X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Truck VS Small Truck-better mpg

I didn't want to get Carl's thread sidetracked. On paper the small truck will beat the big truck in fuel economy but I believe a big truck saves fuel because you don't have to go back to the supply house or the shop. You have everything with you in one shot. What's your thought?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Big Truck VS Small Truck-better mpg

I agree Ben unless you have a bunch of guys out there doing minor stuff you need a truck which has tools and materials on it. I know several shops which have these guys go out in little trucks that are limited in knowledge and ability and when they can't handle it a real plumber comes out in a real truck. In the long run they make pretty good money with cheap labor but It does not seem fair to the customer.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I originally bought the small astro thinking that it would save me on fuel, etc. It turns out tiny Astro got only around 15 mpg! So the fuel economy was pathetic for a small cargo van. The Extended GMC 3500 gets around 11 mpg city driving. The astro was not a huge savings considering the VERY dramatic cut in cargo space.

BTW, going from the minivan to working out of my EXTENDED fullsize van is like heaven! I can carry all I need and even walk around in the back to get stuff (bent over of course.)
      I am able to keep all my cable machines, a handtruck, shop vac, etc, etc. plus stock a lot more parts...like faucets and disposals to upsell while I am already at someone's house.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Is the 3500 fully loaded because 11 mpg is great compared to some people I know? I plan on buying a isuzu npr chassis with a hackney body. All I need is 40k.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

For the work our company does, Astro vans work great, since most material gets delivered to the jobs by the supply house.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            Is the 3500 fully loaded because 11 mpg is great compared to some people I know? I plan on buying a isuzu npr chassis with a hackney body. All I need is 40k.
            Actually those numbers were while the trucks were empty. 15 for the astro, 11 for the 3500. Of course weighted down they will be worse. I am in the process of tracking it. I will post 'weighted' mpg's for the 3500 as soon as possible.

Comment

Wow, 15mpg for the empty astro is really bad. I get 16 now and my truck is fully loaded.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                Wow, 15mpg for the empty astro is really bad. I get 16 now and my truck is fully loaded.
                I have a lead foot. I have consciously lightened it quite a bit since buying the big gas guzzler though!

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
                  For the work our company does, Astro vans work great, since most material gets delivered to the jobs by the supply house.
                  Yes, for jobs where you can get a delivery truck to foot the bill, smaller truck is better.

However, for a full-service plumbing or HVAC business, you need a warehouse on wheels.

Comment

Go big or go home.

But seriously even with a truck this big well stocked there is always something that I need to go somewhere and get during the day. I am thinking of getting something bigger.
                    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                      Go big or go home.

But seriously even with a truck this big well stocked there is always something that I need to go somewhere and get during the day. I am thinking of getting something bigger.
                      We went the Step-Van route for a while but tired of the smell and the noise. Of course or bulkheads were a cage with a passage door so while it secured the bed it did not separate the bed.

Mark

Comment

Yes, I added a partition and installed a bench seat in case my kids needed to ride. I am now thinking about ripping out some of the big Snap-On shelves and installing shelving units that are not quite as deep. Some of the angled shelves make it tough to store items on them. Time to put a door or passage window in the partition wall. As it is now I have to lower the lift gate on every job.
                        Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 06-22-2008, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          I agree Ben unless you have a bunch of guys out there doing minor stuff you need a truck which has tools and materials on it. I know several shops which have these guys go out in little trucks that are limited in knowledge and ability and when they can't handle it a real plumber comes out in a real truck. In the long run they make pretty good money with cheap labor but It does not seem fair to the customer.

Mark
                          There's no correlation between truck size and plumbing experience.

Comment

Originally posted by TomSV650 View Post
                            Sure there is

Comment

Originally posted by TomSV650 View Post
                              But of course I never said there was. What I said was I know of several shops which have guy with less experience working out of small trucks and guys in big trucks with more experience coming out to save them. The size of the truck does not give them the experience but the shop figures why set a truck up with sewer cameras, pipe locating and leak locating equipment if the guy doesn't know how to use them. One of the shops has twenty trucks but only two guys which I would consider qualified plumbers. The shop makes a lot of money but when a guy suspects a slab leak a new appointment is set up for a "supervisor" to come out to locate and repair the problem. This of course is at an additional charge to what the customer has already paid. So basically the experience of the guy is what set the size of the truck in this shop not for plumbers in general.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X