Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Getting it right

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
    What is the starting wage in your state?
    You'd have to shop around, start your time from scratch, but with your experience you could probably talk a master into paying you 15-17 an hour, bear in mind the cost of living is higher here.
    You'd also need to prepare to eat a lotta crow, you have undoubtedly developed a few bad habits over time...keep your mind open and be humble.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
      Here you could easily earn 25/hr minimum if you are a halfway decent serviceman
      If memory serves, it's different in NYC area...you can work as a licensed guy as long as your on a masters payroll...I get that right?

Comment

It is about the same in both Southern California and in Southern Nevada. However, the service guys in my shop (Southern California - T&M) were doing that or better 10-years ago when I sold my shop.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

ToUtahNow is correct. Your best bet is to present your case to the board to let you take the test. If you have apprentice time or College credits it will help. Here is the information from the Michigan state website.

Plumber's Licenses
          To do plumbing work in Michigan you need a master or journeyman license. To get an application for a license, contact:
          Michigan Department of Labor
          Bureau of Construction Codes/Plumbing Board
          7150 Harris Drive
          P.O. Box 30254
          Lansing, MI 48909
          (517) 241-9330
          http://www.michigan.gov/cis/
          You will have to pass an exam to get a license. To qualify for the master exam you need two years of work experience as a Michigan licensed journeyman plumber. You must have completed the experience just before you apply for the exam. If you got your experience in another state or in some other way, you can appear before the Board and present your case to take the exam.
          The written part of the exam is on the general theory and practice of plumbing and Michigan plumbing laws and regulations. The practical part of the exam will test your ability to do various mechanical tasks connected with the plumbing trade.
          Plumber's license fees: It will cost you $50 to apply for the master exam. The license costs $200 and it's good for three years. If you can prove you have a valid license in a state with qualifications at least equal to Michigan's, you may be eligible for a Michigan license without taking the exam. You still need to pay the fee though.
          To qualify for the journeyman exam you must have at least three years experience as an apprentice plumber working under a master plumber. If you have Board-approved education you can use it for up to one year of the three years experience requirement. If you got your experience in another state or in some other way, you can appear before the Board and present your case to take the exam.
          The exam willl consist of oral, written, and practical tests and will cover the theory and practice of plumbing and knowledge of the state plumbing code, rules, and regulations.
          Journeyman's license fees: It will cost you $25 to apply for the journeyman exam. The license costs $20 and it's good for one year, expiring on December 31 each year. If you can prove you have a valid license in a state with qualifications at least equal to Michigan's, you may be eligible for a Michigan license without taking the exam. You still need to pay the fee though.

Good luck
          Mike
          Last edited by myakka; 06-22-2008, 07:26 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            If memory serves, it's different in NYC area...you can work as a licensed guy as long as your on a masters payroll...I get that right?
            thats the way it was when i was plumbing there 20yrs ago
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I doubt he'ld get that here even with a license. You guys from the east coast always laugh when I tell you what we get for our rates in the midwest. Devine, you'll get more than the average starting plumber, especially if you find someone who'll put you into a service truck right out of the shoot. More than likely, they'ld put you with someone for a week or two first to see if you are what you say you are, but than if you got into a service truck I'ld guess you'ld start at somewhere around $15 to $18. Maybe more but I doubt it (at least to start).

It does make sense for you to partner up with another plumber who's on his own or is running a smaller shop for new construction. He may be thrilled to have someone who can do service work. A lot of the smaller outfits around here use us for some of that, (cause they know we're not out to steal their customers). You having your own customer base means they don't have to worry about finding work for you. There's a guy down Adrian way like this, who was willing to pay more than I make now for a service guy, cause he couldn't find anyone in his area. (that was a few years ago.) They're out there.

It's the best move for you I think, but I'ld avoid the guy who isn't paying his bills. A guy who owes me right now is avoiding me, and I'm kicking myself because two other people I know had the same problem with him and I still took his job. Stupid stupid stupid. It should set off alarm bells.
              sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                Im not in NYC but here in Westchester County you cant just "hire" a master (put him on your payroll) and claim you are licensed. As per our licensing board the Master must OWN at least 51% of the company and show proof to be considered licensed. I would assume that NYC is at least the same as they tend to be more strict on most issues.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  It is about the same in both Southern California and in Southern Nevada. However, the service guys in my shop (Southern California - T&M) were doing that or better 10-years ago when I sold my shop.

Mark
                  Thats why I said "If you are HALFWAY DECENT you could EASILY make 25/HR MINIMUM"

Comment

Working...
                  X