Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

targeting customers?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: targeting customers?

    Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    Yeah, I know...been chatting with several about it.
    Friends say liability is also a concern, as far as damage to older exisitng plumbing & the obvious mess.
    I'm always slow to leap without investigating, but at this point it's obvious your right.
    Top that with my license and it's big leverage on repairs and versatility.
    The number one problem I have is trying to decipher what the hell you drain guys are talking about with all the different machines, jetters, camera's cutting heads/blades & so on.

    The liability risk are all waived in your contract. At least in my my contract they are. Once the customer signs, they acknowledge that any damage that occurs during the drain cleaning process is due to old or improper working plumbing. They take liability for the plumbing. I have had snakes get caught in the past due to this, next thing you know the customer is flipping there lid . I kindly remind them that they are paying me to get it out , because it would not have got caught if the system was in proper working order. Its all in the fine print buddy.
    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: targeting customers?

      Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
      ...... Its all in the fine print buddy.
      Exactly, one of a few things that I'm mulling over is a printed contract & careful wording.
      On plumbing jobs I always stipulate something for existing plumbing that could become damaged as a result of working on, or an inspector might call me on to repair/alter.
      Another big variable is the right machine to start with, there are completely conflicting opinions here, so I may look into test marketing and renting several first to sample them.
      (Yeessss Rick...I've read your thoughts on the K-60....over and over...has weight, but I'm stubborn and need to have "hands on" firsthand.)

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: targeting customers?

        Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
        Exactly, one of a few things that I'm mulling over is a printed contract & careful wording.
        On plumbing jobs I always stipulate something for existing plumbing that could become damaged as a result of working on, or an inspector might call me on to repair/alter.
        Another big variable is the right machine to start with, there are completely conflicting opinions here, so I may look into test marketing and renting several first to sample them.
        (Yeessss Rick...I've read your thoughts on the K-60....over and over...has weight, but I'm stubborn and need to have "hands on" firsthand.)
        I would start with the K 50. After you get use to cleaning secondary lines buy a good mainline machine. The K 60 is great however being back east and having to pull toilets on older homes , you will probably want a good drum machine. I have used Gorlitz for years however after using the Ridgid quick connect feature I would spend the extra money on a Ridgid.

        With the K 50 you will be able to clean all residential drain lines 1 1/4" to 4". In 4" you will only be able to do soft blockages, however I know several guys who use the machine from roof vents on very small roots to. The nice thing is you get the feature of a drum for your smaller inside drain work and the light weight of the sectional machine for roof work. Good luck in whatever you decide.
        Last edited by Crappy days; 02-23-2008, 07:50 PM.
        THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: targeting customers?

          Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
          Yeah, I know...been chatting with several about it.
          Friends say liability is also a concern, as far as damage to older exisitng plumbing & the obvious mess.
          I'm always slow to leap without investigating, but at this point it's obvious your right.
          Top that with my license and it's big leverage on repairs and versatility.
          The number one problem I have is trying to decipher what the hell you drain guys are talking about with all the different machines, jetters, camera's cutting heads/blades & so on.

          Duck, my phone is always on you know that. Whenever you have a question about drain cleaning, just give me a call
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

          www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: targeting customers?

            Originally posted by haycad View Post
            how do you guys target drain cleaning jobs? i have several adds in the local phone books for plumber. i receive alot of calls for service work but rarely for drain cleaning. i bought a couple nice machines but they just sit in my shop. how do i put them to work? i would like to have them running non stop.

            Im not in your shoes but heres what i did. I was strictly a drain cleaning company. Wanted no parts of plumbing. So i had a Master plumber that i would give all my plumbing calls to, and all my dig ups to. He in return gave me all his drain cleaning calls. My plumber and i merged as one company. Now we do both drain cleaning and plumbing. He still does all the plumbing, and i do all the drains still, but what works out well is, we help each other and make each money.

            If you find a good drain cleaning only company, they should stay loyal to you and not take any of your customers. A good drain cleaning company will appreciate the work given to them by you, and you should recieve all the major plumbing jobs from them in return. Its a win win situation.
            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

            www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: targeting customers?

              Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
              Im not in your shoes but heres what i did. I was strictly a drain cleaning company. Wanted no parts of plumbing. So i had a Master plumber that i would give all my plumbing calls to, and all my dig ups to. He in return gave me all his drain cleaning calls. My plumber and i merged as one company. Now we do both drain cleaning and plumbing. He still does all the plumbing, and i do all the drains still, but what works out well is, we help each other and make each money.

              If you find a good drain cleaning only company, they should stay loyal to you and not take any of your customers. A good drain cleaning company will appreciate the work given to them by you, and you should recieve all the major plumbing jobs from them in return. Its a win win situation.
              That sounds like a great deal. I am like your partner, I love plumbing, hate drain-cleaning. I need to find a drain-cleaner like you to partner up with around here eventually.
              I am good at drain-cleaning, i just don't like the dirt, teh unpredictability and the $$$$expensive equipment required.
              All I have is a smal hand-held rigdid drain-gun and really smal drum-machine which can do mainlines, but no roots.
              I have to either suck it up and buy root-cutter machine and a camera, or find a drain-cleaner to work with.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

              Comment

              Working...
              X