Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Work Vehicle Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Work Vehicle

    What's been the best work vehicle you've used? Things to think about:

    1) Fuel economy.
    2) Reliability.
    3) Manueverability.
    4) Room to carry everything.
    5) Maintenance.
    6) Cost.
    7) Whatever else you can think of that made it your favorite.

    J.C.

  • #2
    Re: Work Vehicle

    Box truck with a lawnmower engine.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Work Vehicle

      My current on....GMC 3500 extended van.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Work Vehicle

        what ever type of truck my boss gives me
        we have 25 ford E350 vans
        Charlie

        My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


        http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

        new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Work Vehicle

          for service work, 3500 chevy cargo vans are hard to beat. Although, I will probably take a hard look at the new euro style vans the next time we need a new one.
          spodelee

          Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Work Vehicle

            I like the E350 with a cut-away body. It is easy to organize and it is all locked up.

            Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Work Vehicle

              When I was contracting I choose a 3/4 ton pickup 4x4 with the replacement full tool box bed.Admittedly it was a gas hog but hauled near anything I needed to.I had used vans ,small pickups ,1/2 ton pickups,pretty much everything working for others before I contracted.I was so tired of getting stuck working with other peoples trucks I went with the 4x4.The vans I can see are nice for plumbers but I twisted wires and wanted the open space of a bed for stuff that didn't need covered.Every time I had a 1/2 ton working for people I found it dangerous to drive at times with the loads sometimes required.Vans I just didn't like to work out of nor drive on some of the roads here.I near always carried the huge extension ladder,short extension,8' ladder,4' ladder and sometimes a 6'.Kinda hard to get all that in or on a van and still get to stuff inside on a simple service call.I build racks that kept each ladder in its place and not laying in the bed.
              Really its personal preference tho on the vehicle and what your used to using.If I was doing it again now I'd probably go for an Isuzu truck maybe a van.I had an Isuzu NPR for years and it was much better then the pickup in ride quality and mpg and they are much bigger.That was for another biz tho.
              Sam

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Work Vehicle

                When I think of a work vehicle, the first thing that comes to my mind is cargo space. Cargo space affects how frustrated I get & how efficient I am.

                The second thing I think about is reliability. We have all had lemons in the past and know what a nightmare they become.

                The van I was given is a 04 Chevy 2500. It has the 4.8l engine which I feel is too weak especially with the A/C on.

                If I could purchase my own work vehicle it would be a Sprinter. They just appear to be ideally suited for service work. One of the best thinks about it is you can stand up inside. The bad thing about it is it's height, getting in driveways under trees etc.
                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Work Vehicle

                  Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                  The bad thing about it is it's height, getting in driveways under trees etc.
                  or burger king / McDonald's
                  Charlie

                  My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


                  http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

                  new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Work Vehicle

                    I have a 2007 Diesel Sprinter that I am EXTREMELY happy with. It has a 13 ft cargo bed, 72" interior height....needless to say I can fit 4 old water heaters in it while I still have their replacements in the back...ready to go. A common occurence if you don't wanna go to the scrap yard year EVERY day. Don't let the 3.0 liter diesel fool you either, it has PLENTY of torque...even though it's usually around 8,000 lbs loaded. SO far I'm getting around 16 mpg, which isn't bad considering the weight...and it will get somewhat better aroung 40,000 miles as most diesels do. I was originally gonna get a Chevy diesel with a KUV body....so glad I didn't.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Work Vehicle

                      Best one I can think of---
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Work Vehicle

                        Originally posted by vette850 View Post
                        I have a 2007 Diesel Sprinter that I am EXTREMELY happy with. It has a 13 ft cargo bed, 72" interior height....needless to say I can fit 4 old water heaters in it while I still have their replacements in the back...ready to go. A common occurence if you don't wanna go to the scrap yard year EVERY day. Don't let the 3.0 liter diesel fool you either, it has PLENTY of torque...even though it's usually around 8,000 lbs loaded. SO far I'm getting around 16 mpg, which isn't bad considering the weight...and it will get somewhat better aroung 40,000 miles as most diesels do. I was originally gonna get a Chevy diesel with a KUV body....so glad I didn't.
                        How do those Sprinters drive on somewhat of a windy day, driving down the highway?
                        YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

                        Plumbing Reviews

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Work Vehicle

                          Although my guys drove new vehicles, I drove the same Ford E 350 for 26 years. That's 4 timing chains, 6 water pumps 5 master cylinders 3 power boosters, 1 set of rebuilt heads and more transmissions and alternators than I can remember. Oh yea and everybody got new brakes once a year no matter what. Sometimes you just get comfortable with what your driving.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Work Vehicle

                            Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
                            Although my guys drove new vehicles, I drove the same Ford E 350 for 26 years. That's 4 timing chains, 6 water pumps 5 master cylinders 3 power boosters, 1 set of rebuilt heads and more transmissions and alternators than I can remember. Oh yea and everybody got new brakes once a year no matter what. Sometimes you just get comfortable with what your driving.
                            How many miles during that duration? I'm impressed. The maintenance must have been top notch.

                            Greg

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Work Vehicle

                              Surpisingly, the Sprinter handles very well....even in high wind. ( I drove it across the Sunshine Skyway down here in Tampa Bay on a windy day and it was fine) Obviously you will notice it slightly more then a normal height van, but oddly enough most of it is when you are at rest at a light and trucks are flying by you.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X