C'mon rick, let that picture die.
    I tried I wouldn't tell him where to find it, but he was determined
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Re: The Hiring Process

All good information thanks everyone who has contributed

Spodelee, I don't have the effort to put into every applicant that you do. I wish I did. We do use the Washington Post which has 100's of thousands in circulation. That may be is part of the problem. On the Monday after a Sunday ad, our phones are inundated with people calling about the ad. This includes career headhunters and plumbers wives calling to apply in place of their deadbeat husbands. Magnetic signs are on every truck without a single response in 2 years. One month or more as a ride along just isn't practical unless he's a helper.

I would love to hire someone from the Forum. Take Aaron91 for example. He would be a perfect fit for us. He's eager, has some skills and most importantly willing to learn. He hasn't been poisoned by years of bad habits. He might need to bulk up some

Hawk, unfortunately some of our best plumbers do have long hair, dangle earings and tattoos. It does scare some of the old ladies a bit but their personality usually wins them over and they get requested for the next service call.

Is your mustache within company regulations?

It is pretty easy to tell if someone is trying to BS their way into a better job. Sometimes all it takes is a peek at their tools and what condition they are in.

Comment

I would add to your newspaper ad that you put in that you do drug/background/driving checks even if you dont. It'll keep away alot of riff-raff.
        Last edited by Masterplumb; 08-03-2008, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          All good information thanks everyone who has contributed

Spodelee, I don't have the effort to put into every applicant that you do. I wish I did. We do use the Washington Post which has 100's of thousands in circulation. That may be is part of the problem. On the Monday after a Sunday ad, our phones are inundated with people calling about the ad. This includes career headhunters and plumbers wives calling to apply in place of their deadbeat husbands. Magnetic signs are on every truck without a single response in 2 years. One month or more as a ride along just isn't practical unless he's a helper.

I would love to hire someone from the Forum. Take Aaron91 for example. He would be a perfect fit for us. He's eager, has some skills and most importantly willing to learn. He hasn't been poisoned by years of bad habits. He might need to bulk up some

Hawk, unfortunately some of our best plumbers do have long hair, dangle earings and tattoos. It does scare some of the old ladies a bit but their personality usually wins them over and they get requested for the next service call.

Is your mustache within company regulations?

It is pretty easy to tell if someone is trying to BS their way into a better job. Sometimes all it takes is a peek at their tools and what condition they are in.
          One nice thing about an internet listing is that you can control how the applications come to you. I usually don't provide a phone number and make them use the online application or fax The head hunter and otherwise unqualified go directly into deleted items. A PO box for a written add will do the same thing.

We picked up one tech, one of our best, with the truck signs. Overall though, it doesn't perform very well. You just never know.

I'll add one more thought - consistency. If you can find a way to control the traffic (I understand your concern), a consistent help wanted presence will bring really good people in the door when least expected - I think it is caused by "buzz" when people in the trade talk for various reasons about whose hiring. Of course then you have to find a place for them whether you want them or not. That's when I get busy and start expanding the business again.
          spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Interesting observation regarding one shop I worked for.
            The owner intentially stayed away from hiring married or family oriented plumbers to keep health insurance costs down and he felt single guys were less worried about making more money.

Logistically he'd boiled it down to a shop full of drugged, hungover and half baked maroons that were constantly getting call backs on their work.

BUT...his immediate overhead was lower.

Comment

I like to keep them waiting in my office while I got outside and check their bumper for Hillery or Obama stickers
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                Interesting observation regarding one shop I worked for.
                The owner intentially stayed away from hiring married or family oriented plumbers to keep health insurance costs down and he felt single guys were less worried about making more money.

Logistically he'd boiled it down to a shop full of drugged, hungover and half baked maroons that were constantly getting call backs on their work.

BUT...his immediate overhead was lower.
                LOL, I have been introduced to that concept and I agree, single/unattached guys make cheaper employees. Party!

