X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting a new business

I'm a little over 1 year from starting my first business and I am full of questions.

Do you always put an add in the phone book? If you do use the phone book is there a time to put it in (grace period)? Do you only go by word of mouth to start out with?

Do you have business cards? Can you suggest a good online company for making them?

When you start out do you charge the "going rate" or do you go a little lower to encourage business?

If you do start out lower then do you slowly raise your price if you get to busy?

How do you get insurance? Personal? Business? Family? Currently the plumbing company I work for has health insurance that they help pay, it's a group thing. How do you go about getting your own (for me my wife and son)?

Do you accept credit card payments? Is that something you should do starting out?

Are there any self help books you would suggest for running a business (keeping the books, etc).

Do you use an accountant, if so how do you contact/find a good one?

I plan on running my own company, small repair company. By small I mean me, my wife and maybe 1 helper. I want to be able to support my family and have my wife be able to stay at home with the kid(s). This IS possible right ??? We live on a tight budget now and plan to do the same so hopefully ya'll will tell me it is.

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions/advice you can pass along. I'm nervous but excited. I'm ready for myself.

Thanks,
    Gus
    Gus
    M40607

Re: starting a new business

some good advise

continue reading and posting here. there is more info here for plumbing that anywhere else. plus it's free and for the most, friendly

you need to start networking with people to let them know you're a plumber. good referrals are the best form of advertising and it cost nothing.

stick around and listen, learn and contribute. nothing to lose

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Gigger,
      Have you tried using the search engine here yet?
      Like Rick said Way more info than a guy needs to get up and running.Lots of Guys have gotten off the ground since I've been here.

Comment

Originally posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
        I'm a little over 1 year from starting my first business and I am full of questions.

Do you always put an add in the phone book?

A small one, make it stand out using "different" phrases not seen as common in plumbing

If you do use the phone book is there a time to put it in (grace period)?

Phone book usually sets those time parameters so you can't do much about that....just don't go gun ho and spend a lot in one place, diversify

Do you only go by word of mouth to start out with?

You'll have long waits between calls that way...build a huge mix across the board

Do you have business cards?

Of course

Can you suggest a good online company for making them?

www.VistaPrint.com

When you start out do you charge the "going rate" or do you go a little lower to encourage business?

Go higher like you've been in business for years...no one knows you just started

If you do start out lower then do you slowly raise your price if you get to busy?

Read above statement

How do you get insurance?

Spending a lot of money, start with minimums Personal? Business? At least 2 million Family? That's a decision based on your feelings

Currently the plumbing company I work for has health insurance that they help pay, it's a group thing. How do you go about getting your own (for me my wife and son)?

You need to be making a good lick before incorporating that into the mix, years off most likely

Do you accept credit card payments?

Absolutely and I was slow to do this...would you give someone a twenty to make a hundred?

Is that something you should do starting out?

Yes, I wish I did as I said no many times which cost me in sales

Are there any self help books you would suggest for running a business (keeping the books, etc).

Just join many plumbing forums where business discussions are had

Do you use an accountant, if so how do you contact/find a good one?

Yes, absolutely. Can't afford a mistake where a 3 should of been a 6, and you find out years later and now your ****ed! Check locally with family and friends. Find a good one as they can make life so much easier.

I plan on running my own company, small repair company. By small I mean me, my wife and maybe 1 helper. I want to be able to support my family and have my wife be able to stay at home with the kid(s). This IS possible right ??? We live on a tight budget now and plan to do the same so hopefully ya'll will tell me it is.

Forget the wife and helper, do it on a one man band operation. Have the wife work and keep insurance on you and the kid. The cost it will be for insurance through her work will far exceed in cost savings.

Do everything for yourself as you'll find out soon enough that the numbers don't jive hiring everyone and everybody. It won't come easy.

Prepare because in the big world of business, the facts don't lie; 90% of all businesses fail, there's no two ways around that statement. Optimism and reality are two whole different things.

You absolutely need two incomes in your idea to get this biz off the ground.

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions/advice you can pass along. I'm nervous but excited. I'm ready for myself.

Thanks,
        Gus

Good luck with your endeavor...there will be times where you're working for nothing. Just remember that it's part of the game and more will follow...it just takes years to solidify a company, not months.
        Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-20-2008, 11:30 PM.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Dunbar's advice was right on the money. I second all that he said.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Just had an idea....

If you have a MySpace or Facebook page, you could find people in your area and just ask to be their friend. I believe you can search for age and location, so you aren't asking 16 year olds to be your friend LOL!

When you ask to be their friend, you can send them a message telling them a little about yourself and that you do plumbing work. It might sound like spam, but if you word it right, then you might be able to work around this and get some customers.

Just a thought.
            YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Working...
            X