Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are we saying to much?

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
    Something to ponder....This is Ridgid's forum. It has 16050 members. How many different "private" sections do you suppose they would have to set up if all the different groups (trades or whatever) wanted their own? Or, how many members (and customers) would they lose if they catered to only a few?
    My thoughts, just one...for working professional tradesmen, licensed or certified in their trade with at least some history here for sake of familiarity.

Great way for a plumber to ask a GC if his pricing on remodels are ok...or a GC to ask an electrician if his electrician is doing the right thing...etc.

Comment

So, a question...theone I posed at the beginning of this thread. Why not start your own GC pro only forum? It's easy and free and you can be the master of your own universe.

invisionfree.com is an easy place to start.

Oh, and months back, I set up a chat room for this forum - I need to find the thread....
      “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace” - Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by SteveA(MD) View Post
        Oh, and months back, I set up a chat room for this forum - I need to find the thread....
        Inherently as an employee of Ridgid..you likely have more say than pro's who would want the forum.

Not arguing for the sake thereof, the idea isn't to alienate anyone, the existing forum goes nowhere the way the intial idea had been proposed.

Comment

i have it if you don't want any on to know what your talking about then go to the site below [ katcom ] and chat all you want .it is a small group and i am a Administrator so we don't care if you use the plumbing part to do all your private chatting ,and we would love to have you stop in .

or just use the phone
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Tribe has spoken. Put out your flame and leave the island!

The idea I think fronts more of a political issue before necessity and function and I understand that some threshholds are designed not to be crossed.

I certainly won't participate in the next round when this idea presents itself, given the same recurring result and thread dwindle.

The idea has merit, just the wrong place. I'll mention that I'm a business man first, plumber second and I hold a great deal of strategy very valuable as it has me working minimal to what some call a 40 hour week, making a considerable decent income without being called a shark. Tips and tricks that might be stupid to some, but I'm very talented at how to be as lazy as possible and make the biggest pile of money imaginable. If you're going to make me sweat, I'm going to have to charge for that.

We've all been compared to doctors more than once for those of you who run your own ship and we're told that we charge the same OR as more than most doctors.

So tell me what makes it plausible to spout this highly regarded knowledge, everything and anything on the www to anyone willing to read it? Do you think doctors have forums telling each other how to remove a kidney, kidney stone or gall bladder removal? Of course not. Plumbers protect the health of the nation and if we didn't exist........there surely is no need for medical professionals; people would die off from repeat exposure to the bad stuff.

We keep the good stuff clean (water) and keep the bad stuff contained (crap) and I'll sit down to a duel with any nurse, doctor, surgeon face to face and tell them who's job is more important. Think about that doctor next time you sit on the can and flush away your harmful contaminates a plumber took care of, made it sanitary. Plumbing in buildings and in general is not a given.....even though the majority of people hold it as that. Once again I'm rambling like cowboy with a new song. My thoughts are just that, no better than anyone elses. Now give me a damn hat! Name:  71d8f73379334847cb18fd99a6be413c.gif
Views: 2
Size:  1.2 KB
            Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 01-09-2008, 10:24 PM.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              I'm sure that everyone who knows Rick can understand how difficult getting a word in that conversation was. I got about 5 words in, maybe 10 if I was lucky. Joey, you're a strong woman and and true testament to patience. Either that or you don't say much and let Rick do the talking.
              ben, you called me at 6:16pm my time. and hung up 40:52 minutes later at 6:57 pm.

i rather doubt that i did all the talking

plus it was on my dime at that hour.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                ben, you called me at 6:16pm my time. and hung up 40:52 minutes later at 6:57 pm.

rick.
                I don't.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  I don't.

Mark
                  From what I've heard, I think that'd be right.

Comment

rick.

Comment

i rather doubt that i did all the talkingWhy did you type this, not one person is going to believe that. You know better than that.

rick.
                      I had originally called to ask Rick what blade he uses first in a main line. I think at the 38 minute mark is when I was able to get my original question in. This is just Rick and we like him just the way he is.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

[quote=SteveA(MD);114897]DB,

All due respect to you and your profession, but most of the errors in installations are due to people who profess to be professionals but do questionable work.

