Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Successful yellow pages print ad? Anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Successful yellow pages print ad? Anyone?

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post

It's been about six weeks since they started distributing the new At&t Yellow
    It takes at least 3 months for a new ad to start working. People have to throw the old book out, etc.

Yellow pages really do work, when the ad is professionally done and yours looks good. Ads are a mystery to the biggest multi-national companies and to the neighborhood rooter man....it's all part of business.

My yellow page ads run about 700.00/month. I've got other ads running for about 1500.00/month, but those are monthly contracts I can cancel at any time. I spend a minimum of 2200.00/month on all my ads.

I've run some turkey campaigns, but its all good...its all part of business.
    (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

I wouldn't bother with phone books UNLESS you live in a town where DSL is the fastest form of internet.

If you have cable modems in your area the phone book will be a waste.

Just "my" opinion and I am probably wrong

Comment

New issue arrived today.

Fingers crossed.
        I did some minimal research on your town and it don't look good. Negative population growth is a bad sign...

Stay with that ad size. Next year, offer "the best prices in town" and "discounts to Crackheads" type of thing.

Good luck on that anal thing.
        (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
          It takes at least 3 months for a new ad to start working. People have to throw the old book out, etc.

Yellow pages really do work, when the ad is professionally done and yours looks good. Ads are a mystery to the biggest multi-national companies and to the neighborhood rooter man....it's all part of business.

My yellow page ads run about 700.00/month. I've got other ads running for about 1500.00/month, but those are monthly contracts I can cancel at any time. I spend a minimum of 2200.00/month on all my ads.

I've run some turkey campaigns, but its all good...its all part of business.
          Wow, good news finally from someone.

I've been in the book for 3 years with smaller sizes. I'm keeping track and will report regularly over this contract year.

As for the negative population growth, there's enough to go around. My business has been profitable since my first year in 2006, no thanks to the yellow pages. Almost all new customers come from customer and plumber referrals, newspaper ad, BBB affiliation, & truck signage. Yellow pages has been a dud so far for me in this area, but we'll see.

I'm happy to hear its working for someone.

Thanks.

Comment

I sent a notice of non renewal by certified mail return receipt (because i don't trust them) and my account was canceled 03/31/2010.

I was paying 986.00 per month and getting and an average return of $500 per month.

I have $4,000 left on my contract, then I'm done.

Good Riddance AT&T Advertising & Publishing, The Real Yellow Pages, and Yellowpages.com.

I'm sticking with what works, referrals, internet, & newspaper.
            Good luck to all who gamble with yellow pages.

Comment

again it depends on your market. in mine, a small island in the Caribbean with a full time population of 55,000, my 2.5x2.5 cost me around $2,250. it had already paid for itself in March. 14 one hour jobs would heve paid for my year in the YP.

in a large market with multiple books i can see it being different. forget YP.com. CL doesn't even exist here. if someone has a blockage they reacgh for the YP most of the time. i also have a TV ad that i run occasionally to keep the name in the public's mind

i'll put fliers in the hardware stores, rental houses, mom & pop windows. whatever it takes to keep my name out there.

i also use this on all fliers & most of my ads & shirts
              If yur drains dont!!
              If your flushes wont!!
              If you water just backs up!!
              Don't call a plumber
              Call SewerSnake
              WE'LL GET YOUR WATER FLOWING

advertising is, IMHO, an evil necessity whatever form you use

steve
              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I'm in contact with a local tv station about trying tv advertising, I'm weary about it unless I can get a catchy commercial that will stick in peoples minds.

There was a local seafood restaurant that advertised here in the 70's and 80's that people remember to this day. They had a great commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V651zArqPRQ

I'm happy to hear your yp ad works.

They would have to give me 50% off for me to break even. I had to get out.

Comment

i'm spending $4,900 a month for mine in 2 books. i have yet to get a customer from mine. all price shoppers. had 5 more today. they all wanted to know if i can beat the last guys price of $50. and no i can't. i'm about to take all my drain stuff (over $30,000 out of the van and just put it away till i get a real call. it would save me 3 miles to the gal. on the service side i'm doing good for the moment. drain side it stinks....... so far all my drain calls, the few that i get, are from repeat customers that have had us before.
                  the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

4,900, holy moses, sorry dude, sorry

Comment

I sent a notice of non renewal by certified mail return receipt (because i don't trust them) and my account was canceled 03/31/2010.

I was paying 986.00 per month and getting and an average return of $500 per month.

I have $4,000 left on my contract, then I'm done.

Good Riddance AT&T Advertising & Publishing, The Real Yellow Pages, and Yellowpages.com.

I'm sticking with what works, referrals, internet, & newspaper.
                      Good luck to all who gamble with yellow pages.

This thread was a great read. I did like the new ad and I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I think I'm going to start doing my own survey to see where all my calls originate from.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                        This thread was a great read. I did like the new ad and I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I think I'm going to start doing my own survey to see where all my calls originate from.
                        I just renewed my Yellow pages. Kind of wish I down sized. Been tracking where my calls have been coming from. Not using their methods of tracking but the old school way of asking the customer and log it on the invoice. 90% are referral's 8% repeat 2% yellow pages
                        Rod
                        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                        http://unclognh.com
                        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I thought I was done with this thread. I'm sorry to beat a dead horse, but this horse deserves it.

New book just came out without me in it

Noticed something interesting.

The book is getting lighter.

2008 - 2009 = 1003 pages
                          2009 - 2010 = 917 pages
                          2010 - 2011 = 747 pages

Recession? or Business owners catching on to the scam?

Notice this in your area?

Either way I'm happy to be free.

Comment

I think you are on to some thing ! I have seen the same thing.

Comment

Unlike most of you out there, I am the ONLY plumber in the yellow pages up here, you got to love small towns.
                              The Other Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X