X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marketing question

Down in my hometown this spring there was a family that lost almost everything in there house due to water damage, wasnt a flood but a simple water leak behind the cabinet and the house had alot of stachybotrys (black mold).
    here is just a bit from the newpaper artical

Johnson family of Bloomfield has been coping with many lifechanging events over the past month. Their lives have been turned upside down all because of stachybotrys (black mold). The black mold was discovered in the family’s home in mid-May, forcing them to abandon their home andmany of their possessions. They have spent time in temporary housing, moving a total of three times in the past month.

Johnson said the water line to her dishwasher was the culprit. “It was just spraying out a real fine mist. It eventually rotted the floor and the cabinet. That is when we found the problem

the insurance company wants to settle theclaim with only a $10,000 check. “We are in disagreementas to what the problem is. They want to pay us
    for the mold damage. They don’t want to pay us for the water damage. They tell us there is a fine line betwee mold and water damage,” said Johnson. “My response was you can’t have mold without the water damage happening
    first.

i dont know anything about restoration companys, hope i never need one.
    but i do think that they would be important to get things cleaned up and make sure there isnt any issues after water damage occurs.

Comment

There is a local restoration company out here we refer people too and we have a great relationship with the reps. They always bring me my favorite candy

There is a need for restoration companies separate from plumbers and they should work together.

My problem was with dan. . .as he seems to be Tieger incognito. Why wouldn't he do market research in his own area or with his own plumbing contacts?

The reps from our restoration company go to the local trade shows and visit the plumber's shops to get themselves known and "market".

Why not go local? Why go on a national forum?

Joey
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I know Dan. He is not Sylvan. Just because they are both in the same state is purely coincidental.

Dan wanted to know what plumbers look for in a restoration company.

As Dan wrote.
        "What is your biggest concern when choosing a water damage restoration company to recommend to one of your customers?"

He wanted an objective poll of a broader market.

Here is his website.

http://www.nevercleaner.com/

Comment

Utah, I know exactly what you are talking about and it does occur here as well. The Public Adjusters that I work with have to pass a "gut" test with me before we do any business together. If I feel a guy is a slime ball, I'll refuse the work because one or two jobs is not worth the damage to my company's reputation. Now, I'm a 2nd amendment type of guy but there is one PA in my area who carries his pistol into the clients home and makes no secret of it. This guy also owns a restortion company so I wouldn't get calls from him anyway, LOL.

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
          My problem was with dan. . .as he seems to be Tieger incognito. Why wouldn't he do market research in his own area or with his own plumbing contacts?

The reps from our restoration company go to the local trade shows and visit the plumber's shops to get themselves known and "market".

Why not go local? Why go on a national forum?

Joey
          Mrs., I promise you I am who I say I am. I have never, and never will, pretend to be someone I am not. It's just sleazy. I hope we can overcome your first impression of me, LOL. I'm really a decent guy and I'm not trying to start anything here.

As far as "why not go local?" I wish I knew of a local plumbers BB, but I do not. I came here because I believe that plumbers are people first, plumbers second. Therefore, I figured I would get the same answer no matter the venue so long as I was talking with professional plumbers.

I DID misunderstand about the business and network comment. If there is a better place for me to post, please let me know and I will do so there.

Thanks guys (and the Mrs.)

Comment

Originally posted by danpauselius View Post

Therefore, I figured I would get the same answer no matter the venue so long as I was talking with professional plumbers.

(and the Mrs.)
            Wrong....

My hubby is plumber first then people...always late for dinner..working on weekends and eating like an elephant when in restaurant

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              Dan,

You may have missed my point. There are several Forums availabe for posting your question on this site. For what ever reason you posted your question in the Forum dedicated to "Professional Plumbers". Not that it matters to me but I believe your forum choice was what dog was referring to. Had you posted in the "Ask the Plumbing Expert" forum the response may have been different.

As far as adjusters it may be different in different parts of the Country but I have not had a problem out west with them. Most of the work we do for them anymore is as a second opinion but generally they are not questioning the value of the repair they are questioning the need for the repair.

As far as private adjusters go I have worked with a ton of them over the last 35-years. Most of them end up asking for kick backs and then I stop working for them. As a matter of fact I can give you the names of several who ended up doing prison time for it.

I remember one where the agent called a home owner to ask how the house was after the fire restoration only to find out there had never been a fire. The private adjuster and a guy in the insurance company got together with a contractor and did the whole job on paper and the owner never knew a thing. I'm not saying they are all bad but like anything it just takes a few to make them all look bad.

Mark
              Actually my problem is that:

You are using this forum for advertising, which shouldn't be.

I also don't have a high opinion of restoration companies, and salesmen in general.
              the dog

Comment

Mrs. West Coast, my wife would say the same about me, she'd just substitute restorer for plumber. Seems I'm rarely home for dinner.
                I just meant that people are people and plumbers are plumbers, geographical location shouldn't have much affect on the questions I was asking.

Plumdog, I was not advertising anything here, I was looking for "market research". You will notice that I never mentioned my company name nor did I give any contact info. As MrsSeatDown pointed out, a plumber in LA would probably not work so well for my company as we are not a national company. I wasn't even looking for any local plumbers. Just trying to get a feel for what you guys value in a restoration company so I can better serve our mutual clientel. I'm sincerely sorry that we managed to get off on the wrong foot. You are obviously well respected here for your technical knowledge, I am hoping that you can shed some light on the questions I originally posted about.

thank you
                Last edited by danpauselius; 09-13-2007, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Here's my opinion, take it or leave it:

This guy Dan-what-ever posts what amounts to an advertisement. I don't think the forum should be used for that, so I respond in my typical undiplomatic way.

