Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Uncomfortable Subject

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
    History of sanitary sewers. My what a great site, just what I was looking for. Thanks so much.

Yes it is a pretty neat site, the Big Sink Hole, to the wooden sanitary and water lines....

Good info
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
      I think this private forum thing will take care of itself some time this year. Sorry to talk in vague terms but there will be a way to differentiate the pros and screen out the general readers from business specific topics.
      My new personal hero...HAIL JOSH!
      Ridgid has always been "THE" name for plumbers..in my area at least...suitable that you guys would provide a place for us to unwind, let down out hair and bicker in private...lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
        Dunbar, your a unique individual, i would love to talk business with you in PM if your ever interested, that goes with anyone.... I love to talk business
        I'll vouch for that, dude...thank you for your honest and truthful experience.

Comment

Ok everyone as a temporary solution until we have what I eluded to earlier... I am willing to let you guys steer me and try new things out with the forum. Look at the bottom of the list of forums. Now the tough part. How do I restrict permission to this forum?

The only way I thought of is to have everyone who wants to be allowed in to pm me their contractors license # , city, state

Would this be sufficient. Would this exclude anyone who really should be reading this forum? If you guys really want to do this I want this seperate forum to be reserved for discussion that really shouldnt be visible to casual browsers. I dont want everyone to go in there an hide away. The RIDGID Forum is about educating everyone and sharing the wealth of knowledge. I really want this private forum to be used in rare situations.

I tend to see value in letting customers see that you actually do have to manage your resources and work hard at managing your business. Comments like Sylvan's were the negative type of discussions but he woulda posted those outside anyways.

Let me know what you guys think. Both positive and negative reactions.

Josh

Comment

I think we need a separate forum for Plumbing Contractors, and one for Journeyman Plumbers and one for Drain Cleaners. Then to go one step further they should be broken down by UPC, IPC, NSPC and Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Then if it really works well we can divide flat-rate and T&M.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

dont give anyone ideas Mark. if it were up to some people on this forum we would have 2000 separate forums.

I am still cautious about changing anything after dog influenced me to change all the forums to pros only discussion

Comment

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...t=15094&page=2
                This is where I had an idea.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'm guessing Marks not for this.
                  Can't win 'em, all.
                  Apologies for being from Mass(?)

Josh, licensing is one factor, also number of posts..as Ben said elsewhere.
                  Don't know if it should be plumbers only, maybe cert/licensed HVAC, builders, electricians....guys?
                  A combination of two major factors.
                  One that would be based on the fact that you are a professional..licensing and referrals from other established Ridgid members would be a good start.

Number of posts, or time as member on this forum ought be another factor to consider.
                  Maybe even a vote from members to join, though the "politics" of that one could get ugly.
                  Simply joining based on the fact that you have a license, but maybe not here to stay might not be good.
                  One of the great things about this site is the familiarity we have with eachother...though a bit clicky when just joining, thats how anything is.
                  I saw that and knew I'd have to expect time to pass before fitting in.

As for the regular forum, you have a very good point about the potential for neglecting the open forum...thats one idea's are needed on.

Comment

Another point...apprentices....do we include them?
                    I'd like to...thoughts?

Comment

I just don't have time to screen people that much. 95% of the work I do on the forum is "off the clock" I really lean towards not having a private forum but I do see some value in it. I don't want to hide any of the knowledge on this forum. But if there is discussion that needs to happen in addition to what is posted on the forum then I want to accommodate the pros.

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post

Comment

Duck,

I'm for what ever the majority wants so I'm okay. I just hope the new forum does not become a Clubhouse where most of the current interaction ends up.

Mark

Comment

Guys.. this is sounding more and more like discussion that should be done through PMs and via cell phone. I dont know if a new forum is really the solution for this. I didnt put Mark up to his comments but I do agree with him. I believe that if you dont have anything to hide in the way you do business then theres no reason you cant discuss it on the forum. if its something that doesnt belong posted publiclly then putting up hoops for people to jump through isnt going to be the solution.

Josh

Comment

I just don't have time to screen people that much. 95% of the work I do on the forum is "off the clock" I really lean towards not having a private forum but I do see some value in it. I don't want to hide any of the knowledge on this forum. But if there is discussion that needs to happen in addition to what is posted on the forum then I want to accommodate the pros.
                            Drop it on regular members for vote...
                            Say members with 500 or 1,000+ posts, and established licensing/professional credentials have a say in voting.
                            Nobody knows a plumber better than a plumber, HVAC, Electrician...so forth.
                            Something to that effect.

Comment

Guys.. this is sounding more and more like discussion that should be done through PMs and via cell phone. I dont know if a new forum is really the solution for this. I didnt put Mark up to his comments but I do agree with him. I believe that if you dont have anything to hide in the way you do business then theres no reason you cant discuss it on the forum. if its something that doesnt belong posted publiclly then putting up hoops for people to jump through isnt going to be the solution.

Josh
                              LOL-Don't make me look like the bad guy here. I say let them have their forum and let's see how it works. If it makes sense after a month keep it. If it does not then burn down the Clubhouse.

Mark

Comment

We need to talk this through a bit more guys. Regardless of the rules I set up for admittance we are going to run into problems. If we base it on votes then we introduce politics and a club mentality. If we base it of credentials then I guarantee someone will end up in there that you wont want in.

Lets really think this one through a bit more.

Josh

Comment

Working...
                                X