Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting started out right

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Getting started out right

    I plan on getting a contractors license, can you do some typs of plumbing with them, like replaceing stacks, faucets, HW HEATERS ect... just general things and whats the difference between a contractors and master plumbing license. Can I get insurense through ALL State or do you have to go to a bonding company. I know you have to go through 4 year to get your master plumbing license in my state. I don't want to wait that long, a good 6 months or so and Ishould be ready to go. After I get my cont. license, machines, and insurence. Im going to get hr block to do taxes or someone or should I do this myself. Just some general questions can I get some

  • #2
    Re: Getting started out right

    Originally posted by drain doctor View Post
    I plan on getting a contractors license, can you do some typs of plumbing with them, like replaceing stacks, faucets, HW HEATERS ect... just general things and whats the difference between a contractors and master plumbing license. Can I get insurense through ALL State or do you have to go to a bonding company. I know you have to go through 4 year to get your master plumbing license in my state. I don't want to wait that long, a good 6 months or so and Ishould be ready to go. After I get my cont. license, machines, and insurence. Im going to get hr block to do taxes or someone or should I do this myself. Just some general questions can I get some

    drain, honestly, with the question you've asked and the prior post on going into business. it really is not in your best interest to jump into business this quick.

    you could be the best at what you do in the field, but you still need business skills or you will fail.

    honestly, keep working for others, until you can honestly answer your own business questions. sure the forum is a great place to learn from others, but so far all the others have cautioned you against jumping the gun.

    hate to say it, this post just backs up your first post.

    i'll repeat my plumbing life story for the 100th' time

    i started working as a plumbers helper when i was 12 1/2 for my uncle. weekends and summer vacation. at 18 when i graduated i went to work full time as an union apprentice 4 years, then journeyman for another 11, and presently self employed for 12 years and counting.

    nothing happened overnight.

    take your time and do it right. i just don't see the business skills in your post yet.

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Getting started out right

      amen rick
      Mike
      Clark County Plumbing And Drain
      www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Getting started out right

        Yeah, 4 years to get a masters is outrageous. 6 months seems just about right. I learned just about everything I needed to know in that time also. When I see how much money the boss makes on me I should just stuff that cash in my own pocket. If the state will give me a contractors license to do it, why not? Looks like a great time to start a business too


        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Getting started out right

          Originally posted by drain doctor View Post
          I plan on getting a contractors license, can you do some typs of plumbing with them, like replaceing stacks, faucets, HW HEATERS ect... just general things and whats the difference between a contractors and master plumbing license. Can I get insurense through ALL State or do you have to go to a bonding company. I know you have to go through 4 year to get your master plumbing license in my state. I don't want to wait that long, a good 6 months or so and Ishould be ready to go. After I get my cont. license, machines, and insurence. Im going to get hr block to do taxes or someone or should I do this myself. Just some general questions can I get some
          Some things kinda fishy here
          You smell that???
          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Getting started out right

            Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
            Some things kinda fishy here
            You smell that???

            Ya definitely...
            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

            www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Getting started out right

              I guess I really wasted my time on that five-year union apprenticeship. If I'd known I could have simply messed around with plumbing for six months and started my own business I'd be rich by now.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Getting started out right

                It would have saved me a lot of money and time. I could of trashed all these books and DVD`s I`ve been studding for my masters.

                BTW when I`m done with em they will be for sale
                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Getting started out right

                  Originally posted by drain doctor View Post
                  I plan on getting a contractors license, can you do some typs of plumbing with them, like replaceing stacks, faucets, HW HEATERS ect... just general things and whats the difference between a contractors and master plumbing license. Can I get insurense through ALL State or do you have to go to a bonding company. I know you have to go through 4 year to get your master plumbing license in my state. I don't want to wait that long, a good 6 months or so and Ishould be ready to go. After I get my cont. license, machines, and insurence. Im going to get hr block to do taxes or someone or should I do this myself. Just some general questions can I get some
                  If you go into business now, you will be an unlicensed hack. The type of people that call themselves 'handymen' and try to compete with legitimate licensed plumbers like myself by charging half what the real plumbers do until they get caught or go bankrupt. I don't like those people much at all.

                  Four years is too long???? You really sound like an impatient kid, I plumbed 10 years before getting my license and starting a business. I am glad I waited, its a tough game.

                  My advice, if you want to be a plumber, than get a job from a good plumber and learn all you can from him over the next few years.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Getting started out right

                    If you want to be a plumber then do it right, get training and get licensed. Don't even try to insult us by saying 6 months is good enough.
                    Last edited by Tyman; 04-05-2008, 03:30 PM.
                    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Getting started out right

                      Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                      If you go into business now, you will be an unlicensed hack. The type of people that call themselves 'handymen' and try to compete with legitimate licensed plumbers like myself by charging half what the real plumbers do until they get caught or go bankrupt. I don't like those people much at all.

                      Four years is too long???? You really sound like an impatient kid, I plumbed 10 years before getting my license and starting a business. I am glad I waited, its a tough game.

                      My advice, if you want to be a plumber, than get a job from a good plumber and learn all you can from him over the next few years.

                      Well said!!

                      This type of thinking is happening all to often in our trade right now.

                      Just because you can rebuild a toilet, install one or auger one does not make you a plumber.
                      sigpic

                      Robert

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Getting started out right

                        Dude 6 months you smoking something funny I will be the first to bust on a plumber as most will bust on a fitter but the fact is there is a lot to what we know. Can you read a set of prints and build something from them and it be right? Can you work with lead? can you pipe something out a pepole say WOW! Not O who did this. Replacing faucets and toilets dose not make you a plumber.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Getting started out right

                          Originally posted by JRM638fitter View Post
                          Replacing faucets and toilets dose not make you a plumber.
                          My city inspector say`s it does ....rotflmao
                          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Getting started out right

                            And even if you decide not to do plumbing, but instead just focus on drain-cleaning, then be prepared for an expensive start-up.
                            Cable machines, jetting machines, video-cameras, locators, etc. And to get the word out that you exist you'll need to drop a load of $$$ on advertising. All the professional drain-cleaners I know have large ads in the yellowpages and own a fortune in tools. Its not as simple as buying a used cable machine and a closet auger.
                            Also you'll need about a years living expenses saved as you won't make any profit the first year.

                            Good luck if you decide to do this, but be prepared, its a risky game.
                            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Getting started out right

                              Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                              And even if you decide not to do plumbing, but instead just focus on drain-cleaning, then be prepared for an expensive start-up.
                              Cable machines, jetting machines, video-cameras, locators, etc. And to get the word out that you exist you'll need to drop a load of $$$ on advertising. All the professional drain-cleaners I know have large ads in the yellowpages and own a fortune in tools. Its not as simple as buying a used cable machine and a closet auger.
                              Also you'll need about a years living expenses saved as you won't make any profit the first year.

                              Good luck if you decide to do this, but be prepared, its a risky game.

                              Very well said.
                              The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

                              www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X