I prefer a longer term approach. More quality people making top wages & benefit, but making a little less GP per man hour. Upside down I know, but I like to sleep well and training new people is EXPENSIVE. Also requires top notch customer service in order to be able to demand premium rates. Once I find a keeper, I do all that I can to keep'em.
                spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  I like to keep them waiting in my office while I got outside and check their bumper for Hillery or Obama stickers
                  Had a guy bring a hand gun to an interview once. He sat down and placed a small canvas bag with a zipper on the table. I started my routine and got him talkin', and a talkin', and a talkin'. I asked him what was in the bag and he said, "Oh, that's for my CWP". I said, "CWP", what's that?" He said, "Ugh, well, you know, Concealed Weapons Permit"

The interview quickly ended.

I watched him leave and noticed a huge "Get'er Done" sticker and a rebel flag plastered across the the back window of his jacked-up 4X4 . It was that day that I learned to go outside and look at a candidates vehicle while the candidate fills out his application!
                  spodelee

Comment

Interesting thread.

From a employee standpoint I tend to look at it this way.

If I see those signs on trucks that tell me they are hiring, I avoid that place. It tells me they have a high turn over rate. I know, it's not always true.

Secondly, I already know who I will work for in my area. The plumber world is small and if I hear of a employer consistently treating people bad I avoid them.

I will ask in the interview what the turn over rate is.

If I hear they cuss, scream and throw tantrums, I avoid them.

I will call he local supply house and ask my friends at the counter about the company and any money issues they have had. Do they consistently lay people off?

The plumbers in your area probably know about you and have already decided if they will work for you. Maybe not, D.C. is a big place.

My favorite way to become a employee of another company is to be approached by the owner. It feels good to be wanted.

I have been on plumbingagent.com in the past. It is a good way to get someone that is looking to make a move.
                    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                      Place an ad in a trade magazine or two, if your looking for professionals do the magazines.....

Professionals read the trade magazines unless they find this forum, then they wouldn't have the time no more. Hire someone from in here......

Does the "Professional that reads the trade magazine, while sitting on the toilet, does that give extraordinary circumstance and qualification?"
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                        Does the "Professional that reads the trade magazine, while sitting on the toilet, does that give extraordinary circumstance and qualification?"
                        Not sure about added qualification, but definitely worth a couple years worth of experience!
                        spodelee

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                          Well I think you can answer that one for yourself, since you are a Professional correct....
                          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                            LOL, I have been introduced to that concept and I agree, single/unattached guys make cheaper employees. Party!

I prefer a longer term approach. More quality people making top wages & benefit, but making a little less GP per man hour. Upside down I know, but I like to sleep well and training new people is EXPENSIVE. Also requires top notch customer service in order to be able to demand premium rates. Once I find a keeper, I do all that I can to keep'em.
                            Three times I went to give him my notice.
                            The first time I got a raise & company truck.
                            Second I got another raise.
                            Third time I refused a raise, told him I was sick of working twice as hard to make up for laziness and stupidity, I walked.

Sometimes I regret the decision, I really liked the boss and his family, but inevitably it was the fuel to get me off on my own.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                              Three times I went to give him my notice.
                              The first time I got a raise & company truck.
                              Second I got another raise.
                              Third time I refused a raise, told him I was sick of working twice as hard to make up for laziness and stupidity, I walked.

Sometimes I regret the decision, I really liked the boss and his family, but inevitably it was the fuel to get me off on my own.
                              Some are made to follow and others to lead. Either way, there is a place for everybody. That's the beauty of the American way!
                              spodelee

Comment

I started in this business by answering an ad in the newspaper. If I remember right it went like "High school graduate, want to learn a trade? Need to be honest, nice and hard working, we'll teach you the rest". This was over 10 years ago so some the wording is fuzzy but you get the point.

This is how I started doing hvac. If I ever higher someone, I probably go the same route.
                                Last edited by gear junkie; 08-04-2008, 05:30 AM.
                                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                                X