X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with a competitor

Ok, so I have a guy that is local who just started his own plumbing company. He used to be at another shop around here that is quite popular and well known.

I take care of 90% of their customers for drain cleaning and it works out very well. This guy left there knowing that all of the marketing pieces and phone books have his cell number on it. So he started his own company and takes calls from their customers and runs calls under his new company. He calls himself "The areas best service plumber" and will stop at nothing to get work even if it means he has to LIE.

Well, this guy does refer me occasionally for certain things but he does have a mainline rodder and a sink machine. He also just purchased a camera so he told me he won't be using me for that anymore. Every time I do something for him he asks me to inflate my price (by a lot) so he can make a buck too. This is fine, I have no problem taking care of someone for throwing me work but he tells the customer that I have a huge minimum charge when in fact I don't. He just wants his cut out of that up front.

He told me he got the camera so he can sell more "DIG" jobs because thats how he can make the big bucks. I know that he convinces people to dig up their yards when they don't really need to because I have inspected sewers where he has made this recommendation.

As most of you know, I use Service Magic to acquire leads. This has become very fruitful for me. Yesterday I get a lead call from them. As the automated message was explaining the details I heard a familiar name but didn't really think twice. Many people have the same name. So I call the customer back and who do I get on the other line? You guessed it.

He even answered the phone by his company name. His voice was shaky and he didn't know what to say. When I asked him what he was using Service Magic for, he actually said he needed work done in his own home?!?!?!?! I said ok how can I help, he said never mind I'll take care of it. After some awkward silence I said well if you don't need anything I have to get back to work.

Keep in mind, I have to pay for these leads even if I don't get the job. His bogus lead cost me $21.00

I called Service Magic and filed a complaint. I told them he has lied to them and that if he was looking onto being a member of their service they should think twice. They refunded the mony and said they will investigate the situation further.

I feel he is quite threatened by my company because i am so busy and he is slow going. He seems to always want info from me on my rates and pays close attention to what i am up to as far as marketing goes. He must have learned I am using SM and is jumping on the band wagon.

I am unsure how to deal with this guy now. I have lost respect for him after this last move. I am afraid to tell him I won't do work for him anymore for fear that he will bad mouth me around the area.

Can anyone give me some ideas about how to handle this situation? I'm am sure our next encounter will be uncomfortable. This guy is really pissing me off to say the least. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.
    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Re: Problem with a competitor

Welcome to competition. You no longer "work" together and must break the relationship. Nothing wrong with that. Just tell him you're not comfortable working with him anymore and good luck.

His badmouthing won't hurt you like you think. Probably hurt him more.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
      OI take care of 90% of their customers for drain cleaning and it works out very well. This guy left there knowing that all of the marketing pieces and phone books have his cell number on it.
      Not your fault, but whoever let an employee own the phone number that was on their marketing material made a big mistake. That phone number was one of the biggest assets the company had.

Comment

The guy shopped SM to see the competition? A$$clown...

Ignore him. And if you get wind he is bad mouthing your company, have your attorney call him. Defamation of character in business is very serious, especially in your area i.e. not the big city. Tradesman who badmouth others get no respect from the customer...most of them anyway. Like a big zit on chics face before prom, it hangs around, mingles with others of the same caliber. Guys like that are a part of life...except now the guy is messing with you and your family, and the food that goes in their mouths. Whatever you do, dont stoop to his level (bad mouthing that is). Good luck!

P.S. You never answered my last PM...well is she? LOL

Comment

Best think you can do is break away from him altogether and prove to customers that you are better by working hard and honest for them and by offering fair prices. He may be a problem for you now, but over time his number will not show up any more in those listings for his old company. And I also agree with the previous post... his badmouthing of you with more likely do damage to him than you.
          metal canopies | carports | metal carports

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
            I am unsure how to deal with this guy now. I have lost respect for him after this last move. I am afraid to tell him I won't do work for him anymore for fear that he will bad mouth me around the area.

Can anyone give me some ideas about how to handle this situation? I'm am sure our next encounter will be uncomfortable. This guy is really pissing me off to say the least. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.
            I don't believe in stirring up a hornets nest by telling him you won't work for him. Everytime he calls, tell him you would love to help (you would if was a decent person), but you can't because you are busy (plumbing, paperwork, listening to the radio). He can't badmouth you for being too busy. Eventually he will find someone else to tick-off. Plus, by doing work for him, your company adds valuable credibility to his company. If he has to turn jobs away due to not having the right equipment, you are helping this bad business man right out of business. Which sounds like you would be doing your community a favor.

Comment

Any update on this situation?

Comment

Working...
              X