X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marketing question

I am not a plumber, I am a restorer of water damaged structures. I am trying to figure you plumbers out. As a plumber, you will often be the first on scene to a water damaged property. Establishing working relationships with plumbers is key to landing the restoration contract if you are not one of the insurance company's preferred vendors.

My questions are:

Do any of you currently work with a water damage restoration company?

If you do, what things do you like about them and what things do you think they could do better?

Why did you choose THAT company over another?

What is your biggest concern when choosing a water damage restoration company to recommend to one of your customers?

Thanks for the honest answers. It will help me serve our current plumbing contractors better and also help us attract new ones.

Re: Marketing question

This forum is about plumbers networking with each other, learning from each other, sharing their problems. It is not about bed-wetting, calender giving, butt-kissing, suit-wearing, $300.00 haircut wearing, smooth-handed guys like you looking for "marketing opportunities.

What you need to do is find a couple of your kind, find a local watering hole, and share a couple of mixed drinks together. If it comes up in the conversation, you and your buddies should discuss why you don't have a real trade or profession.

Love,
    the dog.
    the dog

Comment

We dont hear from dog for a few days but he cant pass up on barking/bitting at the newbies.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
        We dont hear from dog for a few days but he cant pass up on barking/bitting at the newbies.
        The Newbies?

This is a guy looking for marketing information for free. I stand by my post.
        the dog

Comment

sickem boy............................................. good dog
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

is it a new york thing? or does this guy remind me of tieger

i just had a job yesterday that the homeowner called a water damage company to check on a sewer leak under the house.

they said it was no standing water and just a damp 5'x7' area.

it cost him $850.00 for literally a 30 minute job they sent 1 guy under with a tray of cat litter and a plastic bag to scrape some dirt. also a pressure washer wand to squirt some pine sol. they left 3 fans running and will return in 3 days to pick them up. the 1 guy came out clean and dry.

the owner was pissed

so my suggestion for marketing is to sell yourself so that you will get repeat business.

the clean up pitch left a worse taste in the owners mouth than the sewer stoppage

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I cannot know what the "other" company did under that house but chances are, it was not not done to the S500 standard. As far as a "real" trade or profession, you obviously don't know much about what we do. Look up the word Psychrometry. It invovles alot of math, specialized equipment and a dynamic understanding of "wet" conditions and how to properly mitigate the loss without leaving an open door for a $50,000 mold remediation job.

No offense to plumbers but the amount of money we are forced to spend on equipment would absolutely blow your mind. To set up one decent water truck will set you back an easy $85,000. As there are bad plumbers, there are bad water damage restorers.

A question for you, you go out on an emergency call for a leaking water heater. You arrive to find an inch of water throughout the bottom floor of the house. Do you tell them to just suck it up with a wet vac? Would you feel any responsibility if they did and then had a massive mold problem 6 months later?

With regards to "Free marketing advice", I don't get the impression you are the person I would want an answer from anyway. So ... are there any BUSINESS people out there or are you all just working stiffs who work for beer money like my friend Plumdog?
              Last edited by danpauselius; 09-12-2007, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by danpauselius View Post
                I cannot know what the "other" company did under that house but chances are, it was not not done to the S500 standard. As far as a "real" trade or profession, you obviously don't know much about what we do. Look up the word Psychrometry. It invovles alot of math, specialized equipment and a dynamic understanding of "wet" conditions and how to properly mitigate the loss without leaving an open door for a $50,000 mold remediation job.

No offense to plumbers but the amount of money we are forced to spend on equipment would absolutely blow your mind. To set up one decent water truck will set you back an easy $85,000. As there are bad plumbers, there are bad water damage restorers.

A question for you, you go out on an emergency call for a leaking water heater. You arrive to find an inch of water throughout the bottom floor of the house. Do you tell them to just suck it up with a wet vac? Would you feel any responsibility if they did and then had a massive mold problem 6 months later?

With regards to "Free marketing advice", I don't get the impression you are the person I would want an answer from anyway. So ... are there any BUSINESS people out there or are you all just working stiffs who work for beer money like my friend Plumdog?
                Well i imagine that comment just summed it up for you.... good luck getting answers now..should be interesting now
                The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Drain Medic:

In all honesty, I don't think an employee could give an educated answer to the question. Heck, most owners of any business have a hard time getting their head around solid marketing. If someone likes having a job ... good for them, but they are not generally qualified to talk marketing.

Someone (Plumdog, I think) said to "sell myself and build on repeat customers". I hope you can understand that my business is VERY different from yours. The average person will only have 2 water losses in their lifetime thus making repeat business nearly impossible unless you are dealing with someone who seems to attract disasters. Restoration companies MUST market to hub-referral sources, such as plumbers, roofers, HVAC guys, insurance agents and adjusters, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the absolute lack of professionalism. I actually thought there might be someone here who understands that businesses MUST maintain symbiotic relationships to thrive. My question was sincere and my intentions are to improve the way we interact with our local plumbing contractors.

