Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: pricing

Getting better, thank you.....

I didn't want it to be a big deal with my question, just trying to understand and you said it so well.....
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      I agree with The Garager. (<-Sounds like some kind of superhero that whoops *** with a garage door spring)

I think they/we talk about it out of fear. Fear we aren't charging enough or someone else is charging more. Fear we aren't keeping up with the value of our work, knowledge, & service.

What I've tried to get across to people is that what I charge has nothing to do with what they charge. They might charge more, they might charge less. It's none of my business.

And each area is different. Cost of living, insurance, fuel, travel times, population density, etc. I may be able to charge twice what someone else would for the same service. Or vice/versa.

We're all just trying to maximize our business by talking about it sometimes I guess.

J.C.

By the way, not to hijack the thread, how's your health?
      I'd like to point out the other side of this argument.
      Many state websites list license suspensions, probations and terminations.
      In my state the most common reason is "received payment and never completed work" or similar.
      Guys with no concept on what to charge or what rates are reasonable bid low for fear of not getting work, unknowing homeowners or greedy GC's eat it up, Joe plumber has to decide between paying the mortgage or buying the stock to finish the remodel he drastically underbid.
      I wouldn't care, except that I get the priviledge of losing work to those guys, and admittedly, I have been one of those guys to a degree.
      I'd just as soon let my competition know he beat my price on a water heater by a couple of hundred so he knows he could at least get more the next time and stop driving the local market down.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
        I agree, the drain prices are too low. 69.00 wouldn't even get my pants on.

Whats the charge to...er...get you to keep 'em on?

Comment

i don't personally know the company, other than getting their flyer's a couple times a year.

they price their drain cleaning low to get their foot in the door. other local co's do the same and i can tell you, there is always an attempt to up-charge when they are there.

i've done lots of follow up work with similar co's that work this way.

look at the pricing for a ground c/o$95 and the added $60 for a roof top.

then look at the price on a roof top vent cleaning. $180.

numbers don't add up to the same price

as mentioned by another.

look at the toilet ballcock $120 then the ballcock with flapper $240 with a possibility of a handle, flush valve and tank to bowl kit.

who in their right mind would pay an extra 120 for a flapper?

why would they charge you for the extras, if they don't always do them?

not to start the flat vrs. t&m debate again

but you pay for what i do. not for what you might or might not get or need

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            i don't personally know the company, other than getting their flyer's a couple times a year.

they price their drain cleaning low to get their foot in the door. other local co's do the same and i can tell you, there is always an attempt to up-charge when they are there.
            Oh and there's that...Home Depot was advertising rock bottom prices for water heater installs, they pay their subs less than half my rate.
            The subs wind up telling customers there are necessary extra's or they can't do the job.
            Got a call last year, told the guy my price, he tells me HD offered the same for $200 less..I warned him.
            He calls back two days later, they told him the vent into the chimney was no good & it would be another $275 to replace.
            $275 for a 3" galvy 90 and all of 24" of 3" smoke pipe.
            I did the job, he finally took a shower.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
              I like how he words it for the toilet prices. Fluidmaster is $120. Fluidmaster and flapper is $240. That's an expensive flapper. If he feels like it, maybe a new handle in that price also. I got a chuckle out of that. I hope his price book has many more categories then his website.

Also, his drain cleaning prices are way low. I never understood why people feel the need to charge less for playing with other peoples waste.

Because it gets them in the door and then they rape away!! The standard stoppage turns into a broken "EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE REPLACED" call.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

From LA to Vermont. Holy culture shock.

OH. Don't forget to bring bug spray
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

just to show you how ridiculous your theory is. i will give you an example and if you have the guts to explain it, we all would love to know.

$120 to replace a fluidmaster ballcock. this being a 5 minute job once in the house. the ballcocks have a selling price that varies from $6.00-$15.00.

so in 5 minutes you just generated $105-$114. or take away $3.00 if you replace the water flex. price sheet didn't mention this, so i assume it's extra.

now lets compare this to your $65.00 sewer cleaning from ground level cleanout up to 150'.

you have a $2000-$3000 machine with $300. worth of cable that eventually needs replacing along with the cutters.
                  time required to properly clean a 150' line is approx. 45 minutes to an hour. this is assuming you don't have a tug of war with roots.

please explain the discrepancy in pricing between a ballcock and a sewer cleaning.

or is this just a ploy to get your foot in the door

i think i'll refer you to a couple of my problem customers and see what the real facts are with your pricing.

please answer, or run like a coward

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Personally, I have to agree with Rick. I could care less how much they charge, but the discrepencies in pricing are bizarre. Some 'easy' tasks are more expensive than some 'difficult' tasks.

But even that is a matter of opinion I guess. The bottom line is anytime you make your service pricing completely public, it will be scrutinized. Its why you hardly ever see hourly rates advertised, etc. Thats just how it is. I am proud of my pricing system, but I'm sure if I posted my price book publicly, a lot of people here (or anywhere) would criticize it in some way or another.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                      Personally, I have to agree with Rick. I could care less how much they charge, but the discrepencies in pricing are bizarre. Some 'easy' tasks are more expensive than some 'difficult' tasks.

But even that is a matter of opinion I guess. The bottom line is anytime you make your service pricing completely public, it will be scrutinized. Its why you hardly ever see hourly rates advertised, etc. Thats just how it is. I am proud of my pricing system, but I'm sure if I posted my price book publicly, a lot of people here (or anywhere) would criticize it in some way or another.
                      Your prices are crazy.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        Your prices are crazy.

Mark
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          Your prices are crazy.

Mark
                          Oh yeah...well...you're just crazy period.

Comment

Rick, ya bulldog you.
                            I see your point, his prices are all over the place...I have to wonder if maybe he intentionally prices certain tasks higher because he just plain doesn't like that work...but then, $65 for a drain cleaning is financial suicide, dunno...your prolly right, there's gotta be a catch.

Comment

I understand Rick completely. And think like most of you (sometimes ). But here's a question I wonder:

Is this company making more money, ethically, this way?

J.C.

Comment

I almost forgot, to City Girl, if you're not going to reply to criticism or messages, then why post at all?

That really shows tremendous weakness in the marketing plan that you're suggesting. Any business with a possible better plan for some or all should be able to do both easily.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X