Privilege License???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Privilege License???

Do you guys have to deal with this more and more? A "Privilege License" is nothing more than a tax that someone doesn't have the guts enough to call it that though in my opinion.

A nearby town that I do maybe 5 jobs a year in has instituted this for all inspected work. Last time I went there they said "You need a privilege license from upstairs. It's tied into the permit system now and we can't give you a permit until we see you have one." I go upstairs to get one. This lady tells me "This license is only good for about 28 days. We're going up on the price then and you'll have to get another one. That one will be good for a year." I get the "Privilege License" after asking her what privileges I'll be receiving and could I get in a list to keep with me. She doesn't know what to say but doesn't smile much.

Anyway, I haven't done any work there in probably 3 months. I just received a "BILL" in the mail from them with a PENALTY for not getting the current "Privilege License". I do not own property there and my business is not addressed there in any way. Pissed me off. I don't think it's legal either but I'll have to check.

Do you run into similar red-tape-dollar-you-to-death beauracracy also?

J.C.

Re: Privilege License???

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Do you run into similar red-tape-dollar-you-to-death beauracracy also?

J.C.
    Here?....NEVER!

If there wasn't a labyrinth of mazes and hoops to jump through it just wouldn't feel like the permit office.

Comment

we call it a city business license.

some cities require an annual license and others are on a job by job basis.

they are based on either the job cost or the annual gross within the city.

i prefer the job by job license as some cities i do very little work in and i only pay when i do a permit job. not a service call type job.

there is 1 local small, city that not only enforces this, but they have the most intersection cameras of any city and they also enforce the weight limits on their streets.

i think i will impose a city service fee just for working in their city.

i have another plumber friend that got a $6,000 ticket for driving in a residential street. and he is 2,000# lighter than me

all the cities have these weight limits, but they seem to be the only ones that enforces them.

can anyone guess this city?

i'll give you a hint. they call it the "the heart of screen land"

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

The problem I have with it is that this city assumes I am working there. So rather than me going to get a "Privilege License" (which I would be forced to do because it's tied to the permitting system) they are just treating it like a bill that I OWE and have put a penalty on it already even though I have NOT received any notice or billing of such license prior to the bill with late fee.

What if I went out of business? They would keep sending BILLS with LATE FEES! This system is assuming that I owe them money and doesn't seem right.

J.C.

Comment

i'm sure if you write or go there and tell them that you're not working in their city, they will not continue billing you.

that's why i like the job by job license.

the annual license has a check box if you don't plan on working in thier city.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            i'm sure if you write or go there and tell them that you're not working in their city, they will not continue billing you.

that's why i like the job by job license.

the annual license has a check box if you don't plan on working in thier city.

rick.
            I'll try to quit my little rant about it. But in this city, they are extremely customer unfriendly. Almost like they are working against you rather than with you to come up with the best solution for everyone.

I don't have as much trouble as others getting permits, but this is another of those I deal with that will not give a time for anything. Not even a window. So if you finish your sewer installation at 11:00a.m.-they can and have arrived at 3:30p.m. for inspection. So you have to babysit your installation for 4+hours to make sure everything is safe. Been through it many times.

Makes you admire Devine.

J.C.

Comment

There are certain parts of DC where you can't park a commercial vehicle without a special parking permit. It is only good for 1 day. No multiple day permit. Only good for the city block where the address is. If there is no parking available on that block and have to park one street over it's a $250 ticket and TOW! I'm guessing that money goes directly to Homeland Security.

There are no signs indicating a No Commercial zone. No mapping that I know of shows this either. The only way you know whether you are in the zone is when you get a ticket.

We do a lot of site utilities work so I keep a stack of Temporary No Parking signs in my van

Comment

I have to toss Kudo's to my state for it's long standing history of doing the right thing.

I recently filed for a permit, they told me I was going to have to go to another office to get the permit cleared by the town tax assesor.

I asked why at that office, they told me it was to ensure there were no outstanding liens on the house from other tradesmen.

Apparently this is going to be standard policy in every town here.

My state has ONE code, no exceptions, no seperate jurisdictions.

One thing I DON't like...each town has different permit fee's.

I've paid $40 to remodel a bath in one town, then $75 to replace an oil W/H with a gas in another.

Comment

Working...
                X