X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marketing question

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    Dan,

I for one would like to see you stick around and sell us on the need for what you do and why we need to refer a remediation company. I have had the same experience as others have mentioned and the first thing that turns me off is the offer of a kick back. In the first place it is illegal to do in California but in addition I have always felt if they can afford to offer kick backs they are ripping off my customer already.

I have also mentioned here in the past that it is important after water damage to write on the invoice the customer should find a restoration company just to protect the plumber form a litegation down the road. However, I have a hard time recommending one as I have yet to find an honest one. I had a Mechanical Engineer call me last week asking for a recommendation for a remediation company for a problem he had at his home. I told him I did not know an honest one so he should just get bids from a few different companies and hope for the best.

As far as the equipment on your trucks, some of us wish that was all we had invested in the equipment on our trucks. As for plumbdog I will let him speak for himself but I have a ton of respect for him and the work he does. Part of the problem here is you came into a forum which was designed for plumbing professionals to discuss business and do some network. At the risk of offending you you did come in here a little like a snake oil salesman.

Because there are so many plumbers out there who do not trust restoration companies you best bet would be to approach a new plumber with more technical reasons for why your work is important and less information about yourself. If you are honest and there is a need for your work you will find plenty of work for many years to come. Another thought is Insurance adjusters would love to find an honest restoration company. If you are not already I would try and get on the approved list of all of the local insurance companies.

Good luck-Mark

Sorry, I had to paste your quote so I could reference it and take it point by point.

As I've said, I'm against kick backs. I am FOR helping the referring party look good and retain a client and thus, building a solid relationship with that referral source.

I am not sure how it is that I managed to come off as a "snake oil salesman". I thought I asked a pretty straight forward question and was just looking for some answers. You say that this board is for plumbing professionals to discuss business and network. I hope you will agree that only networking with other plumbers serves to limit your opportunies. I am a member of at least 5 trade BB and yet here I am, hanging out with plumbers. Why? Because the success of my company requires that I have a good understanding of what plumbers really want from a restoration company and although it's been a bit heated, I am certainly learning how NOT to treat our plumbers.

With regard to insurance adjusters looking for "honest" restorers ... If only that were true, LOL. Most adjusters seem to be interested in price, almost exclusively. We use insurance industry pricing software and yet, they try to beat us over the head some more. When an adjuster sends us a job, we kind of get stuck trying to keep him happy first and the customer second. That is no way to operate. the customer MUST come first. After all, it's their home. This is why I do not solicit adjusters any longer. I'd much rather get a good referral from a local plumber because we have a mutual desire to see the customer taken care of as best as possible.

The preferred vendor programs are the biggest scam running. Basically, what it does is send all of the work to a couple of companies in exchange for a drastically reduced bill. This isn't so bad if you are getting a TON of work from them on a consistent basis but it usually doesn't work out that way unless you own a large national WDR franchise like Servpro or Service Master.
    Last edited by danpauselius; 09-13-2007, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by res057 View Post
      Sounds suspiciously like tigger. Could it be him in drag trying to stir the pot?

BTW "Dan", not everybody on the WEST coast lives in L.A. or anywhere in California for that matter.
      I never said all West Coasters lived in CA so what are you talking about? Also, Chris Conner can vouch for my identity. If you think I'm some other plumber ask me a water damage question.
      Last edited by danpauselius; 09-13-2007, 12:38 AM.

Comment

It appears a lot of New Yorker's are asking Chris Connor to vouch for them lately
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

No, dan Is a real person. He is not Sylvan.

Dan, did you notice that I am always defending the so called impostor on the boards?

First Darren Lumpkin, now you.

Comment

Originally posted by danpauselius View Post
            If you think I'm some other plumber ask me a water damage question.

What good would that do? The only person who would know the answer would be me. And that wouldn't prove anything.

Comment

I still have my doubts about Lumpkin, LOL. But yes, I noticed. Feels rather odd to have my identity questioned.

Good point about the question.

Well, I don't believe any of you are actually plumbers ... so there! j/k

Comment

Jim Martin said he talked to Darren, as did Ken Snow.

I don't know why that is so difficult.

Yeah, i don't believe that I am a plumber either. WTF was I thinking?

Comment

Well, Chris ... I'm gonna get to bed here. The wife is making the "I'm really pissed because you're still on the f$%#ing computer" noise. So, maybe I'll pick this conversation back up tomorrow.

