forum cannot be seen by nonmembers. This would allow us to post tricks of the trade, business procedures, pricing, etc. We wouldn't discuss these and other topics in front of our clients/customers so why discuss openly on the net.
    -elevate plumbing to a respected trade. With the free knowledge that is given to DIY's and all of us are guilty of this (other than Dog); we've given knowledge earned through years for free and instantanecly. I love helping people out but sometimes I feel we're losing the respect that plumbers deserve. Anyone can do it is a common sentiment.

Any thoughts, good idea/bad idea?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Professional membership required

Good idea. Most of the forums cater to the Diyer. They wouldn't exist without our input, but delete plumbers only posts.

Comment

we can always use the chat forum and only members are allowed to use it.

actually, for me it would get boring only talking shop with others in the trade.

we all actually learn from each other. and i too sometimes get frustrated with the diy questions. but i also get frustrated with the flat vs. t&m discussions too.

sometimes, no change is a good thing.

lets take a poll and see what josh has to say. he's the one that can pull it off if needed.

ben, do you know how to poll?

or josh is it even a feasable request?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

[quote=PLUMBER RICK;83482] ben, do you know how to poll? quote]

Are you kidding, I just learned that you don't type only w/ your index fingers.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I like the idea alot.
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

The only thing about the chat is there's no record of the conversation. I go back occasionally to reference comments, etc. With the chat, once it's gone it's gone. Also, I can only type so fast with 2 fingers.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ben, no worries. Those fingers start getting really fast.

That's what Rick does!

Joey
              phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, are you going to tell me how to poll or do I break the computer in fustration?
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ben, i don't think you can add a poll to this thread. i think you will need to start a new thread and before you post it, scroll down to the bottom of the page on options. check off polling and it will direct you to 4-10 poll questions.

i would rather have you do it, (for experience) than me

come up with some good poll questions and we'll see what josh thinks

you already know my feeling. that doesn't mean i won't participate if it happens, it just means 1 more forum to monitor and i just don't see it.

truthfully, i don't feel that the homeowner is taking away our business. the non professional handyman, is more of a factor.

just my thought.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

There will always be DIY whether we have a private forum or not. I actually like it when a DIY tries to fix something. I mean, half the time they just create more work for us anyhow. Besides I suppose we are all DIY in some ways.
                    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      What do you guys think about having a forum for only those in the plumbing trade. This is how it would work:

-you would have to apply for membership/ must be in the trade or retired from it and have proof.

the benefits:
                      -the professional forum cannot be seen by nonmembers. This would allow us to post tricks of the trade, business procedures, pricing, etc. We wouldn't discuss these and other topics in front of our clients/customers so why discuss openly on the net.
                      -elevate plumbing to a respected trade. With the free knowledge that is given to DIY's and all of us are guilty of this (other than Dog); we've given knowledge earned through years for free and instantanecly. I love helping people out but sometimes I feel we're losing the respect that plumbers deserve. Anyone can do it is a common sentiment.

Any thoughts, good idea/bad idea?
                      You guys are behind time. This is already happening at other places(forums). It's great because your all at the same level, well damn near all. Most of the talk isn't even about the job site. Just a bunch of tradesmen that became friends and share experiences. It really is a nice thing, and no DIY'rs to piss you off. Good luck with it.
                      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I wouldn't want to be a affliated with a club that would have me as a member

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                          You guys are behind time. This is already happening at other places(forums). It's great because your all at the same level, well damn near all. Most of the talk isn't even about the job site. Just a bunch of tradesmen that became friends and share experiences. It really is a nice thing, and no DIY'rs to piss you off. Good luck with it.

don't you remember, we already have our own golf team. josh is the captain.

adam's the water boy

actually some of us out this direction have been very busy on the phone and discussing both shop and personal matters.

i think that we are more proficient on the phone than computer.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            don't you remember, we already have our own golf team. josh is the captain.

adam's the water boy

actually some of us out this direction have been very busy on the phone and discussing both shop and personal matters.

i think that we are more proficient on the phone than computer.

rick.
                            Yes, and golfing is so much more fun than work. Also a lot less arguing over simple jobs like gluing and primer.
                            I just had to say that guys, sorry don't get pissed off..
                            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

[QUOTE=gear junkie;83468]What do you guys think about having a forum for only those in the plumbing trade. This is how it would work:

SOUNDS LIKE CHURCH TO ME
                              the benefits:
                              -elevate plumbing to a respected trade. I feel we're losing the respect that plumbers deserve. Anyone can do it is a common sentiment.
                              Plumbing lost respect when big box stores started selling water heaters and plumbing pipe to home bodies. and having a class to teach everyone how simple glueing pipe is. Then lower prices on W Heaters And blindly the plumbers follow suit. Then cry ripoff to the plumber with the one page add, and his prices. If you want respect stop playing beat the depot price and raise your to what your top company in your area is charging

Comment

Working...
                              X