Marketing question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marketing question

Drain Medic, what that company did to you was wrong. We do not pay for a lead on a loss. We DO offer gift cards to the plumbing company to GIVE to their flooded clients for our services. Paying for a lead is a sure path to destruction for a water damage company. The minute someone offers more money, you are out the door. We build our relationships on mutual benefit and trust. We also buy the whole place lunch once a month whether they've sent us anything or not.

My comment about "beer money" was in response to Plumdog's immediate attack on my character. However, the basic principle remains. There are professionals and then there are the butt-crack fellows who spend their entire paycheck at the bar on Friday night. I was hoping to speak with professionals and that is not how Plumdog came off to me.

Comment

Originally posted by verticalsmile View Post
      Dan asked a serious question about networking with plumbing professionals in order to better serve the public.

What he received was a smart@ss answer by some grunt who like to play the board bad@ss, and likes to judge what he doesn't really understand.

Then somebody who accuses him of being a shyster looking to rip someone off.

When Dan shot back at dog, D'medic pretty much tells him to kiss off.

Was he supposed to kiss your a55 first?

pathetic. really pathetic.

Except for adam

Chris.
      chris welcome to the ridgid forum. before you defend or point fingers, you have to realize that we are not new here. dog is a plumber that is very good at what he does. he typically doesn't answer homeowner questions.

i know it looks bad, but if you stick around and read some of the posts from days, weeks, years back, you will see we are actually a good group of guys and a few girls too

unfortunately we all have our opinions of water clean up companies. just like most people have an opinion of lawyers

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by danpauselius View Post
        Drain Medic, what that company did to you was wrong. We do not pay for a lead on a loss. We DO offer gift cards to the plumbing company to GIVE to their flooded clients for our services. Paying for a lead is a sure path to destruction for a water damage company. The minute someone offers more money, you are out the door. We build our relationships on mutual benefit and trust. We also buy the whole place lunch once a month whether they've sent us anything or not.

My comment about "beer money" was in response to Plumdog's immediate attack on my character. However, the basic principle remains. There are professionals and then there are the butt-crack fellows who spend their entire paycheck at the bar on Friday night. I was hoping to speak with professionals and that is not how Plumdog came off to me.

So that is my experience with Restoration companies...It is a trust thing. i would recommend these people to my customers on the shear honesty that they had water damage, and or mold and they should get it cleaned up.

Who wouldve thought they were gonna tell my customers that i was recieving gift cards for every customer of mine that got the restoration company to do the work. Nothing against you or what you do, but i have had a bad experience with them and will for now on tell my customers to call a public adjuster, then they will take it from there.

The beerdrinking money, weather said on the heat of the moment or not. Alot of the plumbers here are very professional and have some great input...There has been alot of bickering lately about people showing off their new 300,000 cars and charging people $500 an hr.

I certainly take my career seriously, and will defend it, and myself till death.

Sorry if i came out strong, but this is my profession you are talking about to

again welcome to the forum
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Rick, I understand where you are coming from. There is good and bad in all industries. Water damage restoration is absolutely no exception to that rule. But surely, you know of one or two plumbers in your area you wouldn't let near a clogged drain.

I subscribe to the idea of delivering a service that exceeds the industry standard, not the average, but the actual IICRC S500 standard. I can assure you that the asbestos problem is not gone. Many of the abatement companies are because asbestos exists in a finite amount. Every pound that is removed this year is one less pound that will exist next year. Water damage is quite different. The reason behind the incredible growth in my industry is the sensationalism placed on mold by the main stream media. When I tell a client that there is no need to worry about a particular type of mold, they insist on having the remediation work done anyway and who am I to walk away from a paying customer?

Plumdog may be the best plumber to ever walk the face of the Earth but you can't deny that the guy is a bit rough around the edges (more so than average) Hopefully, I will be able to convince him that not every restoration contractor is rip-off artist.
          Last edited by danpauselius; 09-12-2007, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Most of the guys you just insulted are the business owner and not their "employees".

It seems as though you should be marketing plumbers in your area to create contacts with.

I hear Tieger plumbing is a thriving plumbing shop in NY with oodles of extra money for stuff.

Maybe you two should PM each other.

Dog, here I go backing you again

Joey
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
              Nothing against you or what you do, but i have had a bad experience with them and will for now on tell my customers to call a public adjuster, then they will take it from there.

I am a huge advocate of public adjusters. If you guys want to look at a class A rip-off artist, take a good look at most P&C insurance carriers. A public adjuster is like the home owners hired hitman against a rapist from their insurance company. I think you are doing your clients a great service by recommending a PA. Maybe you'll stumble across an educated, honest restorer that you can work with.
              Last edited by danpauselius; 09-12-2007, 11:53 PM.

