X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Closing Sales

I use a non-pressure approach to closing sales. I make suggestions as to the options available and what would best benefit the customer, and then the decision is in their court. People are comfortable with me that way. I have had quite a few people say "no" or "I'll think about it" and instead of being aggressive and pushy, I say ok and leave my card....so many times, the people have called me back to do the job and I get a customer for life. Which is the best type of all!
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
      I use a non-pressure approach to closing sales. I make suggestions as to the options available and what would best benefit the customer, and then the decision is in their court. People are comfortable with me that way. I have had quite a few people say "no" or "I'll think about it" and instead of being aggressive and pushy, I say ok and leave my card....so many times, the people have called me back to do the job and I get a customer for life. Which is the best type of all!
      I find white-collar professionals are constantly bombarded by people trying to sell them something, because they are so easy to identify as having funds, so low pressure really is refreshing to them. These people have had 8-10 years of schooling after HS, so they kinda know when your only interest is getting their money into your pocket.
      http://www.refined-home.com

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
        I'm no guru here, but thats what I do.

Had one customer tell me he picked me over three others because I seemed least interested in pummeling him with flashy terms and rushing him to a decision..he told me one of the other guys was dressed up like a car salesman and acted like one as well.

Another guy I did a boiler for told me I was the most down to earth, he liked having the job done by someone more personable and less focussed on mock professionalism.

That one presented a unique problem though, took waaay too long to finish because I kept getting distracted, hanging out in his garage yakking.

I'll say it again, no guru here...what I do is just be myself...part of the sales process is to pace the outcome or atmosphere of the way the job will go.
        Promise them whatever they want, present yourself as super clean cut & perfect and you might get painted into a corner with their expectations.

I've even intentionally over-priced or subtely disuaded my share of potential jobs that seemed to have a bit much tension or hightened expectations figuring they'll either pass on me, or the extra money will cover the extra headaches.

I try to tactfully shoot from the hip, even make a small joke or two and ease tensions to make communications that much easier down the road.

Carl, thank you for reopening the actual topic...it's a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by savant View Post
          I find white-collar professionals are constantly bombarded by people trying to sell them something, because they are so easy to identify as having funds, so low pressure really is refreshing to them. These people have had 8-10 years of schooling after HS, so they kinda know when your only interest is getting their money into your pocket.
          I don't think 10 years of school is it, but you're right about that.

Comment

I never tried to "close" a sale I always tried to help my customer make an informed decision. I feel you only need to "close" a sale when it is your only bite at the apple. My business model was to work for them once and become their plumber for life.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I find making a good first impression, then looking them in the eye while educating is a basic but effective tactic in closing a sale.
              spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by savant View Post
                I probably fall into that demographic (6 years of school, 3 for B.S. and 3 more for Ph.D). I hate high pressure sales tactics, and will just walk out on them. I think that if you are making any serious decision, you should always have a few options to choose from; and some time to compare them. If I'm not given that time I would rather not make the decision than come to a potentially bad one; because if you are presented with an offer even if you pass it up, I you reasonably likely to find something similar (maybe not quite as good, but probably not too much worse). On the other hand if you just jump on it without the information, you could be overpaying or not getting the quality that you need.

Some things you can't apply this to, because you just need to fix them now; but how you're treated will influence your future purchasing decisions.

Comment

While im not nuts about him switching one last time I do think he'll stick with this name and its a more appropriate login.

As always we'll all keep an eye on what he is all about but I will give him the benefit of the doubt from here on out. Fresh start.

PC, please try to live by these few rules
                  - do not use this forum for your own gain other than learning
                  - strive to keep the peace wherever possible
                  - respect all users in what you write to them both publicly and in PMs

I think ya get it. Welcome to the forum.

Josh

Comment

Re: Sorry Josh I saw your Post Too Late

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                    Curiousity is killing the cat here. Please tell me, why would you operate your business under another name than your real name?

I do this intentionally for many reasons.

1. Keeps me at the top of the yellow pages
                    2. Rhymes with another plumber in the area
                    3. Can use it in numerous phrases that works quite well for catchy quips
                    4. My last name really SUCKS and has been hacked to death by anybody and everybody
                    5. I like being a "second person" "Yeah, that ****ing dunbar dude, he gotta go.
                    6. My company name is synonymous with an armored services company that goes around picking up $100 dollar bills, just like me.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                      I do this intentionally for many reasons.

1. Keeps me at the top of the yellow pages
                      2. Rhymes with another plumber in the area
                      3. Can use it in numerous phrases that works quite well for catchy quips
                      4. My last name really SUCKS and has been hacked to death by anybody and everybody
                      5. I like being a "second person" "Yeah, that ****ing dunbar dude, he gotta go.
                      6. My company name is synonymous with an armored services company that goes around picking up $100 dollar bills, just like me.
                      Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                        Huh?

Dunbar

Dupont

I get their calls, they probably get my calls.

But I've walked into many jobs where they swore up and down I've been there.....and I say "okay!" even though I know it has to be my competition.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          Hell yeah it matters. This is just one example where Leonard has lied to the forum. I don't listen liars as I can't trust anything they say. His "Arts Cabinet" name? He got that name when he posed as a customer giving props to his plumbing company. When Devine was here, he pissed off a lot of people because of his issues but he never lied to us and now and then would come up wish some really good advice. But Leonard has lied to the forum time and time again so whatever he says carries a shadow of doubt.
                          I looked it up and you're right, he was deceptive, but not for the sake of promoting his company (I think).
                          Post # 16:
                          Humming pipes - RIDGID Plumbing Forum, Woodworking Forum, Power Tool Forum

What I don't get is why he's posing as a customer who's NOT happy with Bestl-ne price...?
                          Maybe he was attempting to guage other plumbers replies?
                          It doesn't look like he was trying to promote his company, at least not the way it seems to read...makes no sense at all.

Comment

Working...
                          X