Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To compromise, or stand pat?

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
    Thanks JC, definantly tough times out there. Is it the same for you service guys, or is it kind of steady as she goes for you guys?

Greg
    I've always done both. So things have fortunately been steady.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      One of many businesses I've had over the years was a security guard business. My partner sold a monster account which required 20 guards 24/7. When I reviewed the contract I realized the price he agreed on was $2 per hour below our cost. When I tried to explain it to him his answer had something to do with volume. My point is you need to run the numbers and see if they work for you. Unless you are already charging your GC more than the work is worth you will be giving him the profit off of your job.

Mark
      Different words than my wife used, but exactly the same point. She thinks i need to put my foot down too(in a nice way)
      Greg

Comment

If one person is providing 60% of your income, it is time to get out there and do something. That is almost like having all of your eggs in one basket. If that contractor goes belly up, you are in the same position.
        Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Good luck Glkearns. I wouldn't recommend switching to service and repair and this point. Its totally different business model. Its like starting over almost. I can't imagine trying to switch over to construction plumbing, it would take me at least a year to shift gears.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
            So much love in this forum....its really like a band of brothers. Brings a tear to my eye.
            Can I be part of the brotherhood? Please, please, please

Comment

If your wifes behind you and the numbers support it. Stand firm. I've seen businesses that take the work for nothing thinking they're "gettin' rich". Get new trucks 6 months to a year into it.

Then out of business in 2 to 3 years.

Seen it more than once.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                If one person is providing 60% of your income, it is time to get out there and do something. That is almost like having all of your eggs in one basket. If that contractor goes belly up, you are in the same position.
                Good point, this exact thing happened to a plumber I know.

Comment

With all due respect for a guy who should be skirting the shadows you sure put yourself out there.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Good luck Glkearns. I wouldn't recommend switching to service and repair and this point. Its totally different business model. Its like starting over almost. I can't imagine trying to switch over to construction plumbing, it would take me at least a year to shift gears.
                    They are different animals. Both take awhile to get the hang of and then you never stop learning.

J.C.

Comment

Of course you can brother, but PLEASE work on getting your license, instead of snubbing your nose at it.

Comment

Of course you can brother, but PLEASE work on getting your license, instead of snubbing your nose at it.
                        See, now you have me all wrong. I am in no way snubbing my nose, at anything for that matter.

Comment

See, now you have me all wrong. I am in no way snubbing my nose, at anything for that matter.

So you are rethinking the statement you made that red-flagged you? ->
                          You guys all sound like a bunch of whiny cry-babies. If he is doing plumbing, regardless of whether or not he has a license, he will either go out of business because of inferior work, or he will be a success because of his superior work. If that is all you have to worry about you need to do something to make yourself a little busier. Either way, none of you have any business sticking your nose into his. You guys all sound like a bunch of tattle-tale snitches. Let the Mexican make a little money.

Comment

Greg, if I recall correct..you had another GC kick you to the curb maybe six months ago.

This tells me one of two things..
                            You're prices are high..or you have a good nature and GC's take advantage of it with bluffs.

I DO know that taking 15% off your price twice over would have me questioning whether I could affrord to work at that rate.

I understand it's 60% of your business, but you really need to crunch numbers and see what that leaves you...might not be worth fighting for in the longrun.

Also, once you cut your price, it's permanent and he'll expect that from now on.

I am baffled at that stupid 3 trade rule...it's an insane hobbling of our trade in your state.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              They are different animals. Both take awhile to get the hang of and then you never stop learning.

J.C.

I've done both, just got deeper into remodeling, and really don't advertise at all, do maybe 2 service calls a week as time permits. i guess my statement before should have been switching my focus to service/repair. And filling the time with remodeling as it comes in at the right price.

Greg

Comment

Everyone in the wood construction is hurting...Bad.Only major wood I see going up in a 50 mile radius are LARGE condo projects.I know the plumbing contractor and even those he had to give away to keep the guys busy.Housing and remodel plumbers are having a hard time.This is the nature of the beast.

There will be companies in this hard period that WILL out bid you,a lot if them.They are trying to stay afloat as well.

If you are truely as low as you can go.Then stick.

Comment

Working...
                                X