X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advertising brochures!

OK guys I put together these brochures for my father's excavating company please give me some criticism and let me know what you think!
    Attached Files

Re: Advertising brochures!

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
    OK guys I put together these brochures for my father's excavating company please give me some criticism and let me know what you think!
    Residential, Commercial, Indusitrial, etc? Does he do more than the septic system (foundations, etc?) Looks like it because you have site development on there. Maybe a bullet list of services?

You have a bunch of white space, I wouldn't make it busy just to make it busy; but you probably have some more you can say about what the company does and why they do it better.

Comment

OK i agree with your white space comment with the back cover. On the first sheet, the cover, we plan to use this product called "glue dots" which are similiar to how the credit card comanies attach their card to the paper to temporarily secure a business card magnet. As far as the bulleted list of services they are on the second page. I have my mother scouring the office for an additional photo for the back cover. Thanks for the input I really appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
        Residential, Commercial, Indusitrial, etc? Does he do more than the septic system (foundations, etc?) Looks like it because you have site development on there. Maybe a bullet list of services?

You have a bunch of white space, I wouldn't make it busy just to make it busy; but you probably have some more you can say about what the company does and why they do it better.

cpw,

what would your peferct plumbing brochure said?

what woould be on it? Major things?

Let's say it would be given to the customer when entering the house

it would be given with company pens and magnet,..

input appreciated...

what colors wold you use?

I know it needs to be sutomer oriented..it wouldn't be so much about the company but something the customers can benefit from..like coupons for next service ..etc..

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
          cpw,

what would your peferct plumbing brochure said?

what woould be on it? Major things?

Let's say it would be given to the customer when entering the house

it would be given with company pens and magnet,..

input appreciated...

what colors wold you use?

I know it needs to be sutomer oriented..it wouldn't be so much about the company but something the customers can benefit from..like coupons for next service ..etc..
          The coupons are a good idea, just because it might prevent the person from throwing it out because there is some value attached with it.

The premise here is that Robert has already made his way to the customer's house. At that point, I don't think the brochure will matter at all, because he is going to sell the work not a piece of paper. At that point you just want to make sure that they keep it, know that you do more than whatever he got into the door for the first place, and how to get him on the phone. You would also want to mention your website, because that will let them learn more about the company and would show off the gallery of completed job's he's done.

Comment

Based upon suggestions both here and outside here is the revised brochure!
            Attached Files

Comment

I love this stuff!

Hello:

Just an opinion. Everyone writes adds with too many words.

You need to advertise what the customer wants in as few words as possible. The customer needs a backhoe. He wants a company that is qualified.

Some things in the brochure may cause a credibity problem like the statement about schooling. I want to call the 'most experienced' and not someone who is still learning. The 'license upon request' casts a doubt' as to why don't you put it up front.

The 'Why Use Us' is redundant because this question should already be answered with a good ad. It make me consider desperation. Your brochure should make the customer think that everybody is already using your company and the there is no other company they would consider calling.

Remove the 'Why Use Us' and make all other statements in separate lines. Make the fonts a little larger and use a font that is easier to read lile an Arian font.

Pecord Excavating & Contracting Corp.

Fully Insured

Westchester & Putnam Counties (remove the exclamation)

Certified For New Technologies

Professional Septic System And Repair

Equipment On Standby

Trenchers
              Back Hoes
              Earth Movers
              Graders

Same thing in the middle page.

Remove the word 'Offered' after services. They know you are 'offering'.

Don't use words like 'we offer' just write each statement on a separate line.

Commercial and Residential Site Development (says the same thing)

No job Too Small - No job To Large (I don't care for mentioning job size. You can do this with pictures and by mentioning residental, etc.)

This is all you need in the first paragraph. You already wrote on the first page that you have equipment . The customer would expect you to have both experience and equipment any way.

