Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much $

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: how much $

    Because you have nothing to hide. If your boss has never expressly said "no side work" or made you sign a non compete clause then reasonably speaking, you should be alright.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: how much $

      Originally posted by se215 View Post
      what is the best way to get more side jobs?

      i already do work for a couple investors that gut houses rehab them
      and rent them out(re-pipe from the basement up and all gas lines and sometimes heat work),i also do work steady side work for a couple bar and
      restaraunt owers,and family and friends(but usually dont charge them
      much if anything at all)
      i hand out business cards when ever i can

      is there anything else i can do to build up my clients
      advertising?
      Your side job customers will change when you go into business and must charge them realistic rates. Do yourself a favor and start inching up their rates now so when you make the switch they will not be stunned. If you don't, you are likely to find that those "regulars" quickly go away when they find out they will no longer receive your services for next to nothing.

      Try to answer this question before you make the switch and need to count on your side job customers for income: Are they using my services because they want to do business with me, or because I am the cheapest guy in town?
      Last edited by spodelee; 08-11-2008, 01:33 AM.
      spodelee

      Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: how much $

        One thing i learned about the drain biz is, no one is loyal no matter what. You could have customers for years, but god forbid you mess up once, or cant get to their job in under an hour, they will find someone real fast.

        Just treat your customers, even side job customers like every single one of them is your best customer. There are ways to satisfy everyone. Just be honest and fair, do not ever hide anything and keep them in every loop. They will love you for it.
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

        www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: how much $

          Originally posted by spodelee View Post
          Your side job customers will change when you go into business and must charge them realistic rates. Do yourself a favor and start inching up their rates now so when you make the switch they will not be stunned. If you don't, you are likely to find that those "regulars" quickly go away when they find out they will no longer receive your services for next to nothing.

          Try to answer this question before you make the switch and need to count on your side job customers for income: Are they using my services because they want to do business with me, or because I am the cheapest guy in town?
          This is great advice here. Definently follow this one.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: how much $

            If I was your boss and you told me you were moonlighting I'd let you go.

            When you do these "side jobs" how much cheaper is your labor cost than what your boss charges?

            It's unfair and dishonest for you to be building your business in competition with your employer while he is still paying you.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: how much $

              I agree......



              I've been getting a lot of customers trying to pay me in cash because they think I'll do it cheaper off the books.

              "It's the same price, cash or check, all spends the same."

              And I've had a few get a little perturbed with me because they couldn't hustle a few 20's off the bill as a result.

              Just don't call me back, it's that simple hoss. Get your good deals somewhere I aint.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: how much $

                I like that about our understanding between employee and employer out here.
                You get hired,understand what you need to do.Do it,get payed.

                Wether you moonlight or go out and get drunk,both drop productivity.Unless you become a liability.Who cares after you clock out.

                Smaller the town I could see a problem.Less work..Gossip Ville could put a guy out of business in no time.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: how much $

                  I also think your responsibilities are in direct proportion to the amount you should have saved to go out on your own. Completely by yourself $. Wife and kids $$$$$.

                  Also, how bad do you want it? How many hours are you willing to put in the first year? Are you willing to pull a hard 14 hours, fall asleep in the chair, put on the same pair of pants because you didn't wake up to do a wash, and put in another 14? Do it everyday as long as it takes? Work a month solid? The first year can be like that easily. If you answer yes to alot of these, then go for it. If not, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being employed by someone. Sometimes you can be alot happier that way.
                  Either way, good luck.

                  J.C.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: how much $

                    Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    If I was your boss and you told me you were moonlighting I'd let you go.

                    It's unfair and dishonest for you to be building your business in competition with your employer while he is still paying you.
                    A well grounded employer will not be threatened. Most likely they will wonder why you're moonlighting if they care about you.

                    What you do on your own time is your business. However, it is important to be ethical. Don't take your bosses customers, ever. Do not conduct any business related activities on the clock and that includes handing out cards.

                    When I hired in, I told the owner I did side work. I even handed him my card.
                    He told me that someday he would like to pay me enough so I would not have to work so much.

                    We even talk about some of the jobs I done and he lets me order/buy parts on his accounts. I trust him and he trusts me.
                    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: how much $

                      Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                      A well grounded employer will not be threatened. Most likely they will wonder why you're moonlighting if they care about you.

                      What you do on your own time is your business. However, it is important to be ethical. Don't take your bosses customers, ever. Do not conduct any business related activities on the clock and that includes handing out cards.

                      When I hired in, I told the owner I did side work. I even handed him my card.
                      He told me that someday he would like to pay me enough so I would not have to work so much.

                      We even talk about some of the jobs I done and he lets me order/buy parts on his accounts. I trust him and he trusts me.
                      Exactly!!
                      All the way down to using the larger contractors account.He likes it when a guy can put substancial purchases on his account.
                      What a lot of guys do out here is let employees buy material on their account and work off the balance hourly.Employee loves it,low prices on material plus I think there are some big tax advantages in there somewhere,but can't comment on that

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X