GPS - what do you use

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GPS - what do you use

The GPSMAP 76CX is a nice unit. I have been on the fence thinking of upgrading to that model for a while now. Will probably pass the GPS-V on to my brother who wants one.

I like the Gramins because the interface is intuitive, you can figure it all out /o even cracking the manual open for the most part.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Ok so I just figured out the difference between my Garmin and Rick's Mio 310x. My Garmin tells me that I have arrived on my destination and it is on the right (or left) depending on where it is located. Rick's just tells you that you have arrived at your destination.

His was less expensive though

I know this seems minimal, but the whole point of having a talking GPS is so you can just drive without having to try to figure out where you are going, watching traffic, and making sure you don't go through a red light and get your picture taken at a camera signal light.

Mrs. Seat Down

yeah, but mine tells me where the red light cameras are located and starts to beep

also you have a 50/50 chance with your eyes closed that the destination is on your side of the street.

rick.
      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 07-07-2007, 01:25 AM.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I've used Garmins primarily for hiking and navigating the woods at night while hunting. They're sometimes dangerous if you use the straight-line home (back to camp) feature. Using the backtrack feature works better. No GPS yet invented will tell you if you're getting into a thicket or a dangerously sloped ravine.

For car navigation, I've tried a few. When I travel, I'll try and get a car with navigation. However, these units do NOT tell you a whit about traffic!! I missed a flight out of Atlanta because the nav unit told me to go straight through town at 4:00pm on a Friday. I made the airport about an hour after my flight had left. Next time I travel, I'm going to have my own nav unit!! I just need to find one that can be programmed, portable, and has GOOD traffic updates.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

No GPS or computer can replace the intelligence or processing power of the human mind. It is only an aide to which one must apply lessons learned and experience to blend all the information together and develop an sound decision on how to proceed. Just like having a plumbing, electricians, or engineering license by itself does not make one an expert if their particular specialty.

Some of the newer units can access near real time traffic information and overlay it on the screen using your cell, this is a service you have to pay for.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

I only use Mrs. PC.
            Software version- Wife 1.0

Pros-
            Never wrong with directions (even if she was)
            Always knows the next closest restroom
            Constant updates on which lane to be in
            Audible alerts when going too fast or following too close

Cons-
            No user manual available at time of release
            Unable to adjust volume
            Too expensive to justify cost
            Can be bulky at times especially during the holiday travel season
            Best when operated from the rear seat

I was wondering if she reads this forum when I'm not around. I guess I'll know the answer pretty soon

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              I only use Mrs. PC.

Pros-

Cons-
              Unable to adjust volume

I was wondering if she reads this forum when I'm not around. I guess I'll know the answer pretty soon
              Love it, you have the "Ultimate" model, with all the bells, whistles, and perks. Does so much more than letting you know which way is North.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                I only use Mrs. PC.

Pros-

Cons-
                Unable to adjust volume

CRACK, THIS IS CLASSIC !! MADE ME LAUGH THANKS
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Plumberscrack....one possible problem with that version is they really start to have problems if you try out a different model!! They've been known to explode, and cause physical injury in such cases.
                  I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                    Plumberscrack....one possible problem with that version is they really start to have problems if you try out a different model!! They've been known to explode, and cause physical injury in such cases.
                    Too bad that warning was not clearly posted on the label at the time of purchasing.
                    I did try out the demo model (fiance 3.0) for several years though without incident.
                    Now, about once a month, if I push the wrong buttons it gets hot and begins to operate erratically.

Comment

I have the garmin nuvi 350, its actually small enough to fit into a pocket. the battery life i get is around 5-6 hours which is good since its portable enough to walk around with it some. i really like the feature where it says the street names so it will say turn left on washington street instead of just turn left.
                      bought it online about a month ago for 360 shipped.
                      as with others you have to use you're brain a bit if you know the area at all as it may not give the route you wish to take but it will get you there without any problems if you dont know the area at all

Comment

Just ordered a Garmin Nuvi 680. We'll see how that works out. Should be here Thursday.

Steve
                        Steve
                        www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

I'm sure you'll like it steve. I am very happy with how the 330 performs. Only complaint is the map is a couple years old. The nuvi 680 will have the newer version of the maps.

Josh

Comment

I wanted the larger screen so my eyeballs could maybe read it. We have a Garmin i5, and I can't see a thing on it!
                            Steve
                            www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Josh....yes, the GPS makes life a lot easier. So much better than printing out maps off of map quest the night before.(not only are they often incorrect but dont help you when you miss a turn or have a detour) With that said, I bought a GArmin I5 for the wife right after we moved here. She loves it when she has to use it. She does have routes where she is comfortable now but there are times when she sticks it up on the window, and goes to her address. I remember one time she went into Charlotte with a girl she works with, I gave her directions but told her to turn the wrogn way one time, the gps picked it up and sent her the right way. They sure save time In my eyes.
                              I do use my mappoint with my laptop, although it does work, it doesnt recalculate a wrong or missed turn automatically or are the audibles as loud. The other downside is the laptop has to sit on my seat and not on the window. Granted, there are times its not needed, but when it is, it is a life saverJust my 2 cents for ya.

PS....Every sales rep should have one...hint hint.
                              Last edited by silverbullet; 07-18-2007, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                                Love it, you have the "Ultimate" model, with all the bells, whistles, and perks. Does so much more than letting you know which way is North.
                                The model I have keeps telling me where to go...over and over and over.

Comment

Working...
                                X