Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invoices

Hey guys!

For now, I'll just be writing up the invoices manually instead of using a computer program since I don't have a laptop to carry around in my van and I'll be getting service calls throughout the day (hopefully).

For those that do manual invoices, do you go through Nebs or is there another company that offers "professional" invoices?

Thanks in advance for any help
    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Re: Invoices

I couldn't find any I liked through Nebs or anyone else. If you are charging T&M, then Nebs is good. But I have to custom-print my own since I'm flat-rate.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

nebs should have all the up to date legal mumbo jumbo already pre printed for your state.

the great thing about a lap top is the ability to pull up any invoice at any time. no to mention all your contact list and material pricing.

a laptop that will do all you need and a portable printer will be well under $1,000. depending on an invoice program $40.- $300. will be the rest of the ticket.

start off with the forms and try to transition to a computer. your customers and accountant will really appreciate it

my current system i use has 9 years worth of info at my disposal. not just billing info, but real job, customer notes. almost like medical records for a doctor

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I'll buy a small quantity of certain forms, then I'll manually copy that on microsoft word or whatever, then print out a mass quantity for the future. I don't take my laptop with me either. I do the same with contracts, but each job is different so it'll get slightly changed for that job....
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys!

I might buy some sort of computer program for keeping track of invoices and customer information, but I can always input that after the day is over with (for now). I'll be getting 2 part invoices so I can leave one for the customer and have one for my records.

In the future, I'd like to have the laptop on the van along with maybe a printer to print invoices and have it look custom.

Thanks again!
          YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
            Hey guys!

For now, I'll just be writing up the invoices manually instead of using a computer program since I don't have a laptop to carry around in my van and I'll be getting service calls throughout the day (hopefully).

For those that do manual invoices, do you go through Nebs or is there another company that offers "professional" invoices?

Nebs is a great resource for a small (but very qualified) operation. Consider a three part copy and take documentation of your work very seriously (especially recommendations that were not approved by the customers). That written document will save your hiny more than once over the years.

Original for the current year file, 1 copy to the customer, and 1 copy to the 7 year file (stored off site).
            spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
              Nebs is a great resource for a small (but very qualified) operation. Consider a three part copy and take documentation of your work very seriously (especially recommendations that were not approved by the customers). That written document will save your hiny more than once over the years.

Original for the current year file, 1 copy to the customer, and 1 copy to the 7 year file (stored off site).
              Makes complete sense Thanks!

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

So whats a good invoice software program? I already have a notebook.

Comment

I use My Invoices and Estimates Deluxe based on the recommendation by Drain Medic and Plumber Rick. It works very well and is easily customizable. Since I don't have a laptop yet, I mail out my invoices and this hasn't been a problem with any of my customers.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks GJ. I went to cnet.com, downloaded the trial version but it wont install for some reason. Since 3 of you recommend it, maybe I'll buy the full version and be done with it. Was hoping to try it out first.
                    Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
                      Thanks GJ. I went to cnet.com, downloaded the trial version but it wont install for some reason. Since 3 of you recommend it, maybe I'll buy the full version and be done with it. Was hoping to try it out first.
                      Thanks again.
                      It is a very simple, basic program to navigate, yet it seems pretty inclusive. I know Rick's favorite part is being able to run reports from the data-it is a life saver at tax time!
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                        Hey guys!

I had Nebs do a custom one for me, I took one of their templetes and added my info and logo, very nice, I was very happy, they did a great job and I was 150% pleased. I had front and back printing on mine.

I still have a few old ones i need to finish, can't wait to start using the new ones!!
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
                          Thanks again.
                          It only cost 40 and can be found either at office max or office depot, can't remember which one.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I enter all my accounting into quickbooks, and there is an accounting breakdown on the back, shows my profit, cost of materials, etc.

My quickbooks is easy at the end of the year, 10 minute copy to a disk and off to the accountant, all done

My Paper invoices kind of back up my computer, this way I do not have all my egg's in one basket.
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                              I enter all my accounting into quickbooks, and there is an accounting breakdown on the back, shows my profit, cost of materials, etc.

My quickbooks is easy at the end of the year, 10 minute copy to a disk and off to the accountant, all done

My Paper invoices kind of back up my computer, this way I do not have all my egg's in one basket.
                              Same here. I even do my own taxes, without quickbooks it would be a nightmare.
                              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                              X