X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rate cut...

I just had a client tell me what my rate will now be. A 30% cut from what I charge per hour for repairs to locomotives. I had to bend over, or loose the work. It stinks, I always cut this company a break when I can, in fact I have invoiced them no charge when things did not get done when the circumstances were out of my control. Sorry, but I have to rant/vent......
    Steve.
    Last edited by Stevan Sweeney; 09-10-2008, 08:40 PM.

Re: Rate cut...

I don't know your situation but no ones tells me what I will charge them. Just make sure you that your not getting shafted

Comment

Originally posted by Stevan Sweeney View Post
      I just had a client tell me what my rate will now be. A 30% cut from what I charge per hour for repairs to locomotives. I had to bend over, or loose the work. It stinks, I always cut this company a break when I can, in fact I have invoiced them no charge when things did not get done when the circumstances were out of my control. Sorry, but I have to rant/vent......
      Steve.

Just for the record,

Train locomotives that transport materials over the rail system or

the scaled down models used in hobbying and the like.

Don't take offense as both of those would be rather quite difficult I'd say.

I've never heard of a self employed locomotive repair in my area given it is all in-house.

If you depend on this account for keeping a living, go with it until you find another source of income, then ditch it.

The paycut is one thing, but going into work knowing you just went into reverse, knowing you'll never gain that 30% over the next 10-15 years I could never do.

I'd rather cut myself loose from the profession than to let someone dictate their savings by my hard work being slashed.

Your profession is probably very specific, and finding someone to fit that bill would be really difficult.

If you can, show them how you stand up for yourself and not let others control your destiny.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

This sounds reminiscent of a thread GlKearns posted not long ago....

Comment

back in 1989 we were bidding a 544 unit apartment building. we were union and we were the only union shop bidding.

turns out the local union had voted for a special "stick" clause to make it more competitive in the housing market.

we took a $7.00 an hour pay cut

not bad if you were out of work, but for 18 months we worked for this wage.

the real kicker was that the union only allowed 3 guys outside their local to work and we had to hire the rest from their local.

so 27 guys from their local and 3 company guys on a 4 million contract.

in the end the company made money and the boss gave us 3 our full wages back

the local closed up and ours was the first and last job that ever did this wage scale

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

[quote=DUNBAR;173787]Just for the record,

Train locomotives that transport materials over the rail system or

the scaled down models used in hobbying and the like.

Your profession is probably very specific, and finding someone to fit that bill would be really difficult.

I do inspections, maintenance, and repairs on locomotives for several clients here in New Jersey. Many smaller railroads and industries rely on contractors to provide maintenance services, nationwide. Larger railroads are moving in this direction, getting service contracts directly from the OEM's. My rates are about 1/3 of my competition, also about 1/3 of what a plumber or electrician gets to perform residential service. My capabilities are limited, so my rates are fair. This client has seen an opportunity to take advantage of me, they account for a large percentage of my business and they know it. They have other options, excluding the competition, and I know it.
            I would rather be making sawdust anyway. Perhaps that is what I will do.....
            Last edited by Stevan Sweeney; 09-11-2008, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Thats a tough one...I have no idea what to tell you. That is a very personal decision. My only comment? When will the next rate cut be? Next year, next month???

Comment

Originally posted by Stevan Sweeney View Post
                I do inspections, maintenance, and repairs on locomotives for several clients here in New Jersey. Many smaller railroads and industries rely on contractors to provide maintenance services, nationwide. Larger railroads are moving in this direction, getting service contracts directly from the OEM's. My rates are about 1/3 of my competition, also about 1/3 of what a plumber or electrician gets to perform residential service. My capabilities are limited, so my rates are fair. This client has seen an opportunity to take advantage of me, they account for a large percentage of my business and they know it. They have other options, excluding the competition, and I know it.
                I would rather be making sawdust anyway. Perhaps that is what I will do.....
                If you really charge 1/3rd what we charge, you're better off with a f/t job that has bennies than working lower than that.

GlKearns had a thread where he told us he'd been asked to go down by his largest customer, he did the math and wouldn't be able to afford keeping his shop open at those rates.

He told them he couldn't, it turned out to be a bluff.

Either way, I say you have no choice...only you know what it takes to stay in business, but it sounds like you may have to drop them.

Comment

After I wrote this mornings rant, I realized that today is not a day for me to worry about my little troubles, rather to pay my respects to the victims and the families that suffered so much only seven short years ago today. And especially to the heroes of United flight 93, who saved countless others by giving their own lives.
                  Thank you all.
                  Steve Sweeney
                  Let' pick this thread back up tomorrow....

Comment

Working...
                  X