X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Getting started out right

You should also be aware that getting a business loan on a new business is next to impossible. They want to see three years' worth of P&L statements so you can prove you can do it. In other words, if you need a loan, you can't get one.

Comment

After 43 years in my trade , carpentry , I have a little knowledge about General Contracting.
      Lets start with " You can't be serious" !!!!!!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
        And even if you decide not to do plumbing, but instead just focus on drain-cleaning, then be prepared for an expensive start-up.
        Cable machines, jetting machines, video-cameras, locators, etc. And to get the word out that you exist you'll need to drop a load of $$$ on advertising. All the professional drain-cleaners I know have large ads in the yellowpages and own a fortune in tools. Its not as simple as buying a used cable machine and a closet auger.
        Also you'll need about a years living expenses saved as you won't make any profit the first year.

Good luck if you decide to do this, but be prepared, its a risky game.

.......what he said.

Comment

Take an apprenticship, it was the best thing I ever did. You get paid and they will teach you the right way to do things. The trades have too many people who hack in work and fly by night. Guys doing poor work give the trade a bad rap and just make it harder to start good business. Take an apprenticship and some pride in doing good work.

Comment

All Clear you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I should have said JUST becase you can Replace a faucet or toilet it dose not make you a plumber.

Comment

No I knew what you were getting at. The problem is that when your out there clearing a sewer they will ask you to change out a faucet or toilet. To do this in most cities you have to be a plumber
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Thankfully Illinois requires a license to do plumbing, unless it is your house.

Get your license...you will be proud of it, I am.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                  Thankfully Illinois requires a license to do plumbing, unless it is your house.

Get your license...you will be proud of it, I am.
                  Every state requires a license to do plumbing. But some people don't follow the laws, imagine that! Lots of guys do 'side-work' without a license which is of course, totally illegal. Then others run 'handyman' businesses and fix plumbing, electrical and other stuff they are often not licensed for. And of course, then there are the unlicensed drain-cleaners, who magically turn into 'plumbers' once they get in the customer's house....it sounds like this is what the OP was thinking of doing.
                  Last edited by Service Guy; 04-08-2008, 02:07 PM.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I have been cleaning drains for over 10 years, and I have never played plumber. I have a master plumber I call if I need to do plumbing.

the most I do is cut a pipe and put on a fernco. or if I have to remove and replace a toilet.

just better to be safe the sorry.
                    Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                    1-920-284-7471

Comment

Originally posted by appletondrain View Post
                      I have been cleaning drains for over 10 years, and I have never played plumber. I have a master plumber I call if I need to do plumbing.

the most I do is cut a pipe and put on a fernco. or if I have to remove and replace a toilet.

just better to be safe the sorry.
                      I love Wisconsin..."you can't flood yourself, but you can fry yourself." We bought a place north of the Dells, and I was told homeowner plumbing was a no-no...but electric is ok.

Comment

Working...
                      X