X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do you make an hour?

This is not a flat rate discussion!!!! I'm interested for business owners, after everything is paid for i.e. gas, materials, taxes, employee wages, etc. how much do you figure you make an hour?
    Last edited by gear junkie; 08-19-2007, 11:14 AM. Reason: I can't spell
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: How much do you make an hour?

That is a very general question in my field as it's const'.Every job has different unseen variables.

When out on a job I would like to see $700.00 a day.

But you have to realize how much time and energy that goes into that one day of work.

Adam

Comment

probably about 2 cents net

ben hard question and answer.

it varies. there is no set answer for me.

depends on a few factors.

at the end of the year, i can figure it out pretty easy based on my gross and my net. then divide my total billable work hours and also my total hours billable and non billable.

i know my fixed expenses for the year.

maybe the gopher can figure it out better than me

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I'm too expensive for me to hire.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          I'm too expensive for me to hire.

Mark
          In all reallity Mark,Doesn't that go for every single human being
          As each individual can provide his/her individual need.

Even the Trophy girl has a price for her PROS AND CONS.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            That is a very general question in my field as it's const'.Every job has different unseen variables.

When out on a job I would like to see $700.00 a day.

But you have to realize how much time and energy that goes into that one day of work.

Adam
            wow, $21000 a month....not bad...

Comment

Thanks adam, I have to work 7 days a week, make 700 a day now, she knows it's possible

I think 700 a day, for 6 days is good, of course in service and repair it is up and down, an average of 700 a day sounds feasable. some days you make 80, others you make 2000, up and down.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Ben,

The reason the question is so hard is because you have to average it out over the entire year. Your monthly cost remain the same whether your phones are ringing or not. The hard part for most new business owners is understanding how to budget for the hard times.

Mark

Comment

The reason for my question is that I'm trying to figure out what I want to do in my way distant future. Open my own business, work for someone else? I understand most people who start their own business do it for control (in a good way) rather than money. I'm just curious after all was said and done, what I would make. Maybe here's a better question; what rough percentage of your money is yours after everything is done and paid.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    Ben,

The reason the question is so hard is because you have to average it out over the entire year. Your monthly cost remain the same whether your phones are ringing or not. The hard part for most new business owners is understanding how to budget for the hard times.

Mark
                    Bingo Mark,I am inking less than one project a month so there is a lot of reasources invested into building an entirely new network.Later on the numbers will be entirely different.

On the other hand Gear,for associates I charge $85.00 per hour.I cannot live on that because the tit-for-tat sporaticism(2hrs per week average)for service work ain't enough,I'm not geared for it.I'm more geared for ground up.But you understand this as much as anyone

Zeljka,see that's why so many are leary of talking money.So many see numbers that are eye popping.So many want the money.So few understand the knowledge and reasources needed to provide for what they are charging for.There is a great deal of investment that goes into the compensation that the customer pays for.I can go on and on.

21,000 a month,in my dreams.Look at how much time I spend on the forum.You have to know Robert and I would much rather be working in our field than yanking each others posts

Me and my big mouth

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      The reason for my question is that I'm trying to figure out what I want to do in my way distant future. Open my own business, work for someone else? I understand most people who start their own business do it for control (in a good way) rather than money. I'm just curious after all was said and done, what I would make. Maybe here's a better question; what rough percentage of your money is yours after everything is done and paid.
                      If you start out with the proper business plan you will always make more money on your own. It may be slow starting but if you stick with it you will make it. In addition, to your income you are also building assets when you own your own business.

Mark

Comment

I charge 90 bucks an hour. Strictly service and repair. I have done one new house for money, and one for Habitat for Humanity. Last year, my first full year of business, I made 80 grand. 50 in wages, the rest in disbursements and loan repayments. However, I didn't make any pension contributions. If I closed up and went back to the hall, I would get 40 an hour, plus the pension and insurance. But I would probably be working for some "get it done wrong faster" type. Hourly, I am way under scale, but I plan on building the business into something valuable and that will make up for the unpaid time I put in now.

Comment

Very tough one for anyone to answer on here and probably uncomfortable to post in your line of work. Its easy for salaried employees like me to answer what they make (I'll never tell ;-) I would guess in the plumbers line of work its feast or famine. You take entire days setting stuff up for big days like drtyhands 700 dollars a day then you have some days where you make squat. As your career goes on and your name gets out there more your 700 dollar days probably increase. You guys deserve every penny you make. Some plumbers do incredibly well financially but they put in the hard work to get there.

If Adam is making 21k a month he needs to hire me onto his workforce .

Actually.. 21k a month in CA pry just gets you by... I cant believe the cost of living out there :-0
                          Last edited by Josh; 08-19-2007, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                            If Adam is making 21k a month he needs to hire me onto his workforce .
                            you would think with that kind of money, he would be a better golfer

the way you golf josh, you should be making that kind of money.

i thought all the big deals were made on the golf course

maybe adam can treat us to golf the next time

i forgot he did beat joey and i in mini golf and i had to buy the desert

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              This is not a flat rate discussion!!!! I'm interested for business owners, after everything is paid for i.e. gas, materials, taxes, employee wages, etc. how much do you figure you make an hour?
                              Insurance is a big one, it really can eat into your bottom line. The company I work for does about 20 million per year in work. Everyone eats but no one is getting rich.

Comment

Working...
                              X