Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Starting Drain Cleaning business - Need advice

Originally posted by Ozone89 View Post
    Oh boy..that was ugly! Both sides made good points though...and that's why we don't use the mayo system..and use or own. Ours is a flat rate, but based on a T&M ..if that makes any sense.

I'll go back and edit my last few postings, so I don't fire up the troops.
    don't change a thing, let us get fired up. Keep it real.
    Brent

Comment

Originally posted by BAPlumber View Post
      don't change a thing, let us get fired up. Keep it real.
      Nah man..I've been on the play ground enough for the last few days...lol I almost single handedly started a riot with the Drain cleaners of the board..I won't touch the other issue...unless someone wants to push me into the fire j/k

Comment

[quote=gear junkie;88768] I do not do side work. My boss is to good to me to go around him.

Ben - My father encouraged his employees to do side work...that's how a young tech learns. If they came and asked..my father also let his employees use small material for their side jobs.

It did bite him in the butt with 1 guy..but my father always treated his employees like sons, and paid them top dollar, and incentives for raises.

Am I allowed to talk about that..or will that fire up the troops? lol

We are good on the other thing Ben.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          That's why I said you are over-generalizing. It's too easy to look within our own personal little sphere and make assumtions based on what we see. Our service trucks were 14' Harbor Super-Structures with tilt-forward cabs. Even though drain cleaning was not our main business we carried four machines and various lengths of 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4" and 7/8". Then the shop had two jetters and two 1 1/4" machines.

What type of truck do you drive and what do you carry? What do you wish you could add to your truck?

Mark
          Mark, i'm just going by what I see. Lets see, I have a Spartan 1065 with 150' 3/4" cable, a Spartan 300 with 75' of 5/8, one extra drum of 75' for the 300, two spartan/milwaukee 700s/drills, one with 25' 5/16 spring end, one with an 5/16 erickson double drophead. I also have a spartan 100 with 75' which will be replaced this week with a RIDGID K-3800. Woohoo! Also one big jetter at the shop.
          Still debating on the K-60....

I had a small gas jetter for awhile but was never satisfied with it. My work vehicle is a regular chevy one ton van that's rather full with the machines and other plumbing related stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by TomSV650 View Post
            Mark, i'm just going by what I see. Lets see, I have a Spartan 1065 with 150' 3/4" cable, a Spartan 300 with 75' of 5/8, one extra drum of 75' for the 300, two spartan/milwaukee 700s/drills, one with 25' 5/16 spring end, one with an 5/16 erickson double drophead. I also have a spartan 100 with 75' which will be replaced this week with a RIDGID K-3800. Woohoo! Also one big jetter at the shop.
            Still debating on the K-60....

I had a small gas jetter for awhile but was never satisfied with it. My work vehicle is a regular chevy one ton van that's rather full with the machines and other plumbing related stuff.
            tom, the 1065 should be able to handle your big needs. don't know why you need the 300 also on the truck. kind of an overlap. the 3800 and spartan 100 are almost identical.

i have the 300 that now sits at my house for an emergency. the 3/4'' k-7500 is my drum machine. i very rarely needed the 1/2'' drum machine or 3/8'' drum so i took them off the truck. i keep the k-60 with 150' of 7/8'' and the k-50 with 150' of 5/8'' and 3- k-39's on the truck. also a gas and electric jetter.

i've done 2'' traps with my 7/8'' k-60 and the 5/8'' is great for 1.5''-3''. the flexibility of the sectional cables are great for hard bends. i have good luck on outside area drains and styrene pipe with the 7/8'' cable. and on a roof top vent, you can't beat it, period.

you will find a good use for the k-60 and that will clear up a lot of room in your truck. the 50 is a bonus, but the 60 will also run the 5/8'' 50 cable. what do you use for roof top main lines?

you'll find that once you get use to a sectional cable, you'll love it. just ask mark or ben

don't take my word for it

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

The 300 is my mainline roof machine and it will also fit through bathroom doors where the 1065 often won't. My spartan 100 machine is old and tired and needs replacement.

The K-60 i'm sure will be in my future because i'm not getting any younger!

Comment

Working...
              X