Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To compromise, or stand pat?

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
    Me too. Slow, does not even begin to tell the story of remodeling/additions up here.

Greg
    I know,I'm sorry.I wish we did not have to go through this "cleansing period",but it will be so much nicer for you after the rats drown out.

Comment

So, i stood my ground, basically calling their hand. turns out it was a bluff, and were just doing what everyone here has been saying, trying to beat me down to absorb some of MY profits...glad I stood my ground. Thanks everyone.

Greg
      GREAT! Glad it worked out. Now try to spread your business percentages & pickup more service too.

J.C.

Comment

So, i stood my ground, basically calling their hand. turns out it was a bluff, and were just doing what everyone here has been saying, trying to beat me down to absorb some of MY profits...glad I stood my ground. Thanks everyone.

Greg
        I feel like I just watched the Red Sox win the world series again...thats FANTASTIC news.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
          I feel like I just watched the Red Sox win the world series again..
          Ho-Hum

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            I feel like I just watched the Red Sox win the world series again...thats FANTASTIC news.

Yes indeed.

But before the champagne bottle cork is popped, I'd be getting a backup line of work and quick if the income is needed.

Nothing lasts forever.

Let's kill it again!
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
              Yes indeed.

But before the champagne bottle cork is popped, I'd be getting a backup line of work and quick if the income is needed.

Nothing lasts forever.

Let's kill it again!
              Funny, I came back to this thread just to add that...he should learn from this and continue with any back up plans he may have come up with.
              A stunt like that reveals alot about how dependant he is on the one contractor.

Comment

greg im so glad it worked out for you............but give it a serious thought about diversifying as in getting more and more into service work......it will pay in the long run.......lots of luck....john c

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                  Tell them a price and be done with it. There are still a lot of people out there with money and they are not afraid to spend it.

I agree -- plus if you lower your price too much, you not only don't get a fair profit to which you're entitled, but you leave little room for contingencies...

Everybody wants a deal, but don't these guys realize that something's got to give when the price is lowered too much. I always want the other guy to make money. If he ain't, then I wonder how he's going to do the job he's been asked to do.

Comment

On my product I'm toting now, I have a considerable interest in it now and I'm getting emails and phone calls, but they cringe when I tell them the price.

"Some" are telling me that I should lower the price to get that out there so people know.....

I say no, absolutely no because I'm not going to rent/lease out a $2000 piece of equipment for $100, no way.

I'd rather let it sit and collect dust before I come out giving good deals. That's would be my fast decline in my second biz. If I'm the only guy doing it, and there's no one else that has it.......price shop away because sooner or later you'll realize how valuable the product is, and what it provides.

"Too much" is what I'm hearing and I promise with gas prices as high as they are, I could lose my *** real quick when I figure in all the expenses surrounding the delivery, setup, come back and breakdown, get it all loaded back up and off to another.

It's a valuable lesson I'm learning real quick; don't bother with the little guy wanting a couple units......think big picture and do big events only, let the little guy find someone else to shop price on.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                      It's a valuable lesson I'm learning real quick; don't bother with the little guy wanting a couple units......think big picture and do big events only, let the little guy find someone else to shop price on.

The flip side is this: sometimes its better to have 100 little guys as customers rather than 2 big guys. You lose one big guy, and there's 50% of your business. You lose a couple of little guys, less of a problem.

I am, in one sense, in the same boat as you. I've got some expensive products that I believe few can compete with. We've been in business 41 years, so by now people in the niche field sort of know about us, but still, it takes some education of the customer on the part of the sales man to explain why something that "looks" similar is not similar and deserves to be priced higher.

That said, and related to my first point, I've sold to a couple of big guys, and its good business, but it's not always all that its cracked up to be. They often pay on time, but the margin isn't as high and I've found that they chisel you on price as much or more than a little guy.

Comment

Working...
                      X