Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPS Units

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GPS Units

    Ok, what do you guys use for GPS units in your van/trucks???

    I had a MIO for acouple of months, i loved that thing, of course someone broke into my van and stole cause i was an idiot one night and left it on the dash.

    Im going to buy a new one today, i like the MIO, but i hear TomTom is pretty good too...I was looking at a new Magellan RoadMate 1200, seemed pretty good and something i would be into..

    Any suggestions out there, or feedback on some of the ones you guys have??

    Greg
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

    www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

  • #2
    Re: GPS Units

    Not on a truck, but since this is in the open discussion, I guess it is fair game.

    I have a Garmin nuvi 680 on the Burgman. It has a large touch screen that is easy to read, and I like the Garmin turn-by-turn software. It also has am MP3 player in it if you want to listen to your tunes, and works as a handsfree phone with a Bluetooth enabled cell phone.

    Unless you need the traffic information, I'd opt for the 660 instead. It is less expensive, but doesn't include the MSM direct features of live traffic reports, movie times, weather, and gas prices. First year subscription is free, but I won't be renewing. I'm on the fringe of Cleveland's coverage, and it wasn't worth the extra to me.

    For pretty much the same unit, but smaller, take a look at the Garmin nuvi 350 or 360.







    See http://smorris.smugmug.com/gallery/3172883 for a few more images.

    HTH,
    Steve
    Last edited by smorris; 10-30-2007, 12:53 PM.
    Steve
    www.MorrisGarage.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: GPS Units

      I have heard alot of good things about the Garmins....The screens are a little to big for a work van IMO...would be perfect for getting in my POV which i think im going to do, thanks for the info and pictures
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

      www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: GPS Units

        Yeah, Garmin is pretty much the best in the business. I've been using a handheld eMap for years and it's never steered me wrong.

        For my car, I'm planning on building my own system with an integrated screen in the dash and a Garmin GVN-53 to feed it.

        If you use a window or dash-mounted one, a tip I've heard is to keep some wipes in the car and wipe off the mark from the suction cup when you take it off. Apparently thieves will see that and then break in, assuming it's in the glove box or something. These things are more profitable than stereos these days!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: GPS Units

          Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
          Yeah, Garmin is pretty much the best in the business. I've been using a handheld eMap for years and it's never steered me wrong.

          For my car, I'm planning on building my own system with an integrated screen in the dash and a Garmin GVN-53 to feed it.

          If you use a window or dash-mounted one, a tip I've heard is to keep some wipes in the car and wipe off the mark from the suction cup when you take it off. Apparently thieves will see that and then break in, assuming it's in the glove box or something. These things are more profitable than stereos these days!

          Yes 14 trucks/van had portable GPS units stolen from their vehicles..not going to say how they did it, but they were pros (dont want to give out any ideas). A good friend of mine and an HVAC contractor had his Garmin stolen from his van the same night...Its a ashame, but it is the hottest items going right now.

          PS good idea with wiping the window after taking the suction cup off, your exactly right
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

          www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: GPS Units

            I have Mio that Rob gave me for my b-day.I like it.It is very girly

            He uses Magellan.Have no clue what brand. He complains it keeps rerouting him. But then he always complains

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: GPS Units

              i have tom tom i like it but there is better out there
              9/11/01, never forget.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: GPS Units

                Havent heard complaints about Garmin yet. Rick Loves his mios (...of course he has more than one )

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: GPS Units

                  I think I have the Garmin. My brother got it for me years ago when it was the first portable GPS that talked. . . so I didn't need to drive and read a map or just read a map I am seriously directionally challenged.

                  I love mine. As Rick says I need my GPS to find my way to the glove compartment!

                  Mine is bigger than Rick's mio and his works just as good.

                  I don't know if you can wait, but the day after Thanksgiving is really the day to shop, especially for deals. That is when Rick got his last year.
                  I love my plumber

                  "My Hero"

                  Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: GPS Units

                    Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                    I think I have the Garmin. My brother got it for me years ago when it was the first portable GPS that talked. . . so I didn't need to drive and read a map or just read a map I am seriously directionally challenged.

                    I love mine. As Rick says I need my GPS to find my way to the glove compartment!

                    Mine is bigger than Rick's mio and his works just as good.

                    I don't know if you can wait, but the day after Thanksgiving is really the day to shop, especially for deals. That is when Rick got his last year.
                    I'm sure he was first in the line..waiting from the midnight and stores open at 7 am?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: GPS Units

                      Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                      Yes 14 trucks/van had portable GPS units stolen from their vehicles..not going to say how they did it, but they were pros (dont want to give out any ideas). A good friend of mine and an HVAC contractor had his Garmin stolen from his van the same night...Its a ashame, but it is the hottest items going right now.

                      PS good idea with wiping the window after taking the suction cup off, your exactly right
                      and you should have called Rosie she could have found them .or let you know if they were local kids or if they were in a car .
                      Charlie

                      My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


                      http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

                      new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: GPS Units

                        Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                        and you should have called Rosie she could have found them .or let you know if they were local kids or if they were in a car .

                        Your right, i shouldve thought of that. Now i know for next time
                        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

                        www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: GPS Units

                          I use the garmin nuvi 360. It's the first one I've used designed for cars so I can't compare it to anything else. It does work great though and I highly recommend it.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: GPS Units

                            UPDATE

                            I bought the Magellen RoadMate 1200 today....i checked out the Garmins, they are very nice and probably well worth the price...This Magellan actually came out this past weekend at Circuit City, so i picked it up...Seems pretty cool, will get a chance to really use it tomorrow morning

                            Greg
                            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

                            www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: GPS Units

                              I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 350 and so far it is operating beyond my expectations. It has text to voice so instead of "Turn left in 300 feet" it is "Turn left on Main Street in 300 feet". The map on screen has me entering intersections as I actually enter them.

                              I found that Amazon.com had a good price, not the lowest, but I factored in their reputation over some lower cost vendors.

                              Mainly bought it for my wife so she can broaden her range of shopping and errands and feel comfortable that she can find her way home.

                              (This way, I can spend more time in the shop, hehe)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X