X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promoting your Company Via Internet

I'm on my way out the door and will follow up with this later, but this morning I landed 3 service calls just by Gooooooogle search engine inquiry.

Peppered the calls out over the next couple days/week and none were emergency.

Anyone that has seen my website, it's lackluster to say the least, but it's driving home simplicity and gives the potential buyer plenty of fodder with the numerous picture albums I have linked out on my site.

I just added 13 pictures to my tub/shower faucet album where in fact a local repeat customer and I discussed about doing a 3 handle to single handle conversion in his bathroom.

I rebuilt this 3 handle faucet 3 years ago, him and his family got tired of messing with the faucet leaking and what not. So before he called me, he went to my website, searched out that specific category to see how many jobs I did since we'd talked about it and sure enough,

That job earned me $550, not including $550 for the same type of rework on another job for a repeat customer, same exact scenario where I rebuilt a 3 handle, advised the customer that "eventually you'll switch this valve out to rid yourself of the headaches" and there's only so many times you can put new wheels and tires, paint on a 72 ford pinto and expect it to be anything more....than a 72 ford pinto.

It's salesmanship I agree, but it's having a reference to what you say that matters.

My picture albums have solidified so many sales calls that I can't even put a price on it. It's nearing $100,000.00 over the past 6 years as I've insisted in their home that they go and view the website for information.

My high water pressure link, along with my thermal expansion link, my picture album for tub/shower valve replacements and my battery backup sump pump images throttle the most of my call to commit sales.

I never spent any money on search engine status. Just been on the internet for years now and it doesn't matter how fancy your site is, it's all in how you write your meta-tags, source info and doing changeups so the search engines catch it.

I'd hate to lose this popularity on the internet because at this point it's one of my best advertising machines, and I heavily push the website in all of my signage and sponsorship material.

I truly believe it's the number of years is why it's so high on the totem pole.

I didn't come here to advertise but you can find my website by keywording northern kentucky plumbers in any search engine and find my company.

That's my region and that's the areas I cover, easy peazy japaneazy! Oops I sneazy!
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Promoting your Company Via Internet

in our market it just doesn't make sense to count on internet advertising unless it's a tourist related business such as dive shops, hotels, tour operators, cetrtain retail venues, etc.

i can see the positive side in a medium large to large market. good luck with it. any little bit has got to help

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Really, do you notice when you do work at a customer's home, if they have computer access or talk about something they did, internet wise?

I've baited my customers before to go to my site for coupons but I haven't pushed that as of late.

I'm thinking of taking this a step farther and building another Vbulletin forum for my plumbing biz, just because no other plumbing company in my area has one, just so I can create a draw and hammer that website into people's heads. I don't have time for this, but the idea sounds great!

Comment

yes, most homes have computers but in this market (and market mentality) most everyone still uses the newspaper, phone book, word of mouth, and lately tv ads.

my biggest ad positive is one with a dotted border that says "clip and save". a good 30% of the (west indian compared to continental) homes have this on the fridge. most cntinentals go tho the phone book. my slogan "We'll get your water flowing" is a huge selling point.

in an "oh $hit" situation most are not going to their computer to look up a drain cleaner/plumber. phone book or a recent newspaper ad is where they turn. that and referals from plumbers.

again market size and mentality

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Same for me. Internet advertising just doesn't work at all for what I do in this area.
          I do emergency plumbing, so people aren't just browsing the internet when they call me and sh!t is flowing into their basement. Also, most of my clients are older, so they are not quite into the whole internet thng as much. I get a huge response from the phonebook ads I run. I get zilch form the internet, and I have a website, search engines, and all the good stuff. It just doesn't pay off in my niche market.
          Next year I am dropping virtually all internet ads. I'll just keep a basic website up, but thats it. Internet has been a waste of money for me.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
            in an "oh $hit" situation most are not going to their computer to look up a drain cleaner/plumber. phone book or a recent newspaper ad is where they turn. that and referals from plumbers.

