64.29%
    What are you? Freakin nuts?
    10.71%
    Who made you Santa Clause?
    3.57%
    You have sniffed too much glue.
    10.71%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Tyman; 02-22-2010, 06:13 PM.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: Ethical question

I think you should tell the your employer.

If he agrees with you then he might tell you to do it on your own time for free.

If he doesn't then maybe he'll work something out with him through his company.

Then you've done the best you could by all parties without a breach of ethics.

Be careful of those that "seem" needy. The next week they could be driving a new Lexus.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      I think you should tell the your employer.

If he agrees with you then he might tell you to do it on your own time for free.

If he doesn't then maybe he'll work something out with him through his company.

Then you've done the best you could by all parties without a breach of ethics.

Be careful of those that "seem" needy. The next week they could be driving a new Lexus.

J.C.

I second JC's approach on this one.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Does the Hot water heater need replacing or is he jsut worried about it?
        If it doesn't need replacing at this time then talk him out of it,

As far as side work.
        What is the company policy or (if your union, what is it policy),

Do you have the tools to do it with out the bosses tools? If you need the boss tools then he should get a cut at the minimum, or the job, IMO.

If you put it in is there Liability, or insurance, concerns,
        are you current licenced to cover you, working on your own?

If you do it for free and use your own tools, and he is willing to take the responsibility of the liability as a homeowner DIY, and you help him, or look it over before start up, I would say that is your call.

One way to potentially do, and to do with a clear conscience is to talk to the company (boss or owner) and see if he would gives you the go ahead or says NO side work.

when I had employee's I let them work on the side (even using the company's tools if need) if it did not interfere with the work I had going on at the time, (there were even a few jobs that come in that I did not want to take on and the employee did and so I let them do that job on there own time),
        Last edited by BHD; 12-26-2008, 08:38 PM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

just exactly what they said. put yourself in your bosses shoes.

G3

Comment

One word: LIABILITY. If that water heater leaks and does $10,000 in damge to the house, who installed it? did they pull a permit? Are they licensed and insured? Or was it that side-job bob character?...maybe we should sue him.

Side-work is risky because you are not following the number one rule in contracting...Cover.Your.A$$. If you do it under your boss's company, then its his license and insurance on the line, as it should be.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

JCs is right on target, the fact that this guy asked you to do something unethical after you have treated him properly tells you a little about him. As an employer I took good care of my guys and I often gave them some pretty big ticket items for family only. What I asked in return was their loyalty and honesty.

Comment

Tell him to go to his local church, and as a community ask them to share the expense of getting hot water for his family.

I bet you'll never hear from him again after that.

Catch my drift on this one?

Did he come straight out and say free?
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I really hope you don't fall for this Tyman. Anybody that would ask you to do it on the side, after calling your company and asking for you is an unethical .
                  Don't listen to his sob stories. If you worked for me and I found out you installed a water heater for a customer of mine without my knowledge, I would fire you in a heartbeat...goodbye dude, have fun on the unemployment line. This guy is asking you to risk your job to help him out...screw that!!!

Comment

now some say liability now if you were to help a friend replace his for free then your friend takes all liability
                    no mark may be able to shed some light on this ,that if you are helping some one fix some thing and they are helping you and you take no pay for it they cant blame you
                    now if you need a permit for this and need to be a licensed plumber [ so places you do not ] then i would tell your boss about it
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Hey, maybe to save some bucks, I'll call the service station that is supposed to install my new transmission and I'll ask to speak to the transmission mechanic on the phone, and I'll ask to him to so "on the side". Boy am I smart or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                        Hey, maybe to save some bucks, I'll call the service station that is supposed to install my new transmission and I'll ask to speak to the transmission mechanic on the phone, and I'll ask to him to so "on the side". Boy am I smart or what?
                        if it works go for it
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                          if it works go for it
                          No thanks. I may be a cold-hearted, ruthless businessman, but I am also extremely honest. The other day the supply house accidently didn't charge me for 7 pressure regulators valued at over $300. I walked in today and told them about the mistake and paid for them. The counter guy was shocked.

Comment

Because he is your bosses customer he is off limits PERIOD! It's okay to feel bad for the family but the truth is the people met you at your bosses expense.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Our official Employee Handbook says anyone doing sidework will be terminated immedietly. I have yet to see this enforced. It's pretty much a Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy.

Any work outside our normal service area for friends or family is condoned. If it's a regular customer in good standing you would be reprimanded and a signed notice placed in your employee file. The second offence you would likey be terminated without notice.

Fixing a faucet or snaking a drain for an extra $20 Christmas week would be overlooked. A water heater replacement would not

Comment

Working...
                              X