1980 21% interist rate , HARD TIMES

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 21% interist rate , HARD TIMES

I was there! Inflation 13.5 %, Unemployment 7%. our President was Jimmy Carter. GOOD tradesman couldn't get work. I was building $30,000 homes on Cape Cod,leading up to this.
    Had a beautiful new home, mortgage $180.00 a month, 2 months behind. Started scrapping steel . #1 iron $180 per ton. Nothing was safe from Me, Would hit the town dump after closing,with torches! Also curves on rail road tracks wear out fast. Old rails [ 33ft.]
    are always left in the sand. PAYDAY. WOOPS busted by cops! Railroad Says " tell the Kid to scrap them, We don't care" Thank You lord! I feel the tradesman doing service work will
    survive what's ahead,better than the NEW HOME GUYS. At least morfe in early,rather than later!
    Think I'll start walking the tracks again ! Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: 1980 21% interist rate , HARD TIMES

Think I'll start walking the tracks again ! Tool[/QUOTE]

Not if I get there first

Comment

That was the abandoned spur into otis, Falmouth side. There was a train wreck in N.H. at this time. One mile of tracks torn up. My friend was scrapping at nite with torches and a 4x4 jeep truck. Two times the R.R. detectives almost caught Him! THIRD THEY DID !!. Court day they met Him in the lobby. Said "why don't You just scrap legally from us?" Case dropped!
      New Buss. with Boston And Maine. Hey I have A friend Named DUNBAR Up the road from You! Maybe We can do A little Buss.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
        Think I'll start walking the tracks again ! Tool

Not if I get there first
        I lived in Ply a few years back...when homes were going up so fast the town was limiting permits.

Worked a few homes at Pine Hills & Clarke Estates...I certainly don't miss the repetitive new residential stuff.

Comment

The Pine Hills is an over priced dump that took my good hunting spots. I know a bunch of guys that did the excavating over there, cookie cutter houses at there finest.
          Behind my house are the old Ocean Spray, and rope factory train tracks from 50-100 years ago I been thinkin' of grabbin(don't worry the new T lines arn't even close).

Comment

The Pine Hills is an over priced dump that took my good hunting spots. I know a bunch of guys that did the excavating over there, cookie cutter houses at there finest.
            Behind my house are the old Ocean Spray, and rope factory train tracks from 50-100 years ago I been thinkin' of grabbin(don't worry the new T lines arn't even close).
            Geesh, yer in the "big city"...downtown, I was off fed furnace not far from Wareham...nice n quiet till the Ellishaven drunks show up.

Comment

I grew up out in the woods off Bourne road, just moved to "the big city" 2 years ago.

Comment

Maple park, Paul Tucy. Tusy bros florist across from the canal. Paul was My cousin.
                Charlie and Clate My uncles. Remember Gene at cape way welding? They widenend the canal in 1935. My uncles hauled out the fill in there dump trucks. I'm 65 Yrs. Also was a cert welder with Local 34 Pile drivers union Oakland Ca.

Comment

I grew up out in the woods off Bourne road, just moved to "the big city" 2 years ago.
                  Whats funny is that we mighta known eachother..I miss America's home town sometimes.
                  My bro-in-law is a musician...did a lot of gigs in town & on the water front, Berts for starters.

Comment

Stan and Bruce gibbs,Jeff draper??????? Small world Miss those CLAM ROLLS

Comment

My buddy Shorty owned Berts for a few years, Stan Gibbs of Gibbs plugs fame down on Sagamore beach. Yup it is a small world.

Comment

Working...
                      X