GPS - what do you use

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GPS - what do you use

older garmin GPIII. never used it for anything but sailing navigation. never got lost once in the Caribbean but i also covered my *** with dead reckoning.

good enough for the old salts, gotta be good enough for me.

fancy road overlays aren't available for this little rock

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I've got the Garmin GPSMap60CS. I've had it for about 3 years now - great all around model. Does an excellent job of a varied set of features. When I am doing turn-by-turn routing, though, there is no voice saying "Turn left now" - what mine does instead is beep to get me to look at the screen, and then a great bird's eye view of the corner that I'm coming up to, and then a countdown to my turn (78 metres remaining, 62 metres.....etc.).

But, my model is also primarily designed for a different feature - outside of a vehicle. But, as my name may allude to, mine is primarily intended for a different type of urgency.

I tell ya, though - I train people on how to use these things, and I am slowly becoming more baffled and more scared for people's safety. Everyone is getting these things in their vehicles, and they're an amazing technology, and very useful for this. But, many people, without knowing really what they are doing, think that since they can use these items to go 16 blocks away for milk and groceries, they can just as simply use them for a 7 day backpacking excursion into the wild yonder. And they're fubared.

The biggest mistake that we're finding people are making with these things is that they forget that they are simply another tool - and tools can fail (no pun intended, but as we all know and understand). What we need is for people to realize that navigating in a city is a helluva lot different from navigating in the middle of nowhere. The horror stories are piling up, up here. People are forgetting how to learn about and use basic navigation - knowing how to read a map, how to use a compass, how to read the sun and moon, and just to have a firm grasp of where in the hell they are. Then, they realize one small truth - they're batteries are dead in their $649 dollar mini-computer, and it's as good to them as a rock. Those are the times that I know of that people have prayed and wished that they had a $20 compass and a map. Or just some common sense.

That being said, most of you appear to be in the L.A. area - sounds like navigation that you are using these for are a perfect fit for this technology. And I see that most are using Garmin models and maps - good choice. Glad to hear everyone's having fun with them.

Cheers.

Comment

Coulda REALLY use a road GPS on the last trip this weekend. Went waaaaaaaaaay out in the boonies to a "Remote Area Medical" thing that I volunteer at. My rider/navigator couldn't read a map! However, I didn't find this out until we were deep into the trail and FAR off our intended route to the motel. At that point, I took the map, and my little GPS radio and worked out how to get out of that woods and back to the highway. Shouldn't have let it get that far, but it was early and it was a nice scenic forest road. Fortunately, we had time and I knew I had backup (I ALWAYS carry a compass and up-to-date maps). Even if the GPS had failed (which it didn't), I could've found where we were on the map and made it back. As long as I didn't let the "navigator" read the map that is......
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
          Alright guys... I am playing around a bit with GPS to see how well it would work for our sales force.

Just curious how many of you use a GPS unit in your trucks/vans. I took one on a long trip over the weekend and it made me feel like a local everywhere I went.

I know Plumber Rick has a MIO220 or 2. I have been using a Garmin StreetPilot 330 that has worked really well.

So anyone else on the GPS bandwagon?

Josh
          Josh,

I do a lot of wilderness stuff, particularly in the California desert. I use a good liquid-filled compass. It may not be the new tech. thing, but it works with no batteries, and if you know how to read it, is the most reliable tool for directions. If your people aren't up to it a GPS won't work either. Try MapQuest.
          the dog

Comment

Dog,

A compass doesn't talk to you

The best part about the GPS is I don't have to read a map and drive at the same time.

When I get lost or miss a turn, which is ALL THE TIME, it simply re-routes me.

Joey
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

now the problem is that when i tell joey to get lost she doesn't anymore. she always knows where she is and what time she will be home

dog if you would like to borrow my gps for the week, call me. i'll let you give it a test drive.

with service work, 3-6 jobs a day, it comes in handy to route you fast and it finds any supply house, food , gas, park,ect... by name or location. all for the price of a real good compass.

days of doing the math long hand are pretty much over.

call for a test drive dog

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                now the problem is that when i tell joey to get lost she doesn't anymore. she always knows where she is and what time she will be home

dog if you would like to borrow my gps for the week, call me. i'll let you give it a test drive.

with service work, 3-6 jobs a day, it comes in handy to route you fast and it finds any supply house, food , gas, park,ect... by name or location. all for the price of a real good compass.

days of doing the math long hand are pretty much over.

call for a test drive dog

rick.
                My gps is mapquest,don't go anywhere unless i have a mapquest diections

There is nothing bettter then getting lost and ending up at the gas station trying to communicate with hispanics on how to get on the freeway

But if i say mexico they will probably draw me a map

Comment

Mapquest...every job I do I keep a copy of a map to the nearest highway with all contact info...when I get repeat biz I have them on a zip drive, simple print and go.
                  Also a great way to look back over old customers.
                  I also have the Plutonium Q-39 Space modulator.

Comment

I'm a real man I just use my built in navigational system I was born with.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                      I have been using a Garmin StreetPilot 330 that has worked really well.
                      Josh
                      Garmin 320 here. Basically same as 330 but uses SD cards instead of internal hard drive. I had a hard drive fail on a previous GPS (car can be a rough environment) and didn't want another GPS with same fragility.

Garmin 3xx is leaps and bounds better than my previous Magellan that cost about a grand.

Comment

Working...
                      X