X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Truck VS Small Truck-better mpg

When gas gets about $7 a gallon I'm going to buy a school bus and turn it into my mobile office in the front, living quarters in the middle, my inventory and tools in the back.

That way I can call it a day right outside the customer's house, wait for the next call and I pull out from there.

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeext!
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I'm going for an AirStream.

J.C.

Comment

When i worked for companies, i started off using a Ford Diesel van. Drove one of those for 5yrs. Then switched companies, went to a Chevy van. Didnt like that as much as the diesel. Small, slower, and not as much room as the diesel. Drove the Chevy for a yr and they went to Hino box trucks. I was in heaven with that truck. Hackney body in the back. It had a pull out ramp in the back, and you could walk around upright in the back. The stock back there was insane. It was like a mini supply house. There was even a spot on top of the shelf for the ladder. All those shelves and a US Jetter in the back as well with a side rollup door for the hose and controls. It was a super sewer truck. I never saw anything like. My old co did their homework on the trucks and we were kicking butt with them. Only downfall i had with those box trucks was driving around Center city Phila and trying to park on the small streets. I do miss the box trucks, as it had everything. I have 2 Chevy Express Vans now. Nice and easy to park in the city, but cannot carry half the things i use to have in the box trucks.
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I considered getting a box truck also Greg. Parking was one problem. Do you have the extended version Chevys? It adds a couple feet of floor space in length, which surprisingly makes a big difference.
          I really like the extended GMC and will probably get another one if I don't go to a box truck next time.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

for years i drove a gmc 1 ton van. fully loaded at 9200# the mileage was not so great. probably around 7mpg.

since 2000 i drive a gmc w4500. same as the isuzu. now it carries 14,000# and gets 5-6 mpg.sure it has everything, but there is no reason for me to have that much stuff in the truck as i have it at the shop too.

drain cleaning doesn't require as much parts as plumbing. but i do both.
            i guess i'm used to the luxury of having the stuff right outside. but at the same time i can easily return with anything that i don't have in the truck.

next truck will probably be a 1 ton van again.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
              I considered getting a box truck also Greg. Parking was one problem. Do you have the extended version Chevys? It adds a couple feet of floor space in length, which surprisingly makes a big difference.
              I really like the extended GMC and will probably get another one if I don't go to a box truck next time.

No, i dont have the extended van. Next van will be though.
              The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                Sure there is
                Not in your case.

Comment

I'm in a small truck...not a Ranger or an S-10, a 1500.
                  It has become the most frustrating experience of my life attempting to stay organized...I even made two custom sliding racks so I could slide everything out and it's still often overwhelming to find things.
                  I need a van, but for now the cost of gas is whats stopping me.
                  I've been entertaining the idea of a small trailer or similar to keep excess tools and stock in that I can take for larger jobs when needed.

At well over $4 a gallon, I just don't want to paint myself into an expensive corner buying a larger cube van or box truck that'll eat a gallon every 10 miles.

I have a buddy who has been offering to sell me his van...it's an 8 cylinder chevy, he's looking to size down to a 6 cyl 1500 for the same reason I'm afraid to get a larger truck...he just bought the van 6 months ago and says the gas is breaking his bank.

Comment

Working...
                  X