X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discount price for group rates?

Finally got a call after almost 2 weeks of no work. Was a mainline stoppage and was able to sell a sewer inspection. For this work, I do have a price for stoppage/inspection so that's not the issue. The neighbor saw the inspection and wanted to know if I could do his line as well. I knocked 85 off the price and ended up inspecting 9 people's houses in about 4 hours. Pretty happy to say the least but is the discount appropriate? I think it's alright but want to hear other opinions.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Discount price for group rates?

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Finally got a call after almost 2 weeks of no work. Was a mainline stoppage and was able to sell a sewer inspection. For this work, I do have a price for stoppage/inspection so that's not the issue. The neighbor saw the inspection and wanted to know if I could do his line as well. I knocked 85 off the price and ended up inspecting 9 people's houses in about 4 hours. Pretty happy to say the least but is the discount appropriate? I think it's alright but want to hear other opinions.
    I guess that would depend on your normal rate. If your normal rate is $90 I may start subbing stuff out to you.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      I guess that would depend on your normal rate. If your normal rate is $90 I may start subbing stuff out to you.

Mark
      I'm cheap but I'm not quite that cheap.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ben, I think only you can decide. It's a slippery slope discounting rates. Some people will expect you to be cheap every time and then all you end up is with a bunch of cheap customers. However.......

I probably would have discounted a % also. You're in the same area so that eliminated-let's say-9 more trips of fuel and lost time in travel. One person extra-NO. But you picked up 9! And that's 9 people that can be repeat customers. Just don't discount when you go back for 1 call to the same area. So I say-Good Sale!

J.C.

Comment

Like JC says, it's your choice. The real test will be when they call you back and you give them the price and they want to start haggling like they are buying a used car.

Sorry to hear you haven't worked in two weeks.
          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

You went out to do one job and got nine others out of it !!!!
            I thought you said you were not a good salesman ?
            I discount jobs all the time especially the quick ones just dont sell yourself short I usually just take give about 20 bucks off my minimum 1 hour

Comment

At least around here landscapers do it all the time, because they don't lose any travel time. Works better with them, because it is quicker to mow two yards as one; but still has some logic for you. Also, you can look at it as pretty effective advertising. $85 seems like a pretty big discount though. I would expect something like $50 (a bit less than a trip fee).

Comment

I'm cheap but I'm not quite that cheap.
                You should never say you are cheap or easy. You should say you are reasonable or flexible Maybe this only counts coming from a girl
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

What will happen when the the original job talks to the neighbors and finds out everyone ge the cut rate but him?
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

She got the better deal as he was a mainline cleaning/inspection so her job was different than everyone else's. I do lower my price when I'm doing additional work at a residence. I call it an add-on and tried to give the same thought process.

As far as selling the job, the camera does it by itself. Most people aren't sure what a camera inspection is but once they see it, they understand and don't mind the money. In the codebook, I have 2 pages of actual pictures from my inspections so they can see an offset, roots, grease, etc.
                    Last edited by gear junkie; 07-20-2008, 09:27 AM.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ben you would have never got the recommendation from the neighbors if you were full price.

you did well for 4 hours worth of time and 9 video tapes.

you have 9 first time customers and 9 repeats plus all their referrals.

as long as nothing broke and there was minimal wear and tear on the camera, you made some money and got your foot into the door for repeat business.

it might not pay off this month, but i can guarantee you that it will pay off in the future.

the customer knows that the special price was because they lined up the whole block.

that's exactly how i do it in a condo association. i do the entire complex for a running time and split it between the owners. this way it's cheep for the individuals. when it comes time to do a single unit repair, they know it's full fare. i've been at this building since 1996 so i know it works.

in fact this is the building you saw in my milk shake video.

not bad for 4 hours of work

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

only you can decide the proper discount, as for me you bet your wallet i would have backed my price down a bit, nice score

Comment

Working...
                        X