Comment

Danpauselius,

Just got in from a 15 hour work day so i'm tired and i'll make it quick.That's our dog and we love him.

Please stay with the forum,I am scared of most of you guys.looking to learn what all the fuss is about,a flood that ten years ago you just rip up the carpet and shove a fan under it after you treat the base with the proper disinfectant.this is if a guy catches it before it start soaking into the walls.

I've been plumbing buildings for over twenty years not just houses.So i have seen alot of stuff come and go.This equipment is your investment,i understand.But i dont understand all the hooplah.

Mold has been around for millions of years.the only thing we did to get as far away from it was to start walking upright,i think we still had fur

I am going to make a mistake and i'm going to need someone i can trust to not scare my homeowner into giving the remediation company and his mold sidekick every penny they have and then bulldoze the house cause it is more uninhabitable than the closest house to chernoble's ground zero

I know the houses are tighter,so you dont need to reference that,if you work with mold,I'm assuming you do

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Are you trying to sell yoursef,we try to do more helping than posing here.

ADAM

Comment

Originally posted by danpauselius View Post
                      Drain Medic:

In all honesty, I don't think an employee could give an educated answer to the question. Heck, most owners of any business have a hard time getting their head around solid marketing. If someone likes having a job ... good for them, but they are not generally qualified to talk marketing.

Someone (Plumdog, I think) said to "sell myself and build on repeat customers". I hope you can understand that my business is VERY different from yours. The average person will only have 2 water losses in their lifetime thus making repeat business nearly impossible unless you are dealing with someone who seems to attract disasters. Restoration companies MUST market to hub-referral sources, such as plumbers, roofers, HVAC guys, insurance agents and adjusters, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the absolute lack of professionalism. I actually thought there might be someone here who understands that businesses MUST maintain symbiotic relationships to thrive. My question was sincere and my intentions are to improve the way we interact with our local plumbing contractors.

Ill tell you what..I use to use a restoration company...Im not going to lie, they use to give me a $25 gift certificate every time i would recommend them to a customer of MINE and they got the job.

I thought it was a pretty good idea at the time...until the restoration company starting telling MY customers that i was getting kickback from it.

So needless to say, MY customers were calling me back thanking them for recommending a company that i got kickbacks off of and that they had lost total trust in me for thinking that i was trying to rip everyone off...

These were residential and commercial companies.

Plumbdog was right for everything he said, i agree.

If you have some information on Plumbing or Drain Cleaning or anything else you might want to share with us...Great...we are all ears.

But when someone comes in here and asks if we are all stiffs and doing this for beer money??? then yes your going to get an UNPROFESSIONAL answer to an UNPROFESSIONAL question.

Welcome to the forum
                      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

try the local plumbing supply houses and trade shows. at the supply houses, they sponsor breakfast or lunch meals. at the trade shows they have give aways with scantily clad women showing off their assets

truthfully, i don't do any advertising and all my work comes from referrals and repeats. true, you don't have the clients like myself, but then again i've been at it longer than this whole mold and clean up racket has been around. 10 years ago it was asbestos, today it's mold and lead paint. tomorrow it's

every remediation company i see around here is an ambulance chaser.

more need to act professional and less preying on ones disasters.

rick.
                        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 09-13-2007, 02:43 AM. Reason: 10 years ago
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post

So needless to say, MY customers were calling me back thanking them for recommending a company that i got kickbacks off of and that they had lost total trust in me for thinking that i was trying to rip everyone off...
                          man that sucks, they must have had it in for you to pull something like that.

Comment

Adam, first let me thank you for a well thought out and intelligent response.

Second, I agree that "most" water losses and mold problems are not really that serious. Our industry has grown because of the never ending number of lawsuits that are filed every day. However, there are certainly dangers that exist that most plumbers are unaware of. They're not stupid, they just have no reason to know all the stuff I do about water damaged structures. Just as I don't know all about how water heaters and furnaces work. One of the best things we can do for our marketing is to train plumbers on the basic dangers that can occur in a water loss situation.

I do my best not to scare a client if I don't have to. Yes, I believe there are times to pull out the fear card. I was called for a consultation on a sewage backflow that filled the childrens playroom. The children were 3 and 12 months. These kids are at risk to the countless dangers that were in that water. The father told me he was going to take care of it himself and put the check from the insurance company in his pocket. I dropped every scare tactic I know of on this guy and he still declined service.

Now understand, I really didn't care if we got the contract or someone else did so long as it was handled by a professional, and I made him aware of that.

Comment

Dan asked a serious question about networking with plumbing professionals in order to better serve the public.

What he received was a smart@ss answer by some grunt who like to play the board bad@ss, and likes to judge what he doesn't really understand.

Then somebody who accuses him of being a shyster looking to rip someone off.

When Dan shot back at dog, D'medic pretty much tells him to kiss off.

Was he supposed to kiss your a55 first?

pathetic. really pathetic.

Except for adam

Chris.

Comment

Working...
                              X