X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 800 Number or Local?

I service an area that borders on and has two different area codes. At the moment I have just the one area code. Would it be cheaper and or wiser to get an 800 number or add another local number with the other area code?

Thanks

Re: 800 Number or Local?

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
    I service an area that borders on and has two different area codes. At the moment I have just the one area code. Would it be cheaper and or wiser to get an 800 number or add another local number with the other area code?

Thanks
    I always feel more comfortable calling a local number then an 800 number for some reason.

Comment

i'd go with a local # over the 800, unless you are dealing with a multi-state or county aera.

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

with an 800#, caller id blocking doesn't work for the caller. it also allows you to track your source of calls. but there's a price to pay for an 800#.

i don't think it's a wise idea for you at this point in your business.

typically 800# work when you don't mind traveling some distance.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

typically 800# work when you don't mind traveling some distance.

rick.
          I'm not a fan of huge empire-like service areas.
          Thanks Rick

Comment

I chose the local number to show just that...I AM local and available. I think an 800# seems so, not hometown-local-we are here to stay.

Comment

I only use a cell # as my area is so rural I have to have a huge area that I travel. Many Plumbers in my area will not travel very far, and customers assume I will be the same, but since I am strictly a drain cleaning business in a rural area My service area is huge.

Many times I will get a call and the first thing the caller will ask is "where are you located?" I then reply "Pittsfield, but we travel all over" They then proceed to tell me their problem.

I think if I used a land line I would lose about 50% of my calls from the already weak yellow page ad calls just because potential customers assume that I would not travel that far.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                I chose the local number to show just that...I AM local and available. I think an 800# seems so, not hometown-local-we are here to stay.
                I second that.
                Kenneth Collier
                Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                Jackson, MS 39206
                (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                  I only use a cell # as my area is so rural I have to have a huge area that I travel. Many Plumbers in my area will not travel very far, and customers assume I will be the same, but since I am strictly a drain cleaning business in a rural area My service area is huge.

Many times I will get a call and the first thing the caller will ask is "where are you located?" I then reply "Pittsfield, but we travel all over" They then proceed to tell me their problem.

I think if I used a land line I would lose about 50% of my calls from the already weak yellow page ad calls just because potential customers assume that I would not travel that far.
                  WOW,Gene,how do you handle traveling so far?T&m,flat rate+mileage.etc,? I charge full time over 20 miles.Just wondering,as a person can rack up miles quick,servicing a multi-county area.
                  Kenneth Collier
                  Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                  Jackson, MS 39206
                  (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                  drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                    I always feel more comfortable calling a local number then an 800 number for some reason.
                    Right, the local number looks more personable than the 800#, and it gives people a sense that your business is a local, hometown business.
                    Schumacher Homes

Comment

Working...
                    X