X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How much do you make an hour?

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
    Yeah, NYC, here I come!! I will deal with the parking if I can charge, with a clear mind, $300-$500 hr
    robert, at that kind of money, we could hire a limo company to drop us off and stay with the van. the driver will worry about parking, gas and tickets.

i think a limo is $80 an hour. and drain cleaning is $650. an hour.

imagine the look on the customers face when you pull up in a limo.

imagine the look on the customers face when you give them the drain cleaning bill

lets pull up a nyc yellow pages and get some realistic #'s

almost forgot, i don't recommend the yellow pages

almost forgot. the only time i've been ripped off on ebay, was a few weeks ago buying a new k-50 from a nyc mechanical contractor. i guess times are tuff and he had to sell his equipment. problem is he was selling nothing

rick.

not sure if tieger plumbing can afford to post here.

at his going price, the post will cost him hundreds in lost wages
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Tieger plumbing
      Nope my insurance One man is $57,000 plus I have to have a commerical store front ($1,200 per month) plus utilities and insurance for the office and maintain my vans and equipment.
      $57k?? Is that what the average rate is around the country? If so, that's just nuts!! You'd have to charge probably $60/hour just to survive!
      YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
        $57k?? Is that what the average rate is around the country? If so, that's just nuts!! You'd have to charge probably $60/hour just to survive!
        $60 would not be enough, that would be starvation wages.

120,000 ($60*2000 Hr )
        -57,000 Insurance
        _________
        $63,000

Now take taxes, SSI, Medicare, Health Ins. Licenses, vehicle expenses, tool repairs and replacement (except the RIDGID stuff, that lasts forever) storefront rental and maintenance, etc. from that $63K and if you've got two nickles left, you're doing good.

Oh and don't forget the $125 to buy a new copy of the code
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

Comment

Originally posted by Tieger plumbing
          Nope my insurance One man is $57,000 plus I have to have a commerical store front ($1,200 per month) plus utilities and insurance for the office and maintain my vans and equipment.

NYC will not let a LMP work out of their home unless it is comerically zoned.
          tieger the only thing that you stated that is off the wall is your insurance cost.

the majority of my customers are doctors and lawyers. along with homeowner associations. my insurance is steep for the home owner associations, but your's is nuts. i can't imagine every 1 man plumbing shop is that much.

the equipment you mentioned is just a drop in the bucket of what i own. your $1200 a month rent, doesn't even compare to what my shop cost me a month that i own. still by charging twice as much and working half as much is not exactly something to be proud of. it tells me that the customers are paying for your laziness.

i would love to see your insurance coverage. i know what i pay and others know what they pay, but i don't think for a second your liability insurance for a 1 man shop is 57,000.

simple math tell me that's $1096.00 a week and $156.00 a day 7 days a week , 52 weeks a year. it doesn't add up in my books.

there might be a reason why your rates are so high, i just can't figure it out since i shop mine every year. i don't do steam boilers.

if that's how you run your business great, nothing i would be proud of or would want to share with your customers.

retiring at 40 is great, but at whose expense did it come?

rick.

robert, you see what you started
          phoebe it is

Comment

So how much do you make an hour?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

LoL, had to do it for the fun I do agree on some of the points, I don't agree with the insurance cost, that must be a typo, not for a 1 man shop.

Continue the discussion, I am going to get some pop-corn!
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Its seems like any thread that discusses money always leads to arguments. Hope this stays more civil than the mole electrocution thread.

Comment

Sylvan obviously needs to have higher rates than everyone else when you figure he is only working 15 hour weeks and paying $71,400.00 just for insurance and store rental (incredibly cheap by the way). At $100 per hour he would only have $7.17 per hour left to pay for his vans, utilities, equipment, taxes and his own personal salary.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I'm all for everyone making as much money as possible. Regardless if you're hourly or flat rate.

True Story -

I took the Master Plumber test in New Jersey..and they have business and law on the test. Well..the state gives an example(in their text book) of how you should charge for a job. Some of you guys would have a heart attack at how much they say we should charge.

It all boils down to the economics of business. Look how much a builder makes on the sale of a house they build.

Lawyers make loads of money to know the law and argue for you. My buddy got charged $300.00 for a 30 minute phone conversation with his lawyer.

I also saw a program that states..Plumbing systems installed should be 17% of the cost of the home.

I hope everyone here makes as much money as possible.

Comment

Since we are on the subject of money, I will have to make a comment on the conversation I had this morning with the owner of a plumbing company.

He uses a flat rate book when he quotes his job, he shows the customer his book, they are very happy when he gives them the lower price of the 2 prices in the book.

sigpic

Robert

Comment

Since we are on the subject of money, I will have to make a comment on the conversation I had this morning with the owner of a plumbing company.

He uses a flat rate book when he quotes his job, he shows the customer his book, they are very happy when he gives them the lower price of the 2 prices in the book.

I do the same thing. I will bring the book in, show the customers the 3 columns i have.... Service, Preferred, AddonThen they ask, how do we get to be preferred customer...show them how...Then i will usually tell them, let me give you your options..To this day i have never had a price complaint, objection, or recall on a price..Customers love it Greg
                        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

He uses a flat rate Robert what did you do?!! You said dreaded F.R. word!!book when he quotes his job, he shows the customer his book, they are very happy when he gives them the lower price of the 2 prices in the book.

Thanks Robert, you've sabatoged my thread. No worries, it'll get interesting real soon.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

How'd we go from hourly profit to flat-rape pricing?

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              How'd we go from hourly profit to flat-rape pricing?

Mark

Its all the same...still need hourly percentages to make up flat rate
                              The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I had a conversation with a customer of mine that I was doing a remodel for.
                                He was hemming over the prices he'd gotten from builders, electricians and plumbers.
                                He said "I went to 4 years of college, have over ten years experience as a programmer and I sub at $75 on projects...why should I pay a guy $85-$100 to do manual labor??"
                                I asked him how much his equipment costs, travel time/gas, advertizing and overall expenses.
                                His start-up figure was around 3K...for a high end computer, editing software and compiler, he worked from home so travel was minimal, his source for work was online - no advertizing needed.
                                After giving him a crude itemization of my overhead he said "OK...gotcha...lets chalk that up to inexperience and change the topic before your rate goes up!"
                                Ben, I bill at least 3 times what I "need" to make an hour IF I were employed 40 steady hours a week.

On smaller jobs I won't pull out the truck keys if I'm not making more then that per hour...I tell the customer up front what my rate will be and warn them if any additional work is needed it'll be more.
                                I've made $2,500. in one day, but then I've gone a week with nothing.
                                I think "Ozone" said something to the effect that you have to bill with the frame of mind that work WILL slow down.
                                Thats about right on target.

Comment

Working...
                                X