X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sad state of affairs

found out one of my service plumbers had been stealing copper and brass from me, i was tipped of from another plumber, he had just repiped a house and loaded all the scrap into his personal truck and cashed it in,so i called him on this and he admitted it, i told him that the scrap from my jobs goes into a pile and we fund our christmas party and it helps to offset some hard costs we are all dealing with now and besides that that is covered in our employee handbook. and he say so, and i say thats stealing i ask him if he got permission from the customer to remove the scrap and he says no, and that started to piss me off, there was a time you could clean up remove the old parts and go on your way, today with the price of scrap its is our policy to obtain the ok from the customer before we grab and go, so i ask him how long have you been doing this and he say from day 1[i love an honest thief] so i told him to pack up his tool and get the he#l out of here. this leads me the title of my thread, i get a call from one of my competitors not believing this guy used me as a reference,and he says can you tell me anything about this person and im thinking he#L yea i can, but i cant so i said ask me the one question i can answer, would you hire him back and i politely say no. and hung up the phone and thought to my self what a sad state of affairs that is when you cant open up and warn other business owners that there is a disease out there you need to say away from. and that piece of crap will just get another job so i guess the joke is on me.[ only worked with me for two months and was a good plumber shame]

Re: sad state of affairs

I'm confused as to why you could not tell your competitor that called why you had to let the employee go.

I agree that you were right in letting him go. It's his own fault for breaking the rules.

Comment

from what iam told its defamation of character as it is my word against his, and that can lead to a lawsuit as told to me by our lawyer. as well as the labor board,nauseating isint it.

Comment

You have to be careful. It could always be a setup as well, to see what you say.

Comment

good point.

Comment

Not only would I have fired him I would have prosecuted him as well. (that pretty much solves the reference problem)
            sigpic

Comment

if it is a co rule to bring it back to the shop then thats it

we are aloud to keep it if we rip it out and as far as scrap from new stuff i keep all short pieces on the job until the job is done and i cash it it in and keep the $ . but i buy lunch every so often for the people working with me so i dont make much any way .
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

In CA you are only allowed to confirm dates of employment and salary.

You cannot say something to prevent a person from obtaining new employment. By answering some questions and remaining quiet on others answers responses could be misconstrued.

Then there is the whole lawsuit thing.
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

First off let me say: Since the rule was in your employee handbook, you were right to let him go. Also: I never have taken copper, always left it with my bosses over the years, I was simply too lazy to care to recycle it myself, although I knew many guys who did over the years.

However, one company I worked at had no official policy about it, and one guy was taking scrap copper home. (I knew about it, and thought it no big deal, as others I knew over the years did also) He was reported by a fellow employee, and the boss got all upset and blamed him for 'stealing' copper from the customer!!!! Give me a break! We have always taken scrap that we cut out with us and left it in a container at the shop for the boss. He never asked us if we had 'asked the customer' first, and now he was being a total hypocrite in accusing this guy of 'stealing' the copper from the customer! I thought the boss was being a greedy prick about it.
                  We weren't payed by the hour, so he couldn't argue that it was 'on his time'. Anyway, since he didn't have an official policy, he didin't fire the guy, but a few days later the guy quit in disgust...the whole thing was sad and wrong in my eyes. He lost a good employee over some greedy bullshit. The high price of copper nowadays got me thinking though, and now I always ask my customer's first before removing any copper. Now that I am self-employed, I am still too lazy to recycle it myself! I give it to my scrap guy along with my water heaters, and in exchange he hauls my other garbage for free. Its a good deal that works out for both of us.

But like I said, since it was in your employee handbook, and the guy disobeyed, that is a different case than the above.

P.S. The guy in my story who was accused, quit plumbing entirely. I am still in touch with him and I encouraged him to get back into plumbing. I think he is afraid of getting a bad reference from his old boss. I wish he would get back into plumbing, I even plan on hiring him as my first employee, AND I WOULD GIVE HIM MY SCRAP COPPER, BECAUSE HE'S A HARD WORKER AND A GOOD SALESMAN.
                  Last edited by Service Guy; 06-13-2008, 12:08 PM.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Lemme get this straight, your pissed he took some copper out of a house that he re-piped?
                    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                      Lemme get this straight, your pissed he took some copper out of a house that he re-piped?
                      You need to keep in mind some shops factor in scrap value when they sell a job. If you are working for a shop which salvages brass & copper you need to ask before taking it.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

How clearly did he let the former worker know about this though?
                        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I'm not sure although he does say it is included in the employee manual.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I was going to say something along these lines Aaron.I had a co-worker show up to my job for 1 day and tell me he was going to take all the scrap.He was DADDIES little girl so what could I say.We go through hundreds of feet of copper DWV and "L" 1/2"-2".The owner of this company is an understanding guy.

I certainly would hope if a company owner has a problem with us that make him thousands of dollars a week taking some scrap he would make it clear he wants it.

I've heard the christmas party line from every guy I ever worked for.Only one out of twelve actually followed through.

Aero I'm not doubting you.I work around a lot of B.S.ers.

Comment

no it was the total disregard to company policy that had been going and and on, as explained earlier this particular employee new very well our rules and to his thru his own admission had been doing this since day 1. we pay our people well to try to help increase there own net worth as well as there personal net worth ie image and to try and discourage the need to supplement there incomes by stealing our customers for side jobs and materials that dont belong to them. in this case our reaction was weak by comparison he will get another job and continue to do what ever he wants, but as an employer like any relationship when trust goes south someone needs to walk.

Comment

Working...
                              X