I then get two private messages from a new member: versatile-what-ever, backing him up like a brother. Gee, I guess he just happened to join at the same time. I'm done with this thread, you guys can make up your own minds.
                  the dog

Comment

Plumdog, as I stated before, I didn't give my company name nor any contact info. You call that advertising? How well would a plumber do if all his ads failed to mention his name or phone number? If you really feel I was advertising that is YOUR issue.

BTW, could a few more people comment on things they like and dislike about restoration companies? It really helps me get a grasp on the general feelings plumbers have towards my industry.

thanks

Comment

wow i have sold my sole and agree with dog. for 2 reasons:

1 plumbers forum to talk with eachother not to have people come in and get chummy for money. ther are allot of us here who read often but dont allways respond. i like to read and fullly undersatnd before i open my trap. i worry that once the door is opened for the buisness end we will have reps and oinside sales guys farting aroung here

2. i have allot of experience with flood restoration companies. where i work we used to sub off of the 2 largerst firms on our provence. they allways like to scrimp and save, re use what they can and everthing has to be the exact same as it was. to be forced to repeat a mistake that was made by another 20 years ago is sich an insult to our trade and the customer.
                      how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Proplumb, there may be a very good reason they are asking you to do it that way. Most insurance policies say that the insurance company is ONLY responsible for returning the property to a "pre-loss" condition. If doing it your way would add to the cost of the job, more than likely, the homeowner would get stuck with that additional expense.

Restorers must walk a fine line between the homeowner and the insurance company. If we do anything that causes the homeowner to become angry (i.e. hand them a bill for more than their required deductible), we can kiss that referral source good bye. What usually happens is the restorer just eats the additional cost himself in an effort to avoid a bad situation for all involved.

Also, I don't think having non-plumber input is a bad thing. I WISH more plumbers, HVAC guys, roofers, adjusters and agents would pop in to the restoration forums. For that matter, I'd like to see homeowners add their input as well. Good information never hurt anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by danpauselius View Post
                          I am not a plumber, I am a restorer of water damaged structures. I am trying to figure you plumbers out. As a plumber, you will often be the first on scene to a water damaged property. Establishing working relationships with plumbers is key to landing the restoration contract if you are not one of the insurance company's preferred vendors.

My questions are:

Do any of you currently work with a water damage restoration company?

YES I do as I know how important it is to have a great clean up company to protect people from asbestos and mold and by having a professional clean up crew it saves a lot of folks from unnecessary lawsuits

If you do, what things do you like about them and what things do you think they could do better?

I think they need to work more with the first responder (plumbers in most cases or drain cleaners ) and not try bring in another contractor for a "finders fee" or commission

Why did you choose THAT company over another?

How fast they respond and neatness AFTER the fact

What is your biggest concern when choosing a water damage restoration company to recommend to one of your customers?

That they are fully insured and licensed and can really document what they did

Thanks for the honest answers. It will help me serve our current plumbing contractors better and also help us attract new ones.

Your Very welcome, Also if a plumber /drain cleaner etc. asks for finders fee or a comission or kick back You really do not want to work for this kind of thief as it cost the insurance company and the consumer more and we all pay the price for these mutts of society.IMHO

Sylvan Tieger,LMP
                          Last edited by Sylvan Tieger; 09-15-2007, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Excuse me Josh

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                            We dont hear from dog for a few days but he cant pass up on barking/bitting at the newbies.

Nice excuse, but if people realized the exposure (law suits) we face because a dummy did not know the risks of mold or asbestos or other toxic conditions that exist in the drain cleaning and plumbing / roofing professions when a sewer backs up or a heating pipe leaks and the insulation is found to be asbestos then you would take the clean up company as a very viable tool to this industry.

I know of a plumber who got hammered when he let a mercury gauge leak in a multimillon dollar home.

I think as professionals we should listen to what another professional asks to make working together a lot easier.

This is why there are licensed Master plumbers and those who work for them as class room studies do count...

Keep up the great work, Tieger Plumbing

Comment

Re: Excuse me Josh

????? What excuse... hmm maybe you quoted the wrong line

Originally posted by Sylvan Tieger View Post
                              Nice excuse, but if people realized the exposure (law suits) we face because a dummy did not know the risks of mold or asbestos or other toxic conditions that exist in the drain cleaning and plumbing / roofing professions when a sewer backs up or a heating pipe leaks and the insulation is found to be asbestos then you would take the clean up company as a very viable tool to this industry.

I know of a plumber who got hammered when he let a mercury gauge leak in a multimillon dollar home.

I think as professionals we should listen to what another professional asks to make working together a lot easier.

This is why there are licensed Master plumbers and those who work for them as class room studies do count...

Keep up the great work, Tieger Plumbing

Comment

Re: Excuse me Josh

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                                ????? What excuse... hmm maybe you quoted the wrong line
                                He's just confused.....you know.....with the new "Pipe Related Trades" thing. I don't think he really knows where he is.

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                X