X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodge Truck WiFi

Dodge will start to promote WiFi in their truck line more. I didn't even know it was offered. Might be good for alot that use the laptop at work.

J.C.

Re: Dodge Truck WiFi

Seems to me that you would be better off with a cellular broadband card from Verizon, Sprint, etc. and a EVDO Router. More flexible and portable (move to different vehicles, office, jobsite, etc). In my truck I have a Verizon card connected to a Cradlepoint CTR500 Router. This device combination provides WIFI to any computer in or near my vehicle (I do have security set to limit who can connect). I simply sit my laptop in the truck and it is connected via WIFI through the router to the Verizon network. In addition, if my office internet goes down I can simply move the router inside and connect to the internet via that until the main internet connection comes back up. You can learn more about the router as well as get great pricing and support at 3gstore.com.

Charles

Comment

I know you're in the IT business so you know what you're talking about but....

I kind of like it being built into the truck right from the factory.

J.C.

Comment

Yeah I am wondering if the antenna being built in might give you better coverage as well.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I don't like the bailout but I do like ideas such as this to increase their market share hopefully.

J.C.

Comment

JC, I actually thought it was a very cool idea to build it in; but ckelsoe makes a great point. You are going to be locked in to whatever service Dodge decides to use, even if it gets crappy reception in your area. If you have a cell provider like he says you can choose and there is no lock in. Whenever I hear On-Star commercials and the $20 a month price tag, I say something like "Why the hell would I want to pay that, I could get a cell phone for 1/2 the cost."

Comment

Even if Dodge came with a Japanese woman giving me a Shiatsu massage after every service call, I still wouldn't buy one

I learned my lesson years ago with their trucks

"get the hell out of Dodge"

Comment

Whats WiFi?

Comment

"Why the hell would I want to pay that, I could get a cell phone for 1/2 the cost."
                  True, you can get a cell for half that price, but when you spin off the road into a ditch and are injured or get T-boned by another car and are unconscious will your cell make a call to OnStar service or to a 911 center for you?

That's a nice selling feature of the OnStar system, but I think it is overpriced. I might be tempted for $4.99/month or for $49/year, but not $20/m, and OnStar is not enough of a reason to influence a purchase decision between another make vehicle and a GM product.

I guess it would not be difficult to actually do this with BlueTooth built into the vehicle. The onboard computer could be synced up with your phone and then do everything that OnStar does for a few dollars per month or included with some package offered by the cell provider. Vehicle manufacturers might offer this as a selling feature, first year of service free with purchase of new vehicle.

Detroit are you listening??? ...of course not...that's why you are where you are today, most of you don't have a clue.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                    Whats WiFi?
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiFi
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      Detroit are you listening??? ...of course not...that's why you are where you are today, most of you don't have a clue.
                      Don't let them up now Bob, kick 'em again

Comment

True, you can get a cell for half that price, but when you spin off the road into a ditch and are injured or get T-boned by another car and are unconscious will your cell make a call to OnStar service or to a 911 center for you?

That's a nice selling feature of the OnStar system, but I think it is overpriced. I might be tempted for $4.99/month or for $49/year, but not $20/m, and OnStar is not enough of a reason to influence a purchase decision between another make vehicle and a GM product.
                        You're right if it was $4.99 a month I could go for it, but not at $240 a year (or another $2400 for the life of the vehicle, if you think about it OnStar might be the only thing GM has a chance of making money on). Also I'm in an area where there is plenty of traffic all the time, and everyone (but me) has a cell phone; so I probably won't be in a ditch long before someone calls 911.

Comment

Comment

I see the service connection is offered by a company called Autonet Mobile. I don't know if that's an OnStar company, but it seems separate. The fee is kinda steep.

Originally posted by Dodge-Nitro.com
                            Mopar uconnect web install module. P/N 82211856. MSRP $499.00 (2008-2009 Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep vehicles)

-- Uconnect web 1-year subscription. P/N 82211918 MSRP $383.00

-- Uconnect web 2-year subscription. P/N 82211919 MSRP $731.00

-- Uconnect web 3-year subscription. P/N 82211857 MSRP $1079.00

Activation can be via fax with the included service agreement card (415-840-1725) or enroll online at Autonet Mobile
                            The 1-year is roughly 31.92/mo, which is a bit more than plans from Sprint, Verizon, AT&T/Cingular. It's curious and kinda nifty, but I think a DIY install could be done with your provider of choice and some hardware. I might consider this for the vehicles at some point, but I'd want something that could travel from vehicle to vehicle. It looks like the aftermarket solutions give you that ability, so I might think about that.

Funny thing, I did a google search for "Dodge Truck Wifi" and the second link was to this thread!!
                            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

My understanding is this thing will do much more than an OnStar type setup. It is suppose to turn your truck into a WiFi hot spot with up to a 100' range.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X