Losing stuff on your plumbing rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Losing stuff on your plumbing rig

Rick is prtobably one of the few here to remember the Skaug Roughin Trucks. I once made a short stop and lost a load of cast iron pipe off of the side of my truck.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Crack ,
      So you are one of the folks who can stop traffic on 95 for HOURS on a Friday night !

OUCH !!

Comment

Originally posted by CPlumb View Post
        Crack ,
        So you are one of the folks who can stop traffic on 95 for HOURS on a Friday night !

OUCH !!
        LOL you want some free advertising? Get your van on the six o'clock traffic report here

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          Rick is prtobably one of the few here to remember the Skaug Roughin Trucks. I once made a short stop and lost a load of cast iron pipe off of the side of my truck.

Mark
          The production housing outfit I know still has two of the old chevy plumbing rough trucks.Rolling gas fab. is the only thing they are anymore.Windshields broken out.It always surprises me how he gets em from job to job.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            The production housing outfit I know still has two of the old chevy plumbing rough trucks.Rolling gas fab. is the only thing they are anymore.Windshields broken out.It always surprises me how he gets em from job to job.
            Those were great trucks and it was like you brought a portable 20,000 pound shop with you. Mine had a full 2" rack all the way to the front with a full cattle guard and twin buckets. Needless to say people use to stay out of my way when I was coming to a stop.

I thought you would enjoy this story because it is likely a freeway you spend a lot of time on. One night returning from a job in Beverly Hills I was Northbound on the 405 just north of Mulholland when the pin which held my brake pedal linkage to my master cylinder fell out. I ended up in rush-hour traffic with no brakes coming down the hill from the Sepulveda Pass. I used my gears as much as I could and cars were scattering everywhere. By the time I made it to the emergency lane the eastbound 101 was merging onto the Northbound 405. I decided to head across the ice plant and let a palm tree stop me. Inches before the Palm tree the truck came to a stop. I located the pin on the floor and made a quick repair and headed home. The next morning I payed a visit to the mechanic who had replaced the master cylinder a few days beforehand.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

"Has anyone lost items off your truck while driving?"

When I was first out of HS I got a job driving for a local lumber yard. I had a 28' straight truck and a load of millwork and a stack of 60 some sheets of expensive cherry wall paneling (~$30/sht in the 70s) which was to be my first drop on the truck.

I left the yard and came to the first stop light where I would turn right. When the light changed I made the turn and looked in the mirror as I always did to make sure I was clear of other traffic as I turned. What do I see laying on the middle of the intersection but my stack of paneling!! One of the lock bars had come loose or was not secured properly and allowed the load to slide right out the back of the truck. It landed in a neat pile in the intersection. Too much traffic I had to go around the block and come back to get it. I was only a 1/4 mile from the yard but there were no cell phones back then and no radios in the truck so no way to summon help. I had to reload all the paneling by myself right there with all the cars honking as they drove by. Not fun.

After that I never left the dock that I didn't double check to load bars and that everything was tied down securely.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I HAD 2 4" X 20' STICKS OF SCH 80 TIED UP TOP WITH TWINE I WAS DOIN 40 MPH DOWN A STRAIGHT ROAD NOT PAYIN ATTENTION THERE WAS A FLAGGER WITH THE STOP SIGN UP AND WORKERS IN A 5' DITCH ACROSS THE ROAD I SLAMMED ON MY BREAKS ABOUT 30' AWAY THE 2 PIECES OF PIPE HIT THE ROAD IN FRONT OF ME KICK BACKED BLEW OUT MY WINDSHIELD THAN TAKE OFF LIKE TWO TORPEDOS AT THESE WORKERS THE FLAGGER JUMPS IN A DITCH AND THE THREE GUYS WORKIN IN THE HOLE HIT THE DECK AS THE PIPES ARE FLYING AT THEM. NOT TO MANY THINGS MORE EMBARRASING THAN STRAPPING UP YOUR PIPE ON YOUR VAN WITH A COMPANY NAME ON THE SIDE OF IT WITH ABOUT 15 P.O'D ROAD CREW GUYS GLARING AT YOU
                Mike
                Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Working...
                X