Good night all ... yes, even you MrsSeatDown.

Comment

YEah! I'm in the same time zone. My wife is threatening to break my computer.

Comment

Dan,

You may have missed my point. There are several Forums availabe for posting your question on this site. For what ever reason you posted your question in the Forum dedicated to "Professional Plumbers". Not that it matters to me but I believe your forum choice was what dog was referring to. Had you posted in the "Ask the Plumbing Expert" forum the response may have been different.

As far as adjusters it may be different in different parts of the Country but I have not had a problem out west with them. Most of the work we do for them anymore is as a second opinion but generally they are not questioning the value of the repair they are questioning the need for the repair.

As far as private adjusters go I have worked with a ton of them over the last 35-years. Most of them end up asking for kick backs and then I stop working for them. As a matter of fact I can give you the names of several who ended up doing prison time for it.

I remember one where the agent called a home owner to ask how the house was after the fire restoration only to find out there had never been a fire. The private adjuster and a guy in the insurance company got together with a contractor and did the whole job on paper and the owner never knew a thing. I'm not saying they are all bad but like anything it just takes a few to make them all look bad.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

What's the big deal here. It's a no-brainer. I have used many restoration folks as well as every other trade . I see someone who does quality work and has a good heart and I recommend them.I don't ask for any thing other than "don't make me sorry I recommended you." If you're in a new area , it takes time to build your network of contacts.I would hate to work around some of you pricks on this forum . I like to have fun .

Comment

Originally posted by apf View Post
                          What's the big deal here. It's a no-brainer. I have used many restoration folks as well as every other trade . I see someone who does quality work and has a good heart and I recommend them.I don't ask for any thing other than "don't make me sorry I recommended you." If you're in a new area , it takes time to build your network of contacts.I would hate to work around some of you pricks on this forum . I like to have fun .
                          I like to have fun too and I would go out of my way to work with any one of the people on this forum whether it was going to be fun or not. If I can learn by working with somebody, I could care less whether or not they are a prick.

Comment

Originally posted by danpauselius View Post
                            I am not a plumber, I am a restorer of water damaged structures. I am trying to figure you plumbers out. As a plumber, you will often be the first on scene to a water damaged property. Establishing working relationships with plumbers is key to landing the restoration contract if you are not one of the insurance company's preferred vendors.

My questions are:

Do any of you currently work with a water damage restoration company?

If you do, what things do you like about them and what things do you think they could do better?

Why did you choose THAT company over another?

What is your biggest concern when choosing a water damage restoration company to recommend to one of your customers?

Thanks for the honest answers. It will help me serve our current plumbing contractors better and also help us attract new ones.
                            To answer your first question: Yes have one, but may change because of last job they did for my customer..
                            They had a fast response time.This last time the guy was not very professional, lady was not to happy.
                            The reason I had that company is they sent out note pads and pens and use to have lunch every now and then at one of the supply houses,They also would send me 100 or 150 dollars for the having my customer call them.
                            My biggest concern would be that the company would have fast service,A person who understands the english, an can speak it clearly, and will get the work done with as little cost and inconvenients as possible.I simple offer the customer the name of a company I know that preforms that type of work and offer to call them out.As I remember, the company offered a service, that if I had a job that I did. That leaked on the floor. They would come out for free, No charge to me or the customer. Freddy

Comment

There is a local company in our area that advertises via radio that will do services similar to yours, but in his adds the statement is made that many of the "out of town" companies have contracts or at least some type of relationship with insurance companies, and are recommended via the insurance company.

My be you should try to contacting the local insurance agents or adjusters, in your area of business, and seeing about some form of referral via the insurance company end.

Now I know my area is no were near like yours, as the area this radio station covers is over 10,139 square miles but only has a population of about 49,782 people, and 13,000 of them are in one town on the outer edge of the coverage area.
                              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                              attributed to Samuel Johnson
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                                Dan,

Because there are so many plumbers out there who do not trust restoration companies
                                Now I don't understand why the Plumbers have a hard on for these Restoration Companies. Why is everybody thinking (talking) like this? Are they taking money and not performing their job? Are they over pricing? Is it a business that should not exist?

I think he should stay and communicate, this is one way for him to "learn" to get along w/Plumbers. By listening to what all of you here have to say and he can build from this. Just as you guys might be able to learn from him, I just hope this isn't Tieger in disguise.
                                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X