X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hiring Process

We desperately need new service plumbers but before I cast my line out and reel in some old tires I would like to get your ideas on the best way to handle the process.

In the past, when we needed someone, we look to the guys that were last laid off. I know, if they were any good in the first place they wouldn't likely have been laid off. But it's a known entity. You know what you are getting and they in turn know what to expect from the employer.

I can't see us going that route this time. I need fresh meat. Grade A USDA approved prime rib.

With a new administration coming to town, the 4th quarter of 2008 and 1st quarter 2009 will be booming for us. The upturn has actually started sooner than we thought. DC has a big broom sweeping the old dirt out of town.

How do you guys find quality workers? Do you approach them in supply houses hoping to lure them away from their current employers? I never liked that appoach but it has worked for us in the past.

Or do you place an ad in the paper and hope that one of a hundred that call are who you are looking for? I don't have the time or desire to prescreen every applicant.

Then, once hired, do you just hand them a company truck or do you let them ride around with another mechanic during the orientation period.

Most senior mechanics hate this but I have to know what we are getting before I place this guy in someones house all alone with the customer. The risk is huge and we have had some real sketchy plumbers come through here.

How do you filter out the weirdos, freaks, pervs, hacks, misfits, missing links, hot heads, pot heads, drunks, babies, whiners, tweakers, thieves and liars to get down to the 1 percent or less that are actually qualified to perform the job?

I might share some stories of past employees if you are interested

Looking forward to some good input

Re: The Hiring Process

Act like you get high on weed, drink beer regularly and smoke cigarrettes. Act like a buddy, old pal in the interviewing process and see if the guy warms up to the idea.

If he does, don't hire him.

Find somebody that "has" to work and has to support a family, minus the BS.

Oh and hire some smashingly hot secretary so you get caught messing around and that solves the hiring process altogether!

Hey at least it'll be fun while it lasts!
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Our friend use to place ads on Craigslist. They interviewed them, but also did background checks, including pulling their dmv record.
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
        Our friend use to place ads on Craigslist. They interviewed them, but also did background checks, including pulling their dmv record.
        i think it was 1 in 10 that actually panned out?

now back in the union days it was a 10 cent phone call

you know that's a long time ago as where do you find a 10 cent payphone now?

where do you even find a pay phone

even going that route, you still had a reject ratio as lots of the guys that sit around the hall were there not because work was slow

bill, i'm too old to relocate, but thanks for the offer

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

i say look for some one just like me and you cant go wrong
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

We usually steal them from the competition. It's kind of like musical chairs around here when the economy slows.

I like to put new guys with proven guys for a couple weeks to see how they work. Then I send them on a couple jobs by themselves and I check their work after they have left, not while they are there. I like to see what they think is acceptable and not hear excuses.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              bill, i'm too old to relocate, but thanks for the offer

rick.

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              I need fresh meat. Grade A USDA approved prime rib.
              Why do you think everything I post has to be about you?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                Why do you think everything I post has to be about you?
                only because mark is still sleeping and i beat him to the punch.

plus i gave you my cherry, can't you share the love

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

plus i gave you my cherry, can't you share the love

rick.
                  thats enough talk like that rick you know it makes me mad
                  Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

He should know better than having everyone in the same room. . .it's risky
                    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Geez, where do I start?

I use careerbuilder.com, which may or may not be good in your area. I use careerbuilder because they have a relationship with our local newspaper and consequently, there is always allot of reference to careerbuilder in the newspaper, which seems to drive people to the site. You might want to take a look at your classified adds to see if a similar relationship exists with your largest circulation newspaper.

We post magnetic signs on a couple of our trucks:

NOW HIRING
                      Good People,
                      Pay & Benefits

I never hire during the first interview. I sleep on it and if I still have a good gut feel the following morning, I call and set-up another interview, preferably several days after the first interview. I want them to want the job and be willing to work for it. This technique costs me a good hire every once and a while (gets snatched up by a competitor while waiting for the next interview), but I usually find that if they are willing to take the first opportunity given without exploring their options, then they are usually not a career oriented candidate. I have broken this rule on a couple of occasions when I "just knew" he/she was a good fit.

Talk, talk and talk some more during the interview. More time spent talking equals more information given.

If on more than two occasions they moved on to another job within two years, I throw them out of the running. If they call again about the job after the first interview, then I might put them back in the running.

I created a placement test that has technical and philosophical questions. I tell the candidate that some of the questions do not have a right or wrong answer, just do the best that you can. The test gives me insight into their technical abilities, moral character and judgment.

I try to call not the last employer, but the one before that. The last employer won't tell you anything, but the one before that will tend to have looser lips because more time has passed.

I take note if they ask for directions on how to get to our shop - not good.

The driving record tells a lot about integrity - consistent violations = rebel / troublemaker

I can't directly ask the question, but if the candidate brings up his/her family life, I try to explore that as much as I can through casual conversation. Is their home life a mess? Recently divorced? Mid life crisis? Probable wage garnishments? Not all of this stuff is necessarily bad, but it gives me a feel for their psychological stability - it's one thing to be motivated by family obligations, and another to be de-motivated by an ex wife that calls him three times a day wanting to know when her next payment will be arriving in the mail. General character can also be found here.

I have not found drug testing to be particularly helpful. It's too easy to cheat the test, especially when hiring new.

The new hire rides with our best "paperwork pro journeyman" for no less than one month. I call that journeyman in about once per week and ask, "What do you think?

The training journeyman is instructed not to "teach" hvac. He is to teach our way of doing business. Whether or not the new hire knows what he is doing will come out in general conversation.

If we find a major fault withing the first month, I NEVER TRY TO SALVAGE THEM. I cut my losses and let him or her go; the sooner the better. We almost always know within two weeks when they are not a keeper.

Tried of writing now. Hope this helps.
                      spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

bill our co will not hire some one with long hair ,looks like a slob ,earrings and other things appearance is a big thing with them .
                        new people work with some one for some time to see if they do know what they are doing and did not say they know something they dont .

i can tell if some one is BS me about what they know
                        Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                          thats enough talk like that rick you know it makes me mad
                          i still love you charlie

rick
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Place an ad in a trade magazine or two, if your looking for professionals do the magazines.....

Professionals read the trade magazines unless they find this forum, then they wouldn't have the time no more. Hire someone from in here......
                            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

C'mon rick, let that picture die.
                              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                              X