X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS - what do you use

Alright guys... I am playing around a bit with GPS to see how well it would work for our sales force.

Just curious how many of you use a GPS unit in your trucks/vans. I took one on a long trip over the weekend and it made me feel like a local everywhere I went.

I know Plumber Rick has a MIO220 or 2. I have been using a Garmin StreetPilot 330 that has worked really well.

So anyone else on the GPS bandwagon?

Josh

Re: GPS - what do you use

My Blackwood has the factory GPS but my work truck as a Tom Tom G0 910.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
      Alright guys... I am playing around a bit with GPS to see how well it would work for our sales force.

Just curious how many of you use a GPS unit in your trucks/vans. I took one on a long trip over the weekend and it made me feel like a local everywhere I went.

I know Plumber Rick has a MIO220 or 2. I have been using a Garmin StreetPilot 330 that has worked really well.

So anyone else on the GPS bandwagon?

Josh
      mio 310x it is fairly basic, but you get a lot of bang for the buck. even talks in 12 different languages. i think the russian girl likes me

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I use the magellan, good stuff, when I am on the phone and miss the turn, it just re-directs me, no matter how many times I miss it I keep the Thomas Guide just for the back up, you can never rely on electronics to much
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

garmin nuvi 360. 1st and only one I ever used so I can't compare it to anything else but I love it.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Garmin( I forget what model) in all 6 drycleaning delivery trucks. Does all the things a high end Magellan I had for personal use, but better. Even speaks spanish for the latino drivers that don't speak english. Love the way it lets me track where they are, how long they were somwewhere, etc.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Anyone use the traffic function. I wonder if LA would cause the unit to overheat trying to find an uncongested route

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                Anyone use the traffic function. I wonder if LA would cause the unit to overheat trying to find an uncongested route

josh, you have a personality don't you? You only laugh because your not stuck in it
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Rand McNally.
                  With reading glasses.

I have been whining about how bad I need a GPS for waaayyyy too long...keep talkin' guys..all ears here.

Comment

I use a Garmin version too. Rick's GPS is more current as far as new developments and streets though. All I care is that it talks to me and I don't have to read a map.

Josh, there is a seperate toy that tells you about traffic. I forget the name.

That is the bad thing about the GPS - it tells you the most direct route, but it can be longer due to traffic

Finer-don't teach Rick about that tracking feature

Mrs. Seat Down

Comment

I wouldnt be able to handle the traffic there. Wait till your up in my neck of the woods some time you wont believe how light rush hour is. Traffic we get all upset about is 2 am traffic in LA.

You do have awesome weather there though. And I guess the pacific is a bit nicer than lake erie.

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                      josh, you have a personality don't you? You only laugh because your not stuck in it

Comment

I got my first Garmin (GPS-75 for ~$650) in 1992 I think it was. Text only displays back then with a breadcrumb trail with no map overlay. I still have it and it works but I do not use it any longer. Eats batteries like candy and the receiver is only 8 channel polling type so takes longer to acquire and update positions. I later bought a Garmin GPS-3 (12 channel parallel w/active antenna) and then a GPS-V both of which I still use. The wife has a Magellan roadmate I bought her a couple years ago but I don't remember the model. I've bought each of the kids a GPS too in the past year, a Roadmate and a Garmin. I also have one that's part of mobile computer and navigation system in the Hummer.

Before GPS I played with running LORAN in the truck.

Overall I like the Garmin units the best. I prefer a true GPS and not one of the newer turn-by-turn "Speak and Drive" systems. One where I can enter waypoints and routes, hook up to my computer and plan routes, download track files, interface with other equipment like my ham radio, and also use portable when on foot.
                        Last edited by Bob D.; 07-05-2007, 10:12 PM.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

lol i'm old school i use a map, though i have been thinking of getting one here with in the next year or so
                          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I used to use the PC Delorme 2004 untill it broke. Was better than the Microsoft PC 2004. I now have the Microsoft PC 2006 one because it is better than the Delorme PC 2006. They cost around $120.

Comment

I am with Bob. I use a Garmin GPSMAP 76CX. Although the screen is smaller than a dedicated car unit it is way more versatile. I use it in the car, boat, snowmobile, ATV, and walk about. It comes with a 128M memory chip that can be swapped or a larger chip installed. The 128 is sufficient to store a mapped route from Toronto to Florida with roads and attractions 60 miles either side of the highway down and the entire state of Florida. The only issue with that much versatility is that all the different mapping software can get expensive. I bought mine online here, excellent price and service

Comment

Working...
                              X