I would include a list of jobs to show that you HAVE experience rather that TELL. You could write:

NO JOB TOO SMALL - NO JOB TOO LARGE

Bank of America
              City of Sprinfield
              Joe Bob's Construction
              Over 50,000 satisfied residences
              Bubba Gump Police Department
              Mayor Bob Smith
              Judge Judy
              Attorney Ratface Jones
              Name powerful people they know
              Over 10,000 commercial buildings
              Over 1,000 land developments
              Over 20 years experience
              Kisco Country Club (don't tell what percent 20% is a relatively low number)

Reduce the words on all the pictures

Curtain Tail (Depth 8 ft.) Sounds better. Leave the city out unless necessary.

Stormwater Retention System (They already know it is underground)

Large and Small Heads (or whatever it is if it exist unless small is the only option).

Contract & Redi-Rock Retaining Wall (remove with unless necessary)

What about estimates? Are they free.

What is your delivery time? Perhaps (Service Within Minutes, Hours, or whatever.

Phone number should be huge. Fax and email should always be smaller.

Addresses may blow away business. Many customers will not call you when they think you are too far. It does not matter what you think because they will never call to ask you what you think.

The story about the founder has to go.

Write

Founder by Peter Cordone in 1978 and still providing the great work and value 30 years later.

You already provided a list of clients and you are wasting time and words saying, 'give us a try'. The customer is going to try you anyway if your ad tells the customer you can deliver the service they need.

You want your customers to think that you are the bomb. You are the only company that everybody calls and the only company that any sane person would call.

You need a unique selling position. What can you do that other companies can't or won't do.

Go back to the time to deliver. Perhaps your company is always available, or your company is actually a mom and pop operation. such as the words 'Owner Operated'
              Every Customer Gets The Full Service Treatment By The Owner Himself"
              Mom And Pop Owned
              Peter Cardone Personally Supervises Every Job (or something)

You need something that makes the customer want to call you and nobody else.

Take out the words 'About Us' They know this already.

I would only use a tri-fold if absolutely necessary. My preference is to have the customer see everything with ease. The most important part of any ad is the headline. You have no headline. I have a million things to so why should I ready your ad to see what you do. That is why I don't like the tri-fold. The tri-fold is too small. You want something that sticks in their face when it is piled on a bunch of other ads.

Use a standard paper and write, across the top. SEPTING TANKS - STORM DRAINS - EXCAVATING

On the 2nd line across the top

LAND DEVELOPMENT

3rd line

BACKHOES , DOZERS, TRENCHERS

I am a customer I see your ad and I need a septic tank. Wow! Just in time. This dude does tanks!

The least important part of an ad is the company's name. Look at ads in the newspapers. Sometimes I can't find the name of a store, but the offer will make me keep looking.

Those glue dots are too expensive. I think they are about 4 cents each. They are often hard to remove, and they smear on paper.

Ease to read and color is important. Nobody likes to squint to read someone elses work. I had a company design an ad that had the most beautiful and creative colors. I never paid someone to design an ad before and I trusted them. I printed 1 million ads. The number of customer that called was so bad I threw 900,000 ads in the trash.

Use all the same style fonts. Use white or a very light color paper. Use a very dark blue ink and I like to use red for my most important key words like 'FREE ESTIMATES' or the phone number. Most people skim ads and read only the key words. I would put 'Over 20 Years' in red or another color that stands out. Look at our web site at Bestline Plumbing and you will see how we alternate colors to make the ads easier to read.

You are on the right track. At least, you are advertising.

Comment

Yellow has been proven to be a catchy color, maybe thats what your back ground should be. Or even lime green, I believe was ranked the #1 color last year. That should grab their attention to read all of that. I think the less said in a brochure but with strong words, you can't go wrong.
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

WOW!!!!

Thank you so Much! Your points seem to be very very constructive, Leonard and I WILL save this. Everyone should read your post and come away with something. You took a lot of time to put together that great list of recommendations and It is truly appreciated!- Rich
                  Last edited by wrench spinner; 07-22-2008, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X