Is this a verifiable statistic or did someone pull that out of their arse? Doesn't MD stand for Medical Doctor? I hope Steve doen't send me a virus (biological or electronic) for posting this, as it's nothing personal but just my damn inquiring mind!

Comment

[quote=DPiper;117064]
                          DB,

All due respect to you and your profession, but most of the errors in installations are due to people who profess to be professionals but do questionable work.

Is this a verifiable statistic or did someone pull that out of their arse? Doesn't MD stand for Medical Doctor? I hope Steve doen't send me a virus (biological or electronic) for posting this, as it's nothing personal but just my damn inquiring mind!
                          I don't know that there is any truth to his statement but it certainly rings true. Most errors in anything are by people (professional or not) who do not know what they are doing. However, the fact that most systems give many years of trouble free service free of errors is a testament to the true professionals working in the fields.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I agree 100% that most errors are caused from people not knowing (or caring) about what they are doing, however he seemed to throw the blame towards "professionals", (as most professionals do and should profess to be "professionals" - provided they truly are, of course), and not towards the DIY's or handymen, most of whom do not claim to be professionals, but are convinced by H Depot or their competitor that they can "Do it Yourself" with their help. As for the handymen, most I have ever met have the same logo, "I'm a jack of all trades and MASTER OF NONE!" The problem is that most people don't realize the importance of having a job "professionally" done, and knowingly hire non-professionals or do it themselves thinking they will save money. I recently replaced a water heater having an exhaust vent that had deteriorated severely and had very large hole in it where it connected to the flu. When I removed the vent and looked inside the chimney, the flu was COMPLETELY clogged from deteriorating and scaling flue-liner sections falling inside. When I showed the homeowner how lucky he and his family was to be alive, he was extremely grateful that he decided to hire a plumber to do the job. He told me that he was going to " hire a buddy to "slap" it in for him, but he was certainly glad now that he didn't", as he realized that his buddy probably wouldn't have noticed the problems. (We ended up installing a flexible flu-liner the next day to prevent future blockage, by the way). It is almost criminal, in my opinion, that these big retail stores ignore public and consumer safety issues in convincing people that they can "Do It Yourself". But of course, with big-business owning our government now, there will probably be nothing ever done about it. They know that most professionals buy from supply houses and not from them. As for Steve's quote, I think he is wrong. I think the problem arises more from homeowner's (owners of tenant homes are even worse) knowingly hiring not someone who "professes to be a professional", but someone who think is close enough to a professional. Sorry, just a long-winded attempt to clear the names of the true professionals out here. (It sounded as if he was lumping the true ones and the wanna-be's all together)

Comment

Dpiper, welcome to the forum...thank you for joining.
                              I agree with you 100%.
                              So often online, phrases like "I see jobs that pro's hack all the time" are used to justify or condone doing dangerous work themselves.
                              The simple fact is it's usually the money saving that motivates DIY projects.

DB,

The word most was used, if true, I'd liken that to saying that MOST plane crashes involved licensed pilots, therefore we should be encouraged to fly on our own.
                              I would like to see the official stats that was referenced from though.

This forum is a promotional medium for a manufacturer.
                              It would seem that there might be a conflict of interest here.
                              Flip through your cable stations and count the number of DIY, home flipper or "how to" shows you see.
                              DIY has become quite a lucrative trend of late.
                              As far as I can see, this is an investment in future work for pro's on the plus side, also I'd wager, saddly, the number of domestic catastrophe's increase noticeably.

Comment

Wow. I looked at this thread and soon got caught up in it. Whats the big deal of having your own pro thread if the Admin can and wants to do it. I personally think there is a time to call a certified pro and a time to try it yourself as long as you think you can. I agree with a lot of you about certain things that I believe only someone that knows what he is doing should be doing it. (professional ) I've done some plumbing that I thought I could do myself. I first got the codes and found some good knowledge from professionals I new. I also made mistakes which I had to go back and fix. Would I plumb my whole house, I don't think so. I can go to the other trades and say the same including you programmers and IT people. Yes I know a lot of them also and yes you folks do make mistakes. When I was in my 20's starting out an old guy that I had the honor to work with as his grunt told me, The only true professional is one that is willing to say he makes mistakes and fix them and to teach the young so the profession can go on. So to stop my ranting go and start your private part as I'm sure most won't care. shup

Comment

Working...
                                X