again market size and mentality
            Just as a counter point. I know that in an Oh **** situation, I don't have a phone book and even if I did I would probably hit up Google or Service magic. I also don't have a newspaper. I think there are a lot of other people like me here.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
              Just as a counter point. I know that in an Oh **** situation, I don't have a phone book and even if I did I would probably hit up Google or Service magic. I also don't have a newspaper. I think there are a lot of other people like me here.
              No offense, but you are not the type of client that I am looking for, and you are in a completely different area of the country. People here use the phonebook. I get about 40-50 calls/month through the phonebook. I get about 1 call every 2 months through the internet. I tried servicemagic and it sucked. All the cheapskate bargain-hunters use it and thats about it here.

Comment

i don't advertise at all

but there is a website from a water heater manufacturer that list my name and #. it's a free thing to show the certified installers.

i get 1 or 2 calls a month from people looking for warranty work

not interested, tell them to call the person who installed it.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                  if you lived in this market you would come up hind tit and be swimming in feces. everyone has and uses the phone book, reads the newspaper (and looks at ads), and will call a friend to find a service person. it's the way it is here. small market in the caribbean

steve

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                    if you lived in this market you would come up hind tit and be swimming in feces. everyone has and uses the phone book, reads the newspaper (and looks at ads), and will call a friend to find a service person. it's the way it is here. small market in the caribbean

steve
                    I am in a semi-rural area steve. So I know exactly what you mean. I think the internet would be good if we were in a large city, but our markets are very different.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      i don't advertise at all
                      again a major/affluent market. plus you have years of background in the same area. word of mouth in L.A is as important as word of mouth on St. Croix. my market is only about 50,000 full time.and probably 55,000 when the snowbirds come back.

as they say, "your mileage may vary"

steve

Comment

Wow, I pass out on my toilet for an hour and come back to all these replies! Cool!

I was told when I started my new company years ago that I was "unusual" to do email and have a website, but I'm amazed at the responses so far.

I've been getting internet hits for quite some time, just more lately than before. If I start a forum as part of my plumbing site, I'll be the first one to rolodex information for the prospective customer to hunt around looking for answers. Google/Yahoo/Ask Jeeves and a whole host of other internet search crawlers do the rest of the work for you.

It's just that my website is such a resourceful tool for my customers. Just today I had someone call and ask where my water heater draining link was so they could print it off.

The High Pressure/Thermal Expansion Link has made me thousands of dollars once people have decided to quit riding the fence on whether they should or shouldn't have the work done.

Never underestimate the internet though; it's brought us all together here from numerous states/countries sharing information and ideas....to which otherwise to communicate years prior (before internet) would of been unheard of.

But by far and wide, I feel I need to keep pushing this mode of thinking because it's making money.

When I searched on DogPile.com? There was 2 pages of returns and near the end of page 2 was a link to a Craigslist ad I just posted less than 24 hours, showing my link to my website. That is pretty amazing.

Comment

I find all aspects of marketing interesting. Maybe I need to hire Dunbar to help me do my internet marketing? I am always open to new ideas, it just seems I am already pouring more money and time into the 'net than I want to, and it is producing jack-****! I know I am probably going about it all wrong, so I am open to new ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                            I find all aspects of marketing interesting. Maybe I need to hire Dunbar to help me do my internet marketing? I am always open to new ideas, it just seems I am already pouring more money and time into the 'net than I want to, and it is producing jack-****! I know I am probably going about it all wrong, so I am open to new ideas.
                            I stopped all print . Lead to 0. I do only internet and get 5-6 calls a week and do 99% unless I don't have what they are looking for or are to busy to do the call.

The only cost for my internet marketing is $9.99 a month for hosting my website and my wife's occassional pizza hut date She built the whole site.
                            Last edited by westcoastplumber; 12-16-2008, 11:42 AM.
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

We don't have a website but I have been asking the boss to let me get one going. He is really resistant to the idea of a website.

I have a few customers ask me what our website is and I tell them we don't have one. They just give me this dumb look. Funny thing is, all the customers that have asked for it, have been people that are very wealthy.
                              Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Working...
                              X