Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ethical question

Originally posted by Tyman
    Well after some thought and reading some posts here I will let him pay the piper. I really don't want any headaches for helping him and we all know how plumbing goes sometimes.

It's really not worth talking to the owner about it. I know he would say go ahead but it is not something I really want to go to bat for. He treats me pretty good and I have never had a better boss.

If you guys knew me you would see that I am not about money. As I posted earlier, I wanted to install it for free, but I just don't feel it is right now. I really feel blessed/gifted with the skills I have and in a small way want to help others.

Habitat is too far from my home maybe the Kiwana's could use me.
    You are better off with this approach.

Comment

This is a question that should have never even been asked. If you doubt your ethics in life, you'll have a hard time keeping a job and long term friends....

Stay on the right path and karma will happen....
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
        This is a question that should have never even been asked.
        Disagree. These are questions that should, and are, always asked. Most of us are always asking ourselves questions, whether we know it or not, about what is right and wrong.

Comment

I once had a customer introduce himself and then explain how he had just gotten laid off.

I felt bad for him but I have a job to do.

I priced the repair, new PRV, he ok'd the work. I did my thing, cleaned up the mess and wrote up the invoice. When I asked for payment, he paid in cash and gave me a $40 tip.

Don't assume anything. I thought for sure this guy was either gonna charge it on a CC or write a bad check. Taught me a real lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by EverettsPHAC View Post
            I once had a customer introduce himself and then explain how he had just gotten laid off.

I felt bad for him but I have a job to do.

I priced the repair, new PRV, he ok'd the work. I did my thing, cleaned up the mess and wrote up the invoice. When I asked for payment, he paid in cash and gave me a $40 tip.

Don't assume anything. I thought for sure this guy was either gonna charge it on a CC or write a bad check. Taught me a real lesson.

I've only had two people try to rip me of in two years. Both of them had plenty of money. I'd trust the guy in the tar paper shack more then the guy in the fancy car.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
              I've only had two people try to rip me of in two years. Both of them had plenty of money. I'd trust the guy in the tar paper shack more then the guy in the fancy car.
              My experience as well many times. I once had a ER surgeon's wife try to stick me for 20K so I hear you all to well.

Comment

Geez. Just tell the customer you'll talk to your boss about it and see what he wants to do. Is your boss that THAT unapproachable that you need to ask about it here first?
                Maybe he'll let you do for a reduced cost or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman
                  Just thought I would get some opinions from a buisness owners point of view.
                  And as a owner I gave my opinion. It's a no-brainer.

PS- Not trying to be snotty.
                  Last edited by Twicepipes; 01-04-2009, 02:27 AM.

Comment

do this for free and he'll expect all future work for free to

or little money

plus what if something goes wrong? leaks? fire? got insurance?

I did a job a couple months ago for an average lady, with an average house that had average furniture, with an average car. She told me how she was alone since her husband had passed, thought I was heading for a sob story. Didn't look like she would have money, quite the opposite. She did not complain about price, just pulled out her checkbook in front of me. The registry total - $78,000, not rich but she could afford me

You can't tell what's in a wallet by it's cover.

good luck
                    Last edited by HebertDrainCare; 01-09-2009, 12:03 AM. Reason: too harsh before?

Comment

I think you made a good decision. When you take into account all the replies in this thread, what you have is not really an *ethical* question but more of a question of personal boundaries -- of what you need to do in order to protect yourself and your future work. From that perspective, it seemed obvious to you that didn't want to set yourself with a sticky situation. Sometimes changing the way you look at the problem makes answering much easier.
                      Martia ~ Alaska Dog Sledding

Comment

These are my few thoughts on sidework...

When doing sidework people expect you to do it for wages, thats why you have a job, if your not getting enough hours in a week you should talk to your boss.

The liabilites will wreck you if it goes bad.

If your gonna do sidework, bite the bullet and go into business for yourself, license, bond, insurance, tools, upkeep, that way everybody plays by the same set of rules. It is not un-ethical take your customers with you, just be sure you can get enough to pay the bills.
                        sigpic
                        www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Working...
                        X