X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving and Establishing In A New City

I am just starting out my business so it isn't that hard to move compared to someone else that might of been in business for 5+ years and wanting to move, but I'm wondering if there is a way to see how the market is in a new area.

In other words, is there like a formula or something (population divided by how many plumbers or drain cleaners service a certain area) to figure out if there is a market for a new company?

Any help or tips would be very much appreciated
    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Re: Moving and Establishing In A New City

You thinking of moving?

Comment

Yeah. I would be moving about only about 60 miles, but I would be pretty far from the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area that I'm close to now.
      YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Yup, the first criteria is - does it get below MINUS 35 FRICKING DEGRESS in the winter!
        You need to come below the Mason/Dixon line. It's balmy.

What type of plumbing do you do?
        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
          Yup, the first criteria is - does it get below MINUS 35 FRICKING DEGRESS in the winter!
          You need to come below the Mason/Dixon line. It's balmy.

What type of plumbing do you do?
          LOL! Yeah. It would be so nice to do plumbing work where the temperature stays above 30 degrees year round. I don't mind the heat really. In Minnesota, we've had some hot summers with high humidity. Not lately, though.

I am starting to steer towards being just a drain cleaner, but once I get my Master's License, then I'll start doing my own plumbing work, mainly service work for residential areas. I don't want to do really big jobs, though. But who knows. Maybe my tune will change in the future.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
            LOL! Yeah. It would be so nice to do plumbing work where the temperature stays above 30 degrees year round. I don't mind the heat really. In Minnesota, we've had some hot summers with high humidity. Not lately, though.
            I am starting to steer towards being just a drain cleaner, but once I get my Master's License, then I'll start doing my own plumbing work, mainly service work for residential areas. I don't want to do really big jobs, though. But who knows. Maybe my tune will change in the future.
            These days you may want to take what comes your way, especially just starting out. As your business grows you can pick and choose more of what you would rather do. Good luck!

Comment

I have the same questions/concerns. My wife and I are looking to start our own small company in about 1 and 1/2 years, should have my Master Lic in a little more than 1 year from now. We are concerned with how you know (not sure anything is sure thing)....that the calls/business will come in? All the plumbers in our area seem steady, sometimes cannot keep up. So hopefully it shouldn't be an issue, is this one of those "jump into the deep end" things in life?

I have heard to put my add in the phone book 6 months before I plan on starting my company so it will come out in the next edition, not 6 months after I start my business.

Thanks for any suggestions/advice along the way.
              Gus
              M40607

Comment

Working...
              X