Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
marketing design help Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • marketing design help

    I am rewriting my marketing plan for 2009, and I will be:
    1)Altering my business name
    2)Incorporating
    3)Creating a new website
    4)Getting a logo designed
    5)Redesigning my business cards
    6)Redesigning my phonebook ads

    Any ideas on where to look to hire a marketing designer that won't cost me a trillion dollars? I basically need a graphic designer that can help me with my logo, website and print advertising...all in one. There are about a million graphic designers out there, so I don't know where to start. I'm just a small one-man operation right now, so my budget is limited.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

  • #2
    Re: marketing design help

    Go to your local college and you might find a budding artist! Seriously.

    Why incorporate???

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: marketing design help

      Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
      Go to your local college and you might find a budding artist! Seriously.

      Why incorporate???
      I don't know about down there, up here incorporation has all sorts of advantages for a business from a tax and liability standpoint. You can pay yourself mileage, get a lower business tax rate on money that flows in, options for trust accounts, dividend payouts, etc.

      Plus, if somebody wants to sue you, they sue the corporation, not you personally. Same as if you want to walk away - the creditors come after the corporation, not you.

      Whether you stay small or go big, incorporating is the way to go, in my opinion anyway. My accountant would agree. Costs some money, but it's worth it.
      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: marketing design help

        I found someone already for the job. The internet is awesome.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: marketing design help

          Heck Carl, I was thinking of asking YOU for marketing advice. I think you're probably better at it than you think.

          J.C.
          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-25-2009, 12:00 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: marketing design help

            Originally posted by tinmack View Post
            Plus, if somebody wants to sue you, they sue the corporation, not you personally. Same as if you want to walk away - the creditors come after the corporation, not you.
            That is NOT 100% true. I have talked to several contractors who have been personally sued while incorporated. That is a myth, and that should not be a reason to incorporate. A business should carry enough insurance to take care of anything you do wrong.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: marketing design help

              Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
              I am rewriting my marketing plan for 2009, and I will be:
              1)Altering my business name
              2)Incorporating
              3)Creating a new website
              4)Getting a logo designed
              5)Redesigning my business cards
              6)Redesigning my phonebook ads

              Any ideas on where to look to hire a marketing designer that won't cost me a trillion dollars? I basically need a graphic designer that can help me with my logo, website and print advertising...all in one. There are about a million graphic designers out there, so I don't know where to start. I'm just a small one-man operation right now, so my budget is limited.
              Here is a link to a good friend of mine who has helped me with a lot of logo design work. He is a professional designer and will be fair on his price if you tell him you know me. His name is Aaron and he does great work. He works full time for a design firm but he just started his own gig on the side.

              Tell him you know Jake Saltzman and you need some help with some logo and design work and he will set you right up.

              Here is a link to his web page:

              http://www.customdeluxedesigns.com/i...95044691560466
              www.firstresponsedrain.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: marketing design help

                Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                That is NOT 100% true. I have talked to several contractors who have been personally sued while incorporated. That is a myth, and that should not be a reason to incorporate. A business should carry enough insurance to take care of anything you do wrong.
                I think we need a lawyer here... hmmmm.

                People can sue you no matter what your setup. They could come after you in Civil court for personal assets. Incorporating, insuring, putting things into various positions decreases the % of a suit and losses if one should occur.

                So if you want to be in a better position-incorporation is a good tool for most.

                J.C.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: marketing design help

                  I would agree...but dont think its a cushion and a "cant touch me" all end.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: marketing design help

                    Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                    That is NOT 100% true. I have talked to several contractors who have been personally sued while incorporated. That is a myth, and that should not be a reason to incorporate. A business should carry enough insurance to take care of anything you do wrong.
                    Like I implied in the original post, I don't know about YOUR neck of the woods. As well, a plumber/contractor/etc.would certainly have different liability considerations rather than a regular business. If things went bad/worst case scenario though, I'm pretty sure incorporation would help things go smoother and protect your personal and family interests.

                    The main point, regardless of taxation/liability/whatever, is that you're better off(at least in my experience, your mileage may vary) being incorporated than being a sole proprietorship who does his own tax return. The IRS is probably less likely to dispute a corporate return filed by a chartered accountant.

                    Again, your mileage in your area may vary.

                    Regardless of how anybody else does their business, this thread certainly shows that Carl is moving his business forward to yet another level. And I would assume that's a good thing.
                    Last edited by tinmack; 01-25-2009, 12:01 AM.
                    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: marketing design help

                      Well, my brother-in-law is a tax attorney....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: marketing design help

                        Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                        Regardless of how anybody else does their business, this thread certainly shows that Carl is moving his business forward to yet another level. And I would assume that's a good thing.
                        I agree with that.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: marketing design help

                          I had Logoworks.com design my logo as recommended to me by Drain Medic.

                          I'm currently talking to John with MaxEffect.com about redesigning my failing yellow page ad. He has some nice design samples on his website and cost less than adrevamp.com. I found both of them online.

                          Who did you find online?

                          Lenny

                          Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

                          I know, it doesn't make sense.


                          http://www.hebertdraincare.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: marketing design help

                            For business cards I recommend overnightprints.com. After you get your logo you can take the file and create you business card with their easy to use online program.

                            Just read carefully to make sure your within the limits because no one proofs your card before printing. Whatever you proof online is what your getting. I was successful with my cards, and you can get 2000 cards, front and back glossy, for $89.99. They look great.

                            I get peel and stick business card magnets from Office Depot 100 for $21.00 and stick my cards on them. They pay for themselves easy. I get calls from customers who used me 2 and 3 years ago from my magnets.

                            Lenny

                            Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

                            I know, it doesn't make sense.


                            http://www.hebertdraincare.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: marketing design help

                              I'm concentrating more on my YP ad right now, which is costing a small fortune, and I'll worry about the website redesign later. More people use the YP than internet for our line of work, IMO

                              Lenny

                              Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

                              I know, it doesn't make sense.


                              http://www.hebertdraincare.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X