Comment

MrsSeatDown, If a true professional was insulted by my "beer money" remark he/she should look in the mirror because only a hack would be insulted. A professional knows I was not talking about them. There are lots of "beer money" water damage guys out there, I am not one and would appreciate the proverbial thinning of the pack by someone calling them out. I would imagine most professional plumbers don't want those guys around either because it brings down your industry.

BTW, I realize those of you who are on our "left" coast don't always realize this but, there are about 9 million people who live in the state of NY and not the city of NY, LOL.

Comment

Dan, the guy Tieger that they are talking about, Imagine Mikey P, Bobvawter, Jimmy and Marty, all rolled into one.

Comment

[QUOTE=danpauselius;93522]Drain Medic:

In all honesty, I don't think an employee could give an educated answer to the question. Heck, most owners of any business have a hard time getting their head around solid marketing. If someone likes having a job ... good for them, but they are not generally qualified to talk marketing. "

Dan, this is what I was referring to. If someone successfully owns their own business, then they know about marketing.

I don't really care how many people live in NY city or state. My point is that there are restoration companies all over the country. Someone from L.A. is not hiring someone from NY.

Why don't you take your excellent marketing skills and market yourself to those 9 million New Yorkers to start?
                    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Hey Chris, I don't know this guy Tieger but he sounds like an interesting fellow. Maybe I'll have to go back and read some of his posts, LOL. I assume he's the guy they are talking about with the $300K car. If so, who cares what he drives or how much he makes? Isn't that the reason we ALL got into business ... to make money?

Comment

[quote=MrsSeatDown;93556]
                        Drain Medic:

In all honesty, I don't think an employee could give an educated answer to the question. Heck, most owners of any business have a hard time getting their head around solid marketing. If someone likes having a job ... good for them, but they are not generally qualified to talk marketing. "

Dan, this is what I was referring to. If someone successfully owns their own business, then they know about marketing.

I don't really care how many people live in NY city or state. My point is that there are restoration companies all over the country. Someone from L.A. is not hiring someone from NY.

Why don't you take your excellent marketing skills and market yourself to those 9 million New Yorkers to start?

Jiberish!

I didn't come on here looking to hook up with a new plumber from LA. Also, owning a business doesn't inherently make someone a great marketer. Are there bigger, more profitable plumbing companies in your area? Then guess what ... they're probably better marketers than you. There are definately better marketers than me in my area. The national franchises have this stuff down to a science.

Why do you seem so bitter? I'll put in caps for you ... I WASN'T TALKING ABOUT ALL PLUMBERS WHEN I MADE THE "BEER MONEY" COMMENT! If you are so deeply offended (and you are a professional) then you need to go back and reread this entire thread to put it in context.

Comment

I'll give you the address to Sylvan Tieger's plumbing list

The PIPDL.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PIPDL.

Don't say I didn't warn you (because I didn't).

Comment

Dan,

I for one would like to see you stick around and sell us on the need for what you do and why we need to refer a remediation company. I have had the same experience as others have mentioned and the first thing that turns me off is the offer of a kick back. In the first place it is illegal to do in California but in addition I have always felt if they can afford to offer kick backs they are ripping off my customer already.

I have also mentioned here in the past that it is important after water damage to write on the invoice the customer should find a restoration company just to protect the plumber form a litigation down the road. However, I have a hard time recommending one as I have yet to find an honest one. I had a Mechanical Engineer call me last week asking for a recommendation for a remediation company for a problem he had at his home. I told him I did not know an honest one so he should just get bids from a few different companies and hope for the best.

As far as the equipment on your trucks, some of us wish that was all we had invested in the equipment on our trucks. As for plumbdog I will let him speak for himself but I have a ton of respect for him and the work he does. Part of the problem here is you came into a forum which was designed for plumbing professionals to discuss business and do some network. At the risk of offending you you did come in here a little like a snake oil salesman.

Because there are so many plumbers out there who do not trust restoration companies you best bet would be to approach a new plumber with more technical reasons for why your work is important and less information about yourself. If you are honest and there is a need for your work you will find plenty of work for many years to come. Another thought is Insurance adjusters would love to find an honest restoration company. If you are not already I would try and get on the approved list of all of the local insurance companies.

Good luck-Mark
                            Last edited by ToUtahNow; 09-13-2007, 12:19 AM.
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Dogs immediately adverse responses are comical.

Comment

BTW, I realize those of you who are on our "left" coast don't always realize this but, there are about 9 million people who live in the state of NY and not the city of NY, LOL.
                                Sounds suspiciously like tigger. Could it be him in drag trying to stir the pot?

BTW "Dan", not everybody on the WEST coast lives in L.A. or anywhere in California for that matter.
                                ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X