X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bryan's Idea of the $49 Drain Clean

Ok, attached is a draft of a post card that I am planning on mailing over the next year. I will probably buy about 100,000 of them and send about 8000 per month via direct mail.

This idea is pretty radical, but I see this as a better option than a loss leader drain clean.

Just remember one thing - THE CARD IS WRITTEN FOR WHAT MIGHT BE IMPORTANT TO THE CUSTOMER AND NOT TO YOU, A PROFESSIONAL PLUMBER!

I'm standing ready, eyes shut and ready for the fallout. Give it to me - what do you think? (Oh, damn, I'm nervous) ... no forget it.... oh heck, alright, fire away...
    Attached Files
    spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Re: Bryan's Idea of the $49 Drain Clean

I'd probably bite........then I'd kick you out before you found any other problems
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

You seem to be one of the most intelligent businessmen on this forum. I myself look up to and have benefitted from your ideas. Obviously you put a ton of thought and effort into this idea, and it will likely pay off exceedingly well for you.

I put a crapload of thought and effort into my marketing campaign this year, and yes it is now coming to fruition. My schedule went form part-time start-up business to full-blown working 6-7 days/week currently, to the point where I am now contemplating hiring someone soon. Ye shall reap what ye sow.

Good luck brother.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
        You seem to be one of the most intelligent businessmen on this forum. I myself look up to and have benefitted from your ideas. Obviously you put a ton of thought and effort into this idea, and it will likely pay off exceedingly well for you.

I put a crapload of thought and effort into my marketing campaign this year, and yes it is now coming to fruition. My schedule went form part-time start-up business to full-blown working 6-7 days/week currently, to the point where I am now contemplating hiring someone soon. Ye shall reap what ye sow.

Good luck brother.
        I agree. Well done, eye-catching, simple terms that appeal to the simple homeowner.

Everybody worries about the sink and the toilet, two things prominent in the flyer.
        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I'm just curious what your 20 point water heater tune up includes?

and I know you wanted a more homeowner type of mindset...
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
            Ok, attached is a draft of a post card that I am planning on mailing over the next year. I will probably buy about 100,000 of them and send about 8000 per month via direct mail.

This idea is pretty radical, but I see this as a better option than a loss leader drain clean.

Just remember one thing - THE CARD IS WRITTEN FOR WHAT MIGHT BE IMPORTANT TO THE CUSTOMER AND NOT TO YOU, A PROFESSIONAL PLUMBER!

I'm standing ready, eyes shut and ready for the fallout. Give it to me - what do you think? (Oh, damn, I'm nervous) ... no forget it.... oh heck, alright, fire away...
            The aerator/yuck check doesn't seem to have much value. The water heater check does have value because you can't do it yourself. The AC check also has value, and the combination of those two at your price seems like a great value.

Comment

Very well done. Did you write it yourself or do you belong to a trade group like psi, csg, airtime 500 etc. I use to work for someone who belonged to a trade group and got all copyrighted materials similiar to that. Again very well thought out.

BTW what is included in the 20 point wh inspection?
              Last edited by Masterplumb; 08-03-2008, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Spode, I could easily point out the impressive aspects of the mailer.
                I don't think thats what you're looking for...
                In all honesty, I'd make it shorter, get the major points right out in the open at the very top.
                I hate to throw Jack at you, but he made some very good points on his description of a good mailer.
                You want to get your point across before the reader gets the urge to toss it in the can....imagine your mailer coming in with a large batch of junk mail.
                You want folks to see something they want, rather than chaulk it up to the rest of the junk in the mail & toss it out.

Get their attention with colors or pictures, show your number right up front, and give them a reason to put it under the fridge magnet.

Not one word of what I said is from a plumbers perspective...all from a guy that gets a boat load of junk mail daily.

Comment

I agree with Mark. Its a great idea, but it needs some eye-popping design modifications. Make it jump out of the paper and grab your customer's attention!
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                    Get their attention with colors or pictures, show your number right up front, and give them a reason to put it under the fridge magnet.
                    Thats a really good point. The "coupon" aspect of it should probably be in a dashed box with some dollar value in big letters. I usually read the coupons to at least know what I'm throwing out before I do, and if it is a business I've used before may keep it "just in case."

Comment

I showed this to my wife and she says she lost interest in the first paragraph, too many words she says. She said keep it short and sweet.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I agree also. I think it is well written and I love the premise, but then I like to read and was interested already.

I thought about the few times over the last couple of years that those mailers have actually worked on me. One was an oil change/tune up coupon that ended up getting a lot of business dollars from me over the next few years. I bought tires, oil changes and tune ups from them. I since found out I get better prices and service from a much closer place--but not until that first one was closed on my day off.

They had big coupons and headings (goodyear) but not much more on their adds. That is what caught my eye I guess.

The others have all been restaurants I think, a different thing because they probably just benefited from my hunger more than their layouts.

I am taking a sales course right now and we are learning a TON of product information. One thing they keep telling us is that even though they want us to know everything we will not be telling the customer anymore than we think they want to hear. With some people price, others service and others product. Those add up to value but for each customer there is a different importance on each. You have given a good accounting of each in your mailer, but maybe more than needed. Hit them all very briefly and very hard and I think you will have the best chance of staying out of the dust bin.

Eli
                        A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

lee, i can't come up with 20 things off the top of my head to check on a water heater.

but i will try

1. proper operation of cold water shut off valve.

2. condition of flex connectors, unions, piping.
                          3. gas valve and flex condition/ soap test

4. venting condition and flue gas test.

5. combination pressure/ temperature relief valve is installed don't dare test it unless you plan on replacing it.

6. seismic strapping

7. hose bibb / drain not dripping.

8. flush water heater.

9. cycle gas valve for proper operation and possible temperature test.

10. i can't see checking the dip tube or anode rod

11. inspect the combustion chamber on non fvir heaters.

12. check proper clearances to combustibles

13. vent is properly screwed to draft diverter, and each other on single wall.

14. smitty pan clean.

15. location of smitty pan and prv drain.

16. pressure check.

17. recirc. pump noisy, timer?

18. clean fvir vent screen.

19. check date of manufacture

20. put your sticker on it

i clean aerators all the time. i guess i never have charged for cleaning them? sure if i spend 15 minutes going around and disassembling an entire 5 bathroom house, it would be an extra $21.25 for my time beyond the first hour.

sounds too much like an oil change 20 point check. i can't even get them to fill the tires.

good luck,

how close was my list?

rick.
                          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 08-04-2008, 12:53 AM. Reason: pricing correction
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            I showed this to my wife and she says she lost interest in the first paragraph, too many words she says. She said keep it short and sweet.

Instantly what I thought......and even though it's very good, no one will ever read the entire thing.

I'd section it out, keep it simple and use images that are not commonly used, dare to be different.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

K.I.S.S. or you will lose their attention. You are marketing to lay persons not plumbers.

Mark

BTW: Good effort though
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X