X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting Drain Cleaning business - Need advice

Originally posted by Ozone89 View Post
    My statement:
    Don't be mad at Tom. You may not feel this way but this is the perception you give off. I had the same feeling. This is a written forum so we can only perceive what we read, we can't take body laguage into account.
    To be honest, I really don't care how I am perceived,because I didn't join this board to be apart of any cliques with secret handshakes.
    Your problem is how Tom "assumed" that you're bitter because of what you wrote. If you don't care how you write or the perception you give off, be prepared for a lot of miscommunication. You can be the smartest, most competent plumber out there but if you can't convey the message you're trying to get across, what's the point? You'll be a genius in your own mind.
    I shouldn't have to sit here and justify anything to you or anyone else. You're half right..this is not only a written forum..but a public forum. I'm not forcing you or anyone else to click on this topic or read anything I say. If you don't like what I have to say..don't read it..or don't respond..it's that simple.

There is a boat load of stuff here I don't like...but I never called anyone out on it either. Call us out, don't be afraid. We're here to learn and exchange ideas. Can't do that if everyone what's to be quiet. That was one good thing about Dog.

People didn't like that I said Drain cleaners should be licensed to touch a Plumbing system. Tough tootles..plenty of places in this country where it's written into law...lot's of places in Pa are one of them.

Let me give you a bit of advice...

If you choose to be a business owner one day, you are going to care about the illegal Plumbing being done and the code not being enforced(if you're a plumber). I'm going to go out on a limb and say..you never lived in an area where the code was never enforced. The code is there to protect you...and the consumer.
    You would be pretty darn ticked off..after you spent 5 years on the job and at least 4 years in school to get your license, and come to find out Joe Handyman is hiring out for Plumbing without a license.

You would be angry at guys buying freon at the supply house..when they don't have a license to buy it. Anger equals bitter. Sounds like Tom was right. I don't get mad about it because I've done lots of work because of "guys buying freon". More work for me.

People who say it's being bitter are the ones who commit these acts. It's called protecting the trade!

Also..

Don't you think for a minute that a customer is forever..because they like the work you do. All customers look at the bottom line and what it's going to cost them. I'm willing to bet almost 50% of the customer base..don't care that you licensed. To them it's just a valve to replace..or a faucet to install.
    You're so wrong in so many ways on this. If your price is fair and your quality is high you will have customers. If the customer just wants a low price and that's all, that's not the kind of customer I want.

Be or put yourself in someones shoes before you try and criticized someones perception. If you feel this strongly about it, then I must have hit pretty close to home. [/quote]

I hope you read this twice and see I'm not attacking or belittling you or your opinions. I want to see and exchange ideas and opinions. Stay around awhile and let's see what we can teach and learn from each other.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by TomSV650 View Post
      Not at all. Just think about it, most plumbers just don't have the room to carry many different types of snakes. Of course there's lots of good plumbers who do drain cleaning right and want to do to it right, but there's many out there who don't. It's usually the one man shops who don't.
      That's why I said you are over-generalizing. It's too easy to look within our own personal little sphere and make assumtions based on what we see. Our service trucks were 14' Harbor Super-Structures with tilt-forward cabs. Even though drain cleaning was not our main business we carried four machines and various lengths of 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4" and 7/8". Then the shop had two jetters and two 1 1/4" machines.

What type of truck do you drive and what do you carry? What do you wish you could add to your truck?

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Ben/Ozone,

We don't need to make this personal as we can all agree to disagree. I wish there was a national standard for all contractors but there is not. That is the fault of our elected officials not the fault of those who are working within the system.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          Ben/Ozone,

We don't need to make this personal as we can all agree to disagree. I wish there was a national standard for all contractors but there is not. That is the fault of our elected officials not the fault of those who are working within the system.

Mark
          You're exactly right and I agree 100%.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

[quote=PLUMBER RICK;88744][quote=Ozone89;88734]

To be honest, I really don't care how I am perceived,because I didn't join this board to be apart of any cliques with secret handshakes.

believe me, there are no cliques here there is always going to be people that agree with what you, i, others say and then there's the rest of the crowd

i'm sure i've made friends, at least that i can count on 1 hand and enemy's, probably more than both of our hands. then there's the ones that just go away

as you probably have read by now, there are a few subjects that get the pot stirred. your topic and my flat rate topic

stick around and let the discussion cool off. you're not going to get people to change. at least not the regulars here.

i believe that the drain cleaners here on this forum are here to better themselves. the ones that really need the lecture are the ones that you see at the supply house and don't have a clue.

i saw one yesterday at the supply house, buying his first hand snake. he was so green that i had to laugh. he already was bragging about how he is going to start selling sewer jobs for $5,000. since the going rate was $12,000.
            this from a guy that didn't even own a snake for 30 seconds.

the guys here i feel are much more qualified and are here to learn.

i look down on the ones(plumbers or drain cleaners) that are out to rip off the public.

give it some time to cool off and add to the post that are not as hot.

the plumbers forum is hot, lets not catch fire. the wood forum needs to catch up

rick.
            Rick -

I honestly didn't know that this subject would stir the pot. That's because I come from an area where everyone has to be licensed. It didn't dawn on me right away, that there are people from around the country who don't have to be licensed to drain clean.
            You're correct that some don't know what they are talking about, and they type without thinking. (I'm not perfect either..I'm good for a few stupid attacks!)

