X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The $49 Drain Clean

I have not made one comment on Bestline since the first post (I think).

I think he has a great business model, I think it's ingenious. As long as the model remains ethical I think it really is a great moneymaker.

Lets face it we all have passed by the water heater (here they are in the basement) and glanced at the manufacturing date and have told Mrs. so and so that your water heater is 15 years old and blah, blah, blah. That is being not only a responsible plumber but being a good business man.

There is also another side to this. Lets say you go to Mrs. Smith's house for a 2nd floor lavatory stoppage, you really have no business being in the basement unless you have the owners permission to "check" the plumbing down there.

It almost reminds me of those chimney companies that offer to clean my chimney for 19.99. I guarantee that they tell every customer that they NEED their chimney lined.

Comment

If Mark and Masterplumb both say it's a good idea, I'll accept it based on the respect for those two. I'm still leery of the idea but maybe I'll see the light(if there is one) in the coming years when I've had their experience. I do agree with BHD that the deception of the pictures did put JL in a bad light in my eyes.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Jack,

Do you send two people for the drain clean as per Rick's suggestion that you do? (One for cleaning and the other for investigation.

Do you ask permission to perform the investigation?

During the investigation, do you check every sink, shower, drain, faucet, etc... Or do you limit the investigation to the area of the home that you are working in?

By performing the investigation yourself, you can demomstrate common sense and integrity in the investigation. What happens when an investigation is delegated to a service plumber or sales person? Are you able to effectively control the investigations from afar? Or, do you find yourself at risk when an investigation is delegated?
        spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
          Do you ask permission to perform the investigation?

During the investigation, do you check every sink, shower, drain, faucet, etc... Or do you limit the investigation to the area of the home that you are working in?
          I'm sure if he didn't ask permission he would get kicked out of the house. I'm not gonna have a person I don't know running around my house without my supervision.

Comment

Originally posted by PCPlumber
            When we give an estimate for a specific service like installing copper pipes, we inspect everything and tell the customer that we are going to be like no other plumber. We tell the customer that we are not going to give an estimate just for what they requested because their request may result in future contractual problems. We tell the customer that we are going to inspect everything in their home and give them an estimate for what we think they need, even if our price is double all their estimates, at least they won't be slapped with add-ons after the job is started. This is one of the reasons we get twice as much money as most plumbers. We are actually MORE HONEST AND MORE UP FRONT!
            Great idea, I used to do that but have gotten away from it. Recently I realized I need to go back to doing things this way, it results in better sales and higher-quality work for the customer.

Thanks for the reminder.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              If Mark and Masterplumb both say it's a good idea, I'll accept it based on the respect for those two. I'm still leery of the idea but maybe I'll see the light(if there is one) in the coming years when I've had their experience. I do agree with BHD that the deception of the pictures did put JL in a bad light in my eyes.
              Gear, I appreciate the faith in me . I don't know Bestline or whatever his name is, I am not vouching for him as I dont know him and honestly I dont really care if he is a good businessman or not. I think if his business model is carried out legitimately it is a good plan thats all.

I dont understand or care to understand why he has to spend so much in advertising being in business for so long making so much money. I think its all fluff, as are a few members on this board (you know who you are).

Anyhow, I think you read me wrong as I dont think you are far off on reading this guy. I know others here have met with him and again I don't care that they did and think he's legit.

What is his interest in making you, me or anyone else money? Who really cares how much money his company makes. What makes him think that he makes more then me, you or anyone else? I can tell you that I have zero interest in telling people here my gross sales and income for last year or the year before that.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                Consider you are on a job to clear a kitchen sink stoppage and you look in the crawl space to see which way the pipe is running. If you see a water line flooding the crawl space do you "up sell" fixing the problem?

Mark
                You're right, and Jack has a very good point.
                Ben worked for a company that scammed folks, he was pushed to sell unecessary work regardless whether they needed it or not.
                He needs to know that not all selling is wrong.
                I personally have to admit I am very lacking here as well.
                I can even recall seeing potentially defective lines or drainage thats a clog waiting to happen and not said anything for fear of sounding like I was "selling" something.
                Quite frankly, I was wrong, it's my job description...to protect the health and sanitation of the public.

GREAT thread Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                  You're right, and Jack has a very good point.
                  Ben worked for a company that scammed folks, he was pushed to sell unecessary work regardless whether they needed it or not.
                  He needs to know that not all selling is wrong.
                  I personally have to admit I am very lacking here as well.
                  I can even recall seeing potentially defective lines or drainage thats a clog waiting to happen and not said anything for fear of sounding like I was "selling" something.
                  Quite frankly, I was wrong, it's my job description...to protect the health and sanitation of the public.

GREAT thread Jack.
                  Just take the owner to the problem and let them see it with their own eyes. It's all the selling you need to do in that situation.

Comment

please remember that it was a post on this forum that brought leonard to us. he was just curious why so many web site hits were coming from this forum.

i was also one who doubted his tactics and questioned his pricing. i was also 1 of 2 that actually live close enough to spend a coulple of hours with him at his office.

am i convinced this is the proper way to grow your business.

not for me. but i'm not looking to grow or work for complete strangers.

i do know that leonard is for real and his operation is real.

there will be some that benefit and some that can care less.

i actually applaud his willingness to help others on this forum.

i think that's why most of us are here. to teach and to learn. plus look at all the typing and computer skills we have gained from posting

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

!

Comment

Marianne.

J.c.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          Marianne.

J.c.
                          Go get cabe tv or something will ya, you cheap b@stard
                          Last edited by Masterplumb; 07-29-2008, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Re: Where to get flyers

Originally posted by PCPlumber
                            Sorry, can't find the original post.

We get our flyers printed on glossy paper, in full color, printed on both sides, at Licher Direct Mail in Pasadena, Ca. Ask for Lupa and tell her the cheaper and older Leonard sent you. Lupa Chinese and I hear she is hot.

Jack

Thanks Leonard

Comment

Re: Where to get flyers

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
                              Thanks Leonard
                              ps- i don't think her hotness will help me since I'm a woman too
                              Thanks Leonard
                              ps- i don't think her hotness will help me since I'm a woman too

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                                Go get cabe tv or something will ya, you cheap b@stard

Comment

Working...
                                X