I just think everyone should care about what they do..it makes us ALL look good in the end...it was the point I was trying to stress in so many words.

Anyways..

nothing to see here..I had to edit.
            Last edited by Ozone89; 08-15-2007, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Good way to change the subject, ozone.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

[quote=Ozone89;88752][quote=PLUMBER RICK;88744]

I wish everyone was flat rate.
                Oh, no..........................
                Brent

Comment

Your problem is how Tom "assumed" that you're bitter because of what you wrote. If you don't care how you write or the perception you give off, be prepared for a lot of miscommunication. You can be the smartest, most competent plumber out there but if you can't convey the message you're trying to get across, what's the point? You'll be a genius in your own mind. I will agree that a person's tone can be misconstrued through a computer screen. But calling someone out is kind of childish if you ask me. I didn't come here for that but to exchange ideas and to let everyone know they should pick up a code book and READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Anger equals bitter. Sounds like Tom was right. I don't get mad about it because I've done lots of work because of "guys buying freon". More work for me. Here is the definition of bitter that I like to use for this..very difficult to accept or bear; "the bitter truth" Some here can't bear or distinguish the difference between fact and opinion. I always go by the code book..there is a reason for code books..and if I'm going to enforce the code in my area, I have to adhere to them myself and be able to teach and explain the code.

Maybe angry was a poor choice in words, cause I associate angry with flipping the F out. More..upset..how about that?

You're so wrong in so many ways on this. If your price is fair and your quality is high you will have customers. If the customer just wants a low price and that's all, that's not the kind of customer I want. How can I be wrong in so many ways, when you expressed an opinion yourself? How could you know, if you have never been a business owner? (not taking a shot at you..but asking a valid question) Business in Virginia is much different then business in South Eastern Pennsylvania. I know all about doing quality work and fair prices..I agree with you..but you have a certain percentage of tire kickers and time wasters. When your slow and have employees to pay along with the other bills..you have to deal with those people and work for them. When your a business owner..you still have to take slop work and P.I.T.A customers..for your slow times.

If you feel this strongly about it, then I must have hit pretty close to home. Correct..I feel strongly that one should put themselves in another shoes before they pass judgment.

Last edited by Ozone89; 08-15-2007, 10:17 PM.

Comment

nothing to see here
                    Last edited by Ozone89; 08-15-2007, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• Re: Starting Drain Cleaning business - Need advice

I wish everyone was flat rate.
                      Katie bar the doors

Comment

Katie bar the doors
                        nothing to see here
                        Last edited by Ozone89; 08-15-2007, 10:42 PM.

Comment

here's a flat rate thread if anyone wants to read it.
                          http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ight=flat+rate
                          Brent

Comment

Ozone, I will answer the one direct question you asked then will not respond after that. I'm not a business owner. I'm #1 active duty navy, and #2 a subcontractor with a local HVAC and plumbing business. I understand the concept of repeat business because I deal with it every week. I get referrals from my customers and repeatedly have to turn business down because of my commitments to the Navy. All my customers get my personal cell phone # and can call me directly anytime and give the number to whoever they like. Any jobs I get through referrals are treated as company jobs. I do not do side work. My boss is to good to me to go around him.

I have a business license but am unable to get my contractor's because PSI exams won't except my Navy time or education. I'm covered by our master plumber and hvac tech license. This is another reason why I don't do sidework. I will admit, I do not run a company and nor do I have people who work for me. I appreciate your passion, this is your family owned business, livelyhood and income. When I retire and start my own business, I to will feel just as strongly. I was never passing judgement, only making an observation. As stated before, I will not respond to any further comments on this issue.

Ben
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by BAPlumber View Post
                              here's a flat rate thread if anyone wants to read it.
                              http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ight=flat+rate
                              Oh boy..that was ugly! Both sides made good points though...and that's why we don't use the mayo system..and use or own. Ours is a flat rate, but based on T&M ..if that makes any sense.

I'll go back and edit my last few postings, so I don't fire up the troops.
                              Last edited by Ozone89; 08-15-2007, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Ben/Ozone,

Mark
                                I agree 100% but..for those who don't follow and knowingly break the law